Under the vaults of Elugin's Arcanaeum - The Beginning

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elugin

Under the vaults of Elugin's Arcanaeum - The Beginning

#1 Post by Elugin »

Welcome my friends, welcome to my Arcanaeum: my place of knowledge, my place of creations.

After more than two years of watching at the images of your work and now, finally, I open the doors of my tower to you.

Why waiting two years? Simply put, it took me so long before I finally managed to put my hands again on my elves. So, now I open this space for pictures, question, comment, answers, and more.

Just to let you know, my interest is not only for High Elves, you'll find also Grey Knights, Orks (40K of course), and Eldar.

I'll keep updating this first post with pictures of finished models and link of particular interest, the rest will be... well, what this sort of topic is supposed to be :wink:
Stargazer. Master of the Deep Sky.
Elugin

Re: Under the vaults of Elugin's Arcanaeum - The Beginning

#2 Post by Elugin »

First post of pictures.

Here is what I'm working on at the moment. Since batch painting can become tedious I decided to paint to completely different units at the same time, since I'm planning to use very similar palettes.

The picture is not at the best quality, I was packing before taking the flight to vacation.

Full squad of Grey Knights. A fully magnetized unit (arms, weapons, and backpacks), here is only basecoated (except the single Knight I already painted as a trial). Brown is the base for white.

My unit of Phoenix Guards. They are probably far away from my usual High Elves color scheme, but that's the way I figure them. Once again, simple basecoat.

and the back:

RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice job, keep it up! :)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Elugin

#4 Post by Elugin »

I'm a very slow painter so, while I keep on working on red tones, I post some pictures of my elven army. I was back at home in Italy for vacation and I decided to clean from dust my army sitting idle in the display and I took the chance to take some pictures.

Group photo:

A close look at the heroes:

Some cavalry

As you can see, it's really time traveling...

Infantry

Heavy weapons

And some flying goodness ;)

Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#5 Post by Domine Nox »

Very nice, love all the old school models. Especially the Shadow Warriors, I have some of those but can't stomach to use them now that Shadow Warrior models have come so far.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Elugin

#6 Post by Elugin »

I agree with you, Shadow Warriors get better at any new edition. Sadly this time they made it in those "multi choice" packages: a lot of useless pieces (either the maidens or the warriors) at twice the cost... so, no upgrade.

And now, a few more pics from the cleaning day.

Let's start with some history. These are the very first models I painted 2x (where x is a digit too big to be accepted by my brain) years ago.
sometimes I think I should repaint them, but they are history ;)
Then came these
This is not so old (its actually only 4 years old), but it's my wife's D&D PG, I have to show it :p

And now my 40K armies, Orks:

I painted the army in about two weeks of frenzy, in time to play at a tournement... that was crazy!
Close up of boss and burnas:

Eldar, I was fascinated by the oooold craftworld codex and the superspecialized team of Biel Tan, here is my army, still in total white...

And finally... GKs... here is about half of my army, the other half is in Miami (supposedly I should paint it...):

Next time, an update on the Phoenix Guard.
RE.Lee

#7 Post by RE.Lee »

Wow, thats a lot of miniatures! Love the classic High Elves - its a collection to be proud of =D> 4th ed Silver Helms is not something you see very often nowadays (I only have one somewhere...), same with the Mark I shadow warriors (funny how often they change the sculpts for these, by the way, its been 4 designs now?). Phoenix Guard does seem to be the only thing missing so I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out. Which edition models have you got?
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Elugin

#8 Post by Elugin »

And proud of the collection indeed I am. 4th Ed. is when it all began (for me). Ir is true, I miss the old Phoenix Guard, and the Reavers as well, but I did not like those model and I waited for the new designs. What I regret, instead, is letting go the old metal Seaguard.
Elugin

#9 Post by Elugin »

Finally, some painting updates. I'm usually a very slow painter, now things of life take more time than expected from painting.

Here is one of the Phoenix Guard. So far I'm done with the red for all the unit members (meaning cloaks and gowns).

Front:

And back:

Now I have to figure out which is the best color for the flames on the back of the cloaks...

My original plan was to have golden flames, but it would be a really hard task to give them light, shadows, and life. The alternative is to use white and yellows... any suggestions?
Elugin

#10 Post by Elugin »

A long time without updates, but I did not disappear.

Here are the Phoenix Guard models, it's only five of them to show better the back, the other five are at the same stage, however. So, where am I? The cloaks are done. I had to repaint the golden flames at least three times to get a result I can be happy with: so maaany hours.
First I went with the outline of the flames in Shining Gold, followed by a thin layer of Shining gold all over the bottom band of the cloaks, more layers for the edges to be highlighted. At this stage I found a positively surprising effect: the golden paint really reflected differently depending on the direction of light and he position of the observer. Then some more red mix to redefine the shadows. More Shining gold and red to correct the shape. Finally I used Burnished Gold for the outline of the flames and the brightest spots. And here is the result:

Now it's time to move on with these elves but it's also time to go back home to Italy to spend the season holidays with family. Don't expect any updates before one month ;)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#11 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Elugin wrote:And proud of the collection indeed I am. 4th Ed. is when it all began (for me). Ir is true, I miss the old Phoenix Guard, and the Reavers as well, but I did not like those model and I waited for the new designs. What I regret, instead, is letting go the old metal Seaguard.
It looks much like my army. I love seeing others with the oldies out there. One of the proudest points of my collection is that I have every sculp of the seaguard. There have been times when I almost quit warhammer, but the seaguard have kept me in.

The scythed wheels on your chariot make me smile as well. That used to be the only way to go to make them usefull. Mine are still running around with extra horses as well. Very nice collection with a lot of the classics.

If you are interested I do have a few of the old seagurd up for sale or trade (trade always being prefered). Not enough for a whole unit, but enough for a start. I can't think of a place I'd rather see them go then to get added to that army.
Tzineris

#12 Post by Tzineris »

Impressive collection you got there my friend! :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Elugin

#13 Post by Elugin »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: The scythed wheels on your chariot make me smile as well. That used to be the only way to go to make them usefull. Mine are still running around with extra horses as well. Very nice collection with a lot of the classics.
The extra horses! How could I forget the extra horses for the picture? It was the right time to let them breath some fresh air.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:If you are interested I do have a few of the old seagurd up for sale or trade (trade always being prefered). Not enough for a whole unit, but enough for a start. I can't think of a place I'd rather see them go then to get added to that army.
Trade has only one drawback: I am too jealous of my models! :D I think that I could even find hard to be part of the Secret Santa project ;)
Elugin

#14 Post by Elugin »

elugin wrote:Time for some updates... not much to be honest.

For the GK squad. All metals base done. Washes done as well (blue wash in recesses, then black everywhere and devlan mud over shining gold). Now it's time to highlight.

Same thing for the Elves. Before highlighting, however, I'm going to paint faces.
Jimmy
Centurion

#15 Post by Jimmy »

Some fantastic old school models there.

You're going to be busy for a long time that's for sure!! :D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Elugin

#16 Post by Elugin »

I have been busy for a long time, trust me. I could end up in medal position in a slow painting contest :D
beencounter

#17 Post by beencounter »

The phoenix guard are coming along nicely!
Elugin

#18 Post by Elugin »

I've been sidetracked by other projects, delayed by things of life, and my painting is as slow as ever. But finally I'm back!

The GK squad is almost ready, as you can see. I still have to paint the blades, some blue OSL from the weapons, and take care of the basing.

I know, this is the High elves forum and I should post HE pics, but I have none right now. Actually I took some, but the light was poor and they are too bad for publishing. I'll try again next time there is some sunlight.
Elugin

#19 Post by Elugin »

And here is my Phoenix Guard. It took my months, but finally this is done.

Not the best pictures but I still to get a decent camera, after I destroyed my old one.
solith

#20 Post by solith »

I really like the way you've done the cloaks: the deep red on the outside and the white on the inside. It's a good contrast and it's very impressive how smooth and clean you've kept both. Well done! :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Elugin

#21 Post by Elugin »

And finally, here is their leader. It took me much longer than I expected to finish this model, actually it was almost ready by the end of December. I only had to paint the phoenix on the cloak. Then came a lot of things of life, but mostly I was rather disappointed by the End Time and I lost part of my enthusiasm... Now I am getting over it.

Elugin

#22 Post by Elugin »

This time something non elvish, from my Grey Knight project.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#23 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

but mostly I was rather disappointed by the End Time and I lost part of my enthusiasm... Now I am getting over it.
That happened to a lot of us. I kept going by completing the change back to mordheim. Not sure if I'll ever got back to warhammer or not. I'll (slowly) paint up the HE collection, but as far as games or armies go I'll likely stick with old hammer and the stuff I already have painted.
Andrew_uk

#24 Post by Andrew_uk »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
but mostly I was rather disappointed by the End Time and I lost part of my enthusiasm... Now I am getting over it.
That happened to a lot of us. I kept going by completing the change back to mordheim. Not sure if I'll ever got back to warhammer or not. I'll (slowly) paint up the HE collection, but as far as games or armies go I'll likely stick with old hammer and the stuff I already have painted.
It's really sad the way GW have taken things, change is an opportunity for them to improve the game but the game isn't improving. Rather than stepping away from the hobby though this is an opportunity instead for you and your gaming group to improve the game.

Grab your favourite edition and use that as a starting point - then just rewrite the BRB with all the changes you felt were needed then each of the army books you have within your group
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#25 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, we've mostly moved away from warhammer anyway. The length of a game being one of the problems. When we do play it's usually 3rd, with house rules for any new stuff people want to use.
Elugin

#26 Post by Elugin »

Hi all, here I am back after a long time.

I have been working only on a model, from my Gray Knights range. For those of you familiar with the Dread Knight model, I converted it quite a lot, to give it a more dynamic pose and a teleport device. Then it took me forever to paint it.

Weapons are interchangeable.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#27 Post by SpellArcher »

Intricate job!

I like the blues especially.
Elugin

Under the vaults of Elugin's Arcanaeum - Project Mystara

#28 Post by Elugin »

Hi all, I haven't been posting but worked hard on my new project.

A quick introduction before I go in more details. The project turned out to be a completely GW-free (except fro paints... but I am not there yet). So I decided to test my skills with a non GW model close to my target. And here is the result, the model is a female paladin out of a set of 3, from Fenryll.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Being satisfied with the results I decided to move on so let me introduce you to Project Mystara. For those of you that know the name, this project is related to D&D. The idea is to give form to the most important characters of my last two decades of gaming. At the moment I am focusing on the PCs, later on I might include some villains and a diorama (so a rebased all the models according to a precise theme, ruined evil temple).

I'll begin with the group of heroes that flourished under my Mastering guide.

In alphabetical order, the first is Abner, a rogue/ranger from Oceansend. The original model is Hawk, from Dark Swords:

I adjusted a few details with the equipment and here is the current version of Abner:
Image Image

Then there is Asc'Ling, a Glantrian necromancer (actually, he's a lich...). I picked the model from Avatars of War:

Here is my take after some minor changes, my plan is to give most of the flavor with colors:
Image Image

Next is Diadra, an Hinterlander cleric of Valerias. Valerias is the goddess of love and passion (much like Aphrodite) and her clerics usually solve problems using social skills rather then weapons or spells. This model from Guild of Harmony is pretty close to the concept (without being too slutty).

I added a sword (no hero goes completely disarmed, golems apparently are immune to feminine charme...) and a rose (Valerias' symbol). I rotated the forearm so that the pose doesn't look silly.
Image Image

Lucrezia Elengaer is an elven druid (rather uncommon for the Minrothaddan elves). The model is from Reaper Miniatures:

Lucrezia has an animal companion, an old stoat named Erminio. Since I could not find any suitable model I sculpted one, it's been probably my first sculpting besides some minor conversions.
Image Image

Olaf is a paladin from the Northern Reaches. I could not find any convincing model equipped with a two-handed sword so I chose a classic cool model from Reapers:

No conversions, here, just a demon's head you should know pretty well...
Image Image

And finally Phelonius, mage from Alfheim. One more model from Reaper

Usually Phelonius wears a magic pot over his head. That was impossible to do with the hood, so the pot is momentarily on the ground (probably just magically refilled with food).
Image Image

That's it for the main group. Then there is my wife's character, she crossed ways with some of the heroes. She's Elahna, a young paladin. The model is from Dark Sword:

No conversions in this case, only a new base.
Image Image

Finally, my PC (from a different campaing and setting, but I want to include him in this project). Here's Eurk, a violent half-ork barbarian. Model from Russian Alternative (by the way, they make great models for Warhammer Fantasy):

He wears his step-brother's hand (he cut it off because the brother didn't want to lend him some money..), I added it. I am still thinking if I want to remove some of the Warhammer Chaos symbols, after all Eurk hates demons.
Image Image

Eurk is not a nice guy and, while raiding a village with a band of thugs, he kidnapped Naidra, now his slave. He's teaching her how to fight so that one day she can get her revenge (trying to kill him... Eurk is not that smart...). Model from Dark Sword:

No conversions, just a new base:
Image Image

That's all for now, soon I'll start painting, stay tuned.

For future reference, the GIMP tools to remove the background are rather coarse and remove also some of the image if you don't pay attention, That's why some of the pics are missing bits... I'll be more careful next time.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#29 Post by Prince of Spires »

Some great models in there. Thanks for sharing :)

My favorites are probably
- the necromancer Asc'Ling; Lots of character. He looks evil without being cartoony 'watch me being evil...'
- Lucrezia; lovely and relatively simple model with some great painting options I think. And the animal companion is a great addition. Does something interesting with the base.
- Phelonius; again, with the big flat surfaces a lot of painting options. Especially for a better painter then me :) Also, he has something mysterious. A lot of character in the model without the need for silly gimmicks on the model. Something GW recently doesn't seem to understand...

I'm not sold on Naidra. The leaning back pose looks a bit silly to me. Also the outfit can't be practical... Though that's a fairly standard female fantasy outfit I guess.

Keep us updated on the painting :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#30 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:- Lucrezia; lovely and relatively simple model with some great painting options I think. And the animal companion is a great addition. Does something interesting with the base.
+1, very promising!