Truescale High Elves

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Giladis
The Merlord

Re: Truescale High Elves

#91 Post by Giladis »

This is some truly amazing stuff!

The model that caught my attention the most is the old White Lion artwork based one.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#92 Post by SpellArcher »

Avendigo wrote:should work now... I guess?
I (and several others on here) use Imgur but I’m seeing your pics fine now Avendigo. Very striking indeed.
Olthannon

#93 Post by Olthannon »

Can see the pics now, looks great. My only slight criticism may be that either your putty or paint is slightly grainy which is giving the models a slightly weird texture, but the painting is amazing. Can't wait to see more.
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#94 Post by Prince of Spires »

Love the models as well. They radiate so much character. Great to see.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ielthan

#95 Post by Ielthan »

I'm so happy this project is still going! This has been my favourite ever hobby blog since I first came across it, your High Elves are what I think a lot of us always wanted them to be, close to the 6th ed artwork. I'd happily ebay my army if these were sold as a range. Your painting skills are on another level, not just technically but from an artistic sense too, your true metallics and eye for palette is just unreal man, I'm in awe. Please keep going!
Avendigo

Re: Truescale High Elves - the Blind Elf and the Sea

#96 Post by Avendigo »

This Project is coming to a finish, with only the last touches left on the base and the banner.

I decided to scrap the idea of a jungle/ruins base and instead went for a combination of an elven staircase and rough waters - a setting during the Sundering of sorts.
I am quite happy with the Base, as it is my first showbase creation and also the first time working with water effects. There are lots of different overpainted layers of water underneath the visible surface - I had to try all of the possible ways to make water, until I found, what I was looking for...
Pictures of the finished project will be done by Sunday/Monday i hope.

Let me hear your thoughts!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#97 Post by SpellArcher »

Very ambitious and completely pulls it off.

=D>
Avendigo

#98 Post by Avendigo »

at this point the project wanders of into the cabinet. everything is glued into place, a few corrections still needed (like removing the piece of blu tack from under the front guy)
As this unit was initially planned for gaming purposes, there is a full command group involved. Maybe one day, wenn there are actually enough finished models, I will pluck them from this display base and put them on gaming bases. One day... :roll:
Last edited by Avendigo on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#99 Post by Galharen »

Amazing! Monochropatic scene looks totally awesome, I really like the concept.
I've focused myself on gaming models and I totally forgot about displey models, which I miss right now after seeing your paintjob.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#100 Post by Prince of Spires »

Amazing indeed. The monochrome color scheme is great. And I love the poses of the different swordmaster models. I actually like the command models in there. I think the central model deserves a command group to accompany him. And it makes the model more interesting (and adds some height with the banner as well).

How did you do the water effect? I especially love the waves splashing on the sides

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Avendigo

#101 Post by Avendigo »

I put a step-by-step on my recently opened instagram account - link below
It's way easier to upload WIPs that way I noticed :-D

https://www.insta9pho.com/media/2081622 ... zjaJ3jguom

basically I tried out lots of different things and ended up mixing them all together - heated clear plastic roughened around the edges with a dremel, tissue paper soaked in clear resin / vallejos still water (water effect), cotton wool soaked in still water, mixing still water with a little bit of snow/foam effect and crushed glass). Probably a little less have been more, but I wanted to try out all these cool techniques... :-D
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#102 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the instagram link. It gives a nice overview. I love all the technique you put into the model. It's one of the joys of these kinds of projects, you get to try all sorts of new things. I always learn a lot in a very short time in this way.

Check out my plog

bloody nunchucks

#103 Post by bloody nunchucks »

I am thrilled to have just discovered this blog. A couple years ago I got into Kings of War so that I could continue to use my glorious high elves to fight out square based fantasy battles. Your color scheme looks like it would fair well with airbrushing and I'm wondering if you've dabbled in that at all.

Your display base with the models on it is exceptionally beautiful.
I used to play:
High Elves
Tau
Retribution of Scyrah
Avendigo

#104 Post by Avendigo »

Well, I owned a second hand airbrush for a long time, but didn't use it much often, as for each minute spraying I spent 30 minutes cleaning.
This spring I got a new airbrush and started to absolutely abuse the sh**** out of it. I'm still spending much time on cleaning, but the results are really nice. The 60% of the banner bearer of the swordmaster unit and 95% of the base are done airbrushing.