PLOG: Myth's defenders of Ulthuan (and their allies)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Myth

Re: PLOG: Myth's defenders of Ulthuan (and their allies)

#31 Post by Myth »

I've been finalizing Star Dragon this evening, it is 99% finished. I still need to add few bits (horns) and complete Lord's shield and lance, but since I'll be quite busy next few days, I'm not sure when I will be able to do that....

Until that time let him fly :)

Asmodai

#32 Post by Asmodai »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Amazing! I wouldn't even remotely know how to start painting something so full of insane awesomeness!!!

Very well done, good sir!
Avendigo

#33 Post by Avendigo »

Great idea pulled of to a pretty high standart!
The only thing still missing imo is the overall contrast (maybe its bc of the photos though), especially on the red armor plates...

Like!
Myth

#34 Post by Myth »

Thank you guys!

@Asmodai: actually it isn't so complicated :) This was my first attempt to make something similar and I'm pleased how it turned. I will find tutorial which I used to produce this, so you will be able to try yourself ;)

@Avendigo: thanks a lot, I really appreciate constructive criticism. Honestly, I'm missing shading on the armor too :) Initially I was trying to make that, there are several red tones on it, but it seems I failed to do it correctly. I'll try to work that out, but can't promises I will do that right away :)

I don't have a time right now, but my main priority is to finalize the rider and after that I'll try to fix these things.
Myth

#35 Post by Myth »

It has passed almost two years when I updated this plog last time.
I quit with WH when EoT Khain was released and moved to some other things.
Luckily The 9th Age emerged, so I decided to take my elves again :)
So, at the beginning of this year I decided to continue painting and I put my focus on characters since I was lacking those and it always bothered me that I haven't treated properly biggest elven heroes.

First thing I painted was lord on horse, 6th edition model:

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#36 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice to see you back :) T9A is pretty good in that sense.

Great painting on the 6th ed. lord. They're not the nicest of horses. But you manage to make him look impressive. I also like the base. Did you make it yourself or did you get it somewhere?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Myth

#37 Post by Myth »

Thanks Rod! Nice to see you guys again ;)
Old horses are kind of static, new one has better pose and cloth/bardings. I have this model long time ago and I missed cavalry heros, so I decided to go with it.
Base is made by Scibor, Elven Ruins theme, check out their site they have some really good product.
What I found even better are basing kits, where you get pieces with dedicated theme to build your custom base.

Next chap to be painted was the strongest Elf alive, Korhil.
I've proxy him in few battles and he did very well, so I decided to reward him.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#38 Post by SpellArcher »

Myth wrote:First thing I painted was lord on horse, 6th edition model
5th!

:)

Superb work, as always. Horse model is a bit blocky but I kind of like that.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#39 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Myth wrote:First thing I painted was lord on horse, 6th edition model
5th!

You've been in the hobby too long ;) Though with a great memory for your age ;) :mrgreen:

I like Korhil. Great detail on the face. He looks very grim and indeed like the strongest elf out there. The NMM on the axes is lovely. I would love to be able to paint like that (my blades are always a bit dull).

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Myth

#40 Post by Myth »

Thanks SpellArcher!
If cavalry guy is pre 6th edt, he must have been outstanding one for that time.

Prince of Spires,
NMM is matter of practice and patience. I really believe you could do that and I encourage you to try and gain skill.
From personal experience....don't do that on every model :shock: [-X :D but try it on characters or those who are centerpieces.

Korhil was in line with his buddy Caradrian.
I really liked the model (one of few favorite) and the fluff about that guy, so he must have been painted on high priority.
I tried to make his eyes and the rune on a forehead glow blue to represent presence of Asurian on the Phoenix Guard captain (but it is not that visible on the pic).

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#41 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Myth wrote:Thanks SpellArcher!
There are a lot or really nice high elves from 5th. The metal LSG, the metal silver helms, a couple more decent mounted characters, the everqueen and her maiden guard, and a pretty good number of heros on foot. The only 5e range with more really good models would probably be the Brets.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#42 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
There are a lot or really nice high elves from 5th. The metal LSG, the metal silver helms, a couple more decent mounted characters, the everqueen and her maiden guard, and a pretty good number of heros on foot. The only 5e range with more really good models would probably be the Brets.
What about the unarmoured elf archers? Are they 5th as well? They are much less well known then the metal LSG or maiden guard, but they are my favorite elf models by far. I only have a handful I picked up at one point. But they're great (though I still have to paint them... :shock: ).
Myth wrote:NMM is matter of practice and patience. I really believe you could do that and I encourage you to try and gain skill.From personal experience....don't do that on every model but try it on characters or those who are centerpieces.
Thanks for the encouragement. I remember coming across a great tutorial online about NMM. I might see if I can find it back and give it a try.

I like Caradryan, though I do think that the NMM on Korhil turned out better. Perhaps it's because there is a bit more contrast between the light and dark bits, which works better in a photo. The rune on his forehead looks great and really works. His eyes aren't as clear from the picture.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#43 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

What about the unarmoured elf archers? Are they 5th as well? They are much less well known then the metal LSG or maiden guard, but they are my favorite elf models by far. I only have a handful I picked up at one point. But they're great (though I still have to paint them... :shock: ).
They are, I can't believe I forgot about those. The armored ones are a mix of 4th/5th, and are mostly pretty good.
Myth

#44 Post by Myth »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Well, yes the core in 6th was a step back comparing the 5th, but specials and rares were improved.
I have 5th edt Silver Helms still in blisters...still waiting to be painted :)

Since you both like old models, I have one really interesting site for you ;)
http://collector-info.com/Manufacturer/ ... Elves.html

There is almost entire HE range of miniatures covered.
My lord on horse name is Eldroth http://collector-info.com/Manufacturer/ ... neral.html
Prince of Spires wrote:Thanks for the encouragement. I remember coming across a great tutorial online about NMM. I might see if I can find it back and give it a try.
You're welcome, can't wait to see the first results. We have monthly pledges, so there is your homework :)
I don't have links for tutorials with the brush, but airbrush is much easier. YT Buypainted has nice short one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7me7OB3XP0
Prince of Spires wrote:I like Caradryan, though I do think that the NMM on Korhil turned out better. Perhaps it's because there is a bit more contrast between the light and dark bits, which works better in a photo. The rune on his forehead looks great and really works. His eyes aren't as clear from the picture.
That is my impression as well. I'm missing the contrasts and additional highlight on Caradrian. He's not varnished yet, so I'll get back to him once I complete few more things.

After this two guys, you can guess that Alith Anar was following. He is also one of my favorite elf (frankly, which high elf isn't my favorite? :) ) .
I tend to make my elves in a bit darker shades, but Alith Anar was supposed to be the darkest one, as a true Shadow King of Nagarythe.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#45 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, yes the core in 6th was a step back comparing the 5th, but specials and rares were improved.
I have 5th edt Silver Helms still in blisters...still waiting to be painted
Shadow Warriors, Phoenix Guard and Dragon Princes were a step up, and 6th added a pile (seriously the number was crazy) of really nice character models.
Right now I'm thinking the White Lions and Swordmasters are also 5e models, but I can't really remember when they got the "new" models. When you take the best of the 5e and 6e models there is no doubt that HE had the best range, Brets are good, and DoW were pretty amazing too but 6e resulted in huge changes for both of those.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#46 Post by SpellArcher »

The last metal Lions and SM's were 5th, replaced by plastics in 8th.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#47 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:The last metal Lions and SM's were 5th, replaced by plastics in 8th.
That's what I thought. But it was during early 6th that I expanded my High Elves from a fieldable army to a ridiculous collection. During 5th I was still using my 4e Swordmasters. (But I did have the "new" white lions, so I should have realized on those). By the time 6th rolled around I had decent income and it was easier to mail order/buy on the internet- and since we had no local game store that made it the first time I could buy minis I wanted rather than just what the store near my grandmothers house had when we visited a couple times a year.

Seriously though, looking back that 5th Edition range was impressive. The parts that were new for 5th still hold up well compared to the newest stuff, and I can't think of any clear misses.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#48 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Seriously though, looking back that 5th Edition range was impressive.
It's my second favourite after 3rd. It had character.
Myth wrote:I have 5th edt Silver Helms still in blisters...still waiting to be painted
Can't wait to see these done!

Myth

#49 Post by Myth »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: Shadow Warriors, Phoenix Guard and Dragon Princes were a step up, and 6th added a pile (seriously the number was crazy) of really nice character models.
Right now I'm thinking the White Lions and Swordmasters are also 5e models, but I can't really remember when they got the "new" models. When you take the best of the 5e and 6e models there is no doubt that HE had the best range, Brets are good, and DoW were pretty amazing too but 6e resulted in huge changes for both of those.
SpellArcher wrote:The last metal Lions and SM's were 5th, replaced by plastics in 8th.
You're right guys and I made confusion....sry for that. I started at 2003. during 6th and ever since I have associated white lions and other metal models with that edition.
(beside new SW, PG, DP, new metal model in 6th was RBT as well...I hope I'm correct now :) )

Now this discussion have made me want to collect Elven army from all editions...at least from 4th onward.....I'm helpless case :D
SpellArcher wrote:
Myth wrote:I have 5th edt Silver Helms still in blisters...still waiting to be painted
Can't wait to see these done!

I haven't planned to paint them in near future but I'll see if I can put them in schedule somewhere in 2017th ;)...although it is already heavily packed.

Next guy to paint was Loremaster. Although I never played him, he was really cool and fluffy. I had to have him armed and ready.
I was struggling with inspiration how to paint him....at the end, I decided to test around different shades of blue with some discrete purple intrusions...like the rest of the army.
Somehow I relay feel that bluish tones fits perfectly with the elves.

Myth

#50 Post by Myth »

At the beginning of the year 2016 I have decided that I will be focus on the special characters.
I always wanted to play with real HE masters and two main characters of the army......you guess, it is about mighty brothers Teclis and Tyrion.
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try them in the battle, but they had to take center place between rest of my elves.

First it was Teclis turn:

Last edited by Myth on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RE.Lee

#51 Post by RE.Lee »

Great painting, the blending is really impressive!

Funny how GW moved back to the older, 5th ed, Teclis model in the latest publications. I like both minis, though I only own a slightly converted 6th ed one ;)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#52 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

You've reminded me how many characters I have to paint. I need to either get going on them or give up an sell them. I'm sure my great grands kids will have no interesting in painting them when I'm gone.
RE.Lee wrote:Great painting, the blending is really impressive!

Funny how GW moved back to the older, 5th ed, Teclis model in the latest publications. I like both minis, though I only own a slightly converted 6th ed one ;)
All I can figure is that he worked better in finecast. There are actually two (very similar) version of the 6e one as well.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#53 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:You've reminded me how many characters I have to paint. I need to either get going on them or give up an sell them. I'm sure my great grands kids will have no interesting in painting them when I'm gone.
This seems to be a very common problem amongst Warhammer players. Everyone seems to have more models lying around then they can hope to paint in the short term. I've tried not to buy anything in the past year or two and I still have a pile of stuff to work through. And it could have been much worse had I given into the temptation to buy stuff when the opportunity was there. E-bay is a killer in that sense. There's always some great finds on there being sold by someone who doesn't know what it is and who just wants to get rid of it...

Rod

Check out my plog

Myth

#54 Post by Myth »

RE.Lee wrote:Great painting, the blending is really impressive!
Thank you very much RE.Lee! ;)
RE.Lee wrote:Funny how GW moved back to the older, 5th ed, Teclis model in the latest publications. I like both minis, though I only own a slightly converted 6th ed one ;)
That is strange, 5th edt model looks more cartoonish and it was fit miniature style at that time. I can't explain why they brought it back.
Personally I like more 6th edt model, better looking and it looks like Teclis I would imagine.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:You've reminded me how many characters I have to paint. I need to either get going on them or give up an sell them. I'm sure my great grands kids will have no interesting in painting them when I'm gone.
Don't give up! Characters are usually much easier to deal with. It is a single model and much easier to start working on them, comparing the several or few dozen models when it comes to a units.
By picking up single character, you can put more effort in that model and give him more time and patience to accomplish better result.
I have started this year with characters only and it was really fun and it wasn't a burden like it was when painting unit.
Go pick one from your collection and start working on it. I believe it will trigger more hobby activity further on ;)
Prince of Spires wrote:
This seems to be a very common problem amongst Warhammer players. Everyone seems to have more models lying around then they can hope to paint in the short term. I've tried not to buy anything in the past year or two and I still have a pile of stuff to work through. And it could have been much worse had I given into the temptation to buy stuff when the opportunity was there. E-bay is a killer in that sense. There's always some great finds on there being sold by someone who doesn't know what it is and who just wants to get rid of it...

Rod
Rod, I think you open very good topic to discuss :) . I would gladly continue this conversation and share my experience and problems with it, but I think it would be really good if you open new thread for this hobby issue ;)
Last edited by Myth on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Myth

#55 Post by Myth »

I started to paint Tyrion somewhere in May/Jun 2016, but the summer had come and simply he had to wait for better timing :)
Finally, I made my self to start hobby activities again after ETC, so Tyrion was completed in September.

I hope I will be able to field him one day. RIP Lord Tyrion and HE :(

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#56 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I started to paint Tyrion somewhere in May/Jun 2016, but the summer had come and simply he had to wait for better timing
I know that feeling. I have a handmaiden and everqueen that I started back then. I haven't gotten around to finishing them yet, but they are back on the painting table, so that's a start.

Good job. Both in terms of actually getting the job done, and the the result. I really like the base.
Myth

#57 Post by Myth »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
I started to paint Tyrion somewhere in May/Jun 2016, but the summer had come and simply he had to wait for better timing
I know that feeling. I have a handmaiden and everqueen that I started back then. I haven't gotten around to finishing them yet, but they are back on the painting table, so that's a start.

Good job. Both in terms of actually getting the job done, and the the result. I really like the base.
Thank you Shannar, I'm glad you like it! :)
Base is made out of Scibors Ancient Ruins 40mm resin base which is placed on 50mm plastic base. I needed to slightly modify Scibor base in order to put Tyrion's original part with dead druchii on it. This is metal model and it was a bit difficult to pin and strengthen horse and the rider since it is heavy and only stands on one horse leg....

For the painting issues, from my experience.....it is hard to start again once you made a longer pause...it requires mental preparation :) and self motivation :) .....BUT once you start you get burst and then it is easy to proceed.....it is just that first step you need to make and get over it ;)
Myth

#58 Post by Myth »

Next was a Lord on the dragon. I've painted dragon two years ago, but soon after I moved away some time from WH, so the rider remained pending.
I decided to finish it now and complete this centerpiece model for the army.

Back then, it was supposed to be a Star Dragon....I guess it is obvious :)

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#59 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm never sure what to think when people do the wings like that, and do a nice job of it (when it's lousy there is no dilemma). It looks really cool. I'm just not sure I like dragon wings with images on them. I do understand the temptation, it's a big surface. It makes it seem like it needs "something", and it's also a rare opportunity on fantasy models.

I've made bases similar to those with foam, I get a bit frustrated with the level of care that those require though.
Myth

#60 Post by Myth »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I'm never sure what to think when people do the wings like that, and do a nice job of it (when it's lousy there is no dilemma). It looks really cool. I'm just not sure I like dragon wings with images on them. I do understand the temptation, it's a big surface. It makes it seem like it needs "something", and it's also a rare opportunity on fantasy models.

I've made bases similar to those with foam, I get a bit frustrated with the level of care that those require though.
Thanks Shannar!
I also think is very cool :wink: since it gives special kind of flavor to the model. Somehow it defines character and personality for the model. I'm so sorry that I'm not able to add more free hand painting on my models, so work like this is some sort of compensation. And true what you have mentioned, there are really few models in fantasy which gives such opportunity due to the scale.
I have plans to do the similar for dragon mage and make flames on the wings, thunder lightnings for the ancient and some sort of treebranches for wooden dragon.