How to paint white lions (the actual lions!)?

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

How to paint white lions (the actual lions!)?

#1 Post by Ferny »

Hi guys,

Looking for the basics on how to paint these guys. Their manes and armour I'm happy enough with, but I'm a bit stuck on their hides. They've got large, flat areas which need to be some variant of white, and I've no idea how to go beyond just a flat base-colour of something like bleached bone.

What base-later paint do you use? What do you build up to? How do you achieve something non-flat on the big, featureless areas of hide (as opposed to the legs/main which have got more sculpted detail, which I'm a bit happier about dealing with).

I'm very very much not a pro painter and just looking for simple tips for tabletop standard.

Thanks in advance for any tips and help :)
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Turion Rilyaloce

Re: How to paint white lions (the actual lions!)?

#2 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Base coat Ushabti Bone or Zandri Dust, wash with Angrax earthshade, layer screaming skull, dry brush tyrant skull or praxeti white. Glaze with lamian medium.

The dry brush will give a bit of artificial texture, which you then blend to the desired gradient with lamian medium.

This is for white lions with a bit of off white tinge. If you want a very white lion, substitute the yellowish whites with the very light greys.
[color=#8000BF]Take a voyage to Tor Caled and behold Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the mighty Laurëdraugnir as well as their Caledorian host.http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46899[/color]
Nyeave

#3 Post by Nyeave »

Here are pics of my lions. I did them pretty simple by painting them all Dheneb Stone, washing the face and the mane with Devlan Mud.
The mane was then drybrushed with Dheneb Stone and then Skull White
The face was layered with Dheneb Stone and then the face and body got a layer/highlight of a 1:1 mix of Dheneb Stone and Skull White.

Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#4 Post by Ferny »

Turion Rilyaloce wrote:Base coat Ushabti Bone or Zandri Dust, wash with Angrax earthshade, layer screaming skull, dry brush tyrant skull or praxeti white. Glaze with lamian medium.

The dry brush will give a bit of artificial texture, which you then blend to the desired gradient with lamian medium.

This is for white lions with a bit of off white tinge. If you want a very white lion, substitute the yellowish whites with the very light greys.
Thanks - looks like I'd better buy some new paint colours - I've not even heard of most of those!

Basecoat and drybrush I understand well, but what's layering?

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

Nyeave wrote:Here are pics of my lions. I did them pretty simple by painting them all Dheneb Stone, washing the face and the mane with Devlan Mud.
The mane was then drybrushed with Dheneb Stone and then Skull White
The face was layered with Dheneb Stone and then the face and body got a layer/highlight of a 1:1 mix of Dheneb Stone and Skull White.
They look nice and sound pleasingly simple. Is the body simply just Dheneb Stone?

PS - Nice base :). It doesn't show brilliantly on the angle of the photo, but what's the spiky thing on the ground? Looks interesting but can't quite make it out.

Nyeave

#6 Post by Nyeave »

The body is Dheneb Stone with a 1:1 Dheneb Stone/Skull White highlight.

The 2 pieces of battle debris is a chopped up chaos warrior helm and a chaos marauder shield
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#7 Post by Ferny »

Perfect, thanks :)

Turion Rilyaloce

#8 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Layering is when you gradually build up from your base coat to your highlights while leaving bit of each of the previous layer showing. You would base coat the entire model. The first layer would go on top leaving the base coat and shading visible. The next layer would be only where light would strike, and the next would be thinner. It's basically just making sure there is a smooth transition through all your highlighting.
[color=#8000BF]Take a voyage to Tor Caled and behold Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the mighty Laurëdraugnir as well as their Caledorian host.http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46899[/color]
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#9 Post by Ferny »

OK - I'm back on this again...

Anyone know what the up-to-date GW colours are? Also, is there a handy crib to what is meant by foundation, base, layer, etc. I've cracked out my paints for the first time in a long time and am slowly (painfully) finding out which ones are still useable and which have dried up beyond redemption...

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

This is my goto guide when I go from one paint range to another: https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Pain ... lity_Chart. It's the most complete one I've found so far.

Here is GW own explanation of what their paints do: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ci ... aint-Guide

basically:
- base paints contain more pigments per drop. They are meant to be used as a first layer on models when you want the best coverage on the model.
- Layer / edge paints are the regular paints. They should go over the base layers
- Shade / glaze: these are the washes. Never really found out the difference between them

Hope this helps you get started.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.