Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:12 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

At one point I was going to do this, then I was going to paint an original and a new horse for each reaver, then I settled back on originals only. Now I'll just be happy if I ever actually get them painted haha.

Honestly though, I've grown to like the ugly old horses. The only problem I have is that my 4 units of reavers all have rather drastically different horses. It's also one of the rare units where I think I like the plastics better than the metals. The horses have a lot to do with that, so I understand your switch. Even with the reins hanging in midair they are huge a step up. Did you think about extending them to the hands though? It probably wouldn't be to hard to do, but I'm not sure if it would look better or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:05 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Nice. I like them. I agree with you on the horses (as do most people). Though I like the old model. And I don't like painting horses anyway, so for me it's fine either way.

Rod

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:43 am 
Pendragon

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
At one point I was going to do this, then I was going to paint an original and a new horse for each reaver, then I settled back on originals only. Now I'll just be happy if I ever actually get them painted haha.

Honestly though, I've grown to like the ugly old horses. The only problem I have is that my 4 units of reavers all have rather drastically different horses. It's also one of the rare units where I think I like the plastics better than the metals. The horses have a lot to do with that, so I understand your switch. Even with the reins hanging in midair they are huge a step up. Did you think about extending them to the hands though? It probably wouldn't be to hard to do, but I'm not sure if it would look better or not.

I thought about extending the reigns, but decided against it. It's too much work for such a small payoff, and I am not confident enough in my sculpting skills to do it anyways. I'm sure you will get them painted eventually, took me about 8 years to do it right too :D

Prince of Spires wrote:
Nice. I like them. I agree with you on the horses (as do most people). Though I like the old model. And I don't like painting horses anyway, so for me it's fine either way.

Rod

Next up, Silver Helms

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

Do those get new horses too? If anything the silver helm ones are even worse as they carry a brick under their chin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 pm 
Pendragon

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Do those get new horses too? If anything the silver helm ones are even worse as they carry a brick under their chin.

They are a special project that is shaping up nicely. I should have pictures up later this week :)

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:41 pm 
Green Istari

The Reavers have a nice sense of movement.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:55 pm 
Pendragon

[quote=SpellArcher]The Reavers have a nice sense of movement.[/quote]
They did turn out that way, which is a good thing given their role. I'm pretty pleased :)

Now, the promised Silver Helms! Only downside is that I have no idea where their bases are, and I don't have shields for all of them. There's also only 9 of them, which is a really awkward number. Goes to show that you shouldn't put off projects for too long...

I had a base for one of them, so here's a better picture of what they look like individually:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:16 pm 

Those shoulder-pads (because arms are important!), those helmets - great conversions! Missing bases on painted models is a really bizarre thing #-o A 9 strong unit is nothing unusual - I typically take 9, to make it 10 with a BSB.

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:17 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Great conversions indeed. At first glance you can't really see they are conversions, which is always a great sign. I like the green. It works very well with the white and gold.

And the missing bases are really weird. Though it should be easy to solve. They're not that hard to come by online (like 10 x 25mm x 50mm Black Plastic Cavalry Slotta Bases.

9 is not a bad number for them, though it does mean you have slightly less flexibility then with a unit of 10. But 9 + BSB is a good unit. Especially for slightly smaller army sizes like 2000pts.

Rod

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:03 am 
Pendragon

RE.Lee wrote:
Those shoulder-pads (because arms are important!), those helmets - great conversions!

Thank you, I felt that the IoB Reavers needed some help to look "heavier", and the helmets and shoulder-pads were a fairly easy solution :)

Prince of Spires wrote:
Great conversions indeed. At first glance you can't really see they are conversions, which is always a great sign. I like the green. It works very well with the white and gold.

Thank you :) . I thought about including more browns, but the only places I could think of putting brown was the lance, and that didn't look right (also I am far too lazy to repaint all the weapons I have).

RE.Lee wrote:
Missing bases on painted models is a really bizarre thing #-o

It really is!

Prince of Spires wrote:
And the missing bases are really weird.

I know!

Prince of Spires wrote:
Though it should be easy to solve. They're not that hard to come by online (like 10 x 25mm x 50mm Black Plastic Cavalry Slotta Bases.

Awesome, I'll order some :)

RE.Lee wrote:
A 9 strong unit is nothing unusual - I typically take 9, to make it 10 with a BSB.

Prince of Spires wrote:
9 is not a bad number for them, though it does mean you have slightly less flexibility then with a unit of 10. But 9 + BSB is a good unit. Especially for slightly smaller army sizes like 2000pts.

You two seem to be on the same page a lot :lol: . 9 for me is a bit awkward because a) it looks silly on the shelf, b) I don't have any mounted heroes at the moment, and c) our group is probably moving on to Kings of War as a ruleset in the future, so it's got to be either 5 or 10.

Thank you both for your kind words though! Next up are some archers!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:38 am 

:D

For KoW 9 might be awkward, true. For 8th edition deploying them 3x3 is often a good idea - making that Martial Prowess work!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:16 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

Quote:
9 for me is a bit awkward because a) it looks silly on the shelf, b) I don't have any mounted heroes at the moment, and c) our group is probably moving on to Kings of War as a ruleset in the future, so it's got to be either 5 or 10.

The great thing about kings of war is that you don't remove the models as casualties, so you don't really need all 10. Just make a base or movement tray that that's the right size.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:07 pm 
Pendragon

That is certainly true, but what if I want to come back to Warhammer at some point :lol: ?

Quick question, does anyone have ideas on how to "high elfify" Glade Guard? The models look quite nice, but they are almost too stealthy, looking like Shadow Warriors.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:51 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

Luna Guardian wrote:
That is certainly true, but what if I want to come back to Warhammer at some point :lol: ?

Quick question, does anyone have ideas on how to "high elfify" Glade Guard? The models look quite nice, but they are almost too stealthy, looking like Shadow Warriors.

So go with the movement tray that fits the 10 then. the models are still removable for warhammer in that case. You can just fill the last spot with a terrain feature or the like.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:43 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Luna Guardian wrote:

Head swap + paint job to match the rest of the army. That goes a long way to turning them into HE models instead of WE ones.

Rod

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:11 am 
Pendragon

Prince of Spires wrote:
Head swap + paint job to match the rest of the army. That goes a long way to turning them into HE models instead of WE ones.

Also removing the capes, probably. Which heads would you recommend? The GG bodies are very unarmored, so spear helmets look a little out of place (also the GG were cast far better and less bulky than the spears). I have the heads left over from the IoB reavers, might try those...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:17 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

i'd say archer heads would work, but those are so bad that I can't recommend them. They'd still be a step up though, as they don't have the tree armor bits that the glade guard do. And the one spearman head without a helmet is ok.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:21 pm 
Pendragon

Minor update, the archers are coming along, slowly but surely. Still WIP, but you'll get the idea of what they'll look like once ready :)

Last edited by Luna Guardian on Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:48 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

Those have worked out pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:19 pm 

Nice conversion but the head looks a bit too big right now, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:30 pm 

Yes the head looks too big. Blame gw and their sloppy scales

Follow the dramatic battles and events occured in the ''island of gods'' 4 armies campaign!

Terrae Autocratorum. A space marines log..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:49 pm 
Pendragon

Mireadur wrote:
Yes the head looks too big. Blame gw and their sloppy scales

What he said. I'm hoping that once they are painted and in a unit the head issue won't be so notable. After all, black is slimming :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:50 pm 

:mrgreen:

Follow the dramatic battles and events occured in the ''island of gods'' 4 armies campaign!

Terrae Autocratorum. A space marines log..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:59 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

nope, the heads are not too big. The rest of the body is simply too small.

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:40 am 

I suggest using the Sigmarines Heavy Bolter troop bodies (you know which ones I'm talking about)!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:53 pm 
Pendragon

Minor update, I'm painting a mockup to see how the archers would look with a paint scheme and if the heads truly are enormous. Though still WIP, I am reasonably happy with how the archer is turning out.

Last edited by Luna Guardian on Mon May 21, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:40 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

The heads are clearly large, but not beyond acceptable levels.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:27 am 

Yup. The heads used to be larger back in the days - you can see that in SpellArcher's old-school army.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:44 am 
Pendragon

I'll try to get a picture of one of the headswapped ones with one of the non head swapped ones. They don't look that differently sized when you account for the helmet IRL without the zoom :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:28 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

RE.Lee wrote:
Yup. The heads used to be larger back in the days - you can see that in SpellArcher's old-school army.

Well, they've been both larger and smaller. Consistency isn't a strength of GW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next