Painting the High Elf Collection

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

What should I paint next?

Elven Attack Chariot
No votes
Sea Elf Bolt Thrower
18%
MB16 - Giant War Eagle and High Elf Lord
24%
MB17 - High Elf Dragonlord
No votes
MM83 - High Elf Mage on Unicorn
No votes
High Elf Pegasus Rider
24%
Imrik v1
No votes
Imril v2
18%
Eiltharion & Stormwing
12%
Other (character)
No votes
Other (command or Rank and File)
6%

Total votes: 17

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Painting the High Elf Collection

#1 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I've got my High Elf army that I painted something like 100 years ago. The paint is mostly pretty bad, and really chipped. I've decided that army is going to stay that way, at least for the time being.

But in addition to that army (and a couple others) I have a massive collection of High Elves that I've always intended to start painting someday. Well, despite what you heard from CCR someday does sometimes come. They will sometimes see the table, but only as part of the other army as the collection will be one of each scupt. Meaning that there won't be many full units (though they could be used as the front portion of units that are in the original army as my painting is much better now than it was then).

To help with that I've decided to do this to show some pictures and help keep me motivated. I also welcome any suggestions/criticism that will help me improve. This is going to be a lot of painting, I might as well get good at it.

When/If I get a sizable portion of the collection done I'll set up something a little more formal as I think it could actually be a good resource to show what HE minis are out there. I've got everything metal from 4e on, and all the big things from 3rd. It's going to be a slow process, because my main focus will still be Mordheim, but I'm going to make it a point to mix in some elves more often.

I started with 2 units of Shadow Warriors, Alath Anar, and a Mage and Aneur Sword of Twilight from the Mordheim Range. All those can be found in my Mordheim plog (eventually I'll probably put the pictures of them here too).

I'm not sure why, but I decided to do a Lion Chariot with Korhil first. I guess because it'll also expand the old painted army as I've never painted one of these up before (because I've never felt the need to use one mostly). One crew member will be magnetized so that he can be removed and Korhil put in his place. That leaves the option open to use it as a standard lion chariot if it ever finds it's way into a normal game. Anyway, the lions are done and the chariot is started. He's a pic of the Lions.

Here's the part where I want some help (in addition to hearing any thoughts you have on the lions that is). What should I do next? I can't promise I'll listen (because if I decide I want to do something I'll do that) but there's a good chance I will. If you're not sure what any of the poll choices are google "stuff of legends __________".
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Painting the High Elf Collection

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I worked on the chariot a bit today. That thing is more of a pain than I expected....
Iluvatar

#3 Post by Iluvatar »

Mmm... normally I would have voted for the classic chariot, but you probably won't want to paint two chariots in a row (especially if it's a bit of a pain). So definitely the Pegasus Rider! :)

You whole idea seems interesting: it'll be very nice if you can paint and display most of the range as you intend to!
As for the current display, I'd say the saddles/armored bits look nice, but the lions could use a bit more shading (especially the manes and faces). Though it may be an effect of lightning in the picture.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

but the lions could use a bit more shading (especially the manes and faces). Though it may be an effect of lightning in the picture.
A little of both. It wasn't as bad as it looks in the picture, but I brought the highlights on the mane up a little yesterday because I was thinking the same thing.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#5 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, I've still not finished that darn chariot.

However with all the AoS nonsense I decided it was time to paint up on of the first models I ever bought. I don't know why I didn't get to it sooner but I'm glad I didn't because I used enamels back then #-o

It's a 1984 High Elf (text on the front of the base) Elf Maid (on the back of the base). I bought it a few years after 84, but not all that many.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Sort of an update I guess. I took a better picture. Also the chariot is done except for the banner, and both korhils are started.

I'm in a lengthy debate with myself on what to paint next. There are so many things that I want to paint that I'm having a hard time starting any of them...
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, here is the Chariot. Finally. The freehand on the banner isn't everything I'd wish for, but it's major progress for me. All I can do is keep working on improving that skill I guess.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Korhil and his older brother Korhil are done. Just waiting for a nice sunny day to take the pictures. I think I've settled on doing my Middenheim warband next, so there might be a delay on the next HE thing. No idea what it'll be. The everqueen is primed, but I have different thoughts about what to do next every time I look at the minis.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#9 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

And here are the Korhil twins.

I've actually got a handmaiden about half painted because I wanted to get the finecast done and stored in a better way. So I suppose she's next.