Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:17 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

I like him. I think SW are one of those units that can make a relatively different paint scheme compared to the rest of the army work. Maybe you could add some more green to the model to tie him in to the rest of the army a bit more. But I think he'll work (assuming they are also scouts in the mantic games).

How was the wedding?

Rod

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:29 am 
Pendragon

Kindred Gladestalkers indeed have analogous rules to scouts in Warhammer. I am leaning toward the darker nuln oil wash for the scalemail, I want them to look more sinister and "scouty" than the rest of the army :)

The wedding was a success, I am now happily married and the guests enjoyed it :)

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:52 am 

Congratulations on the wedding =D> =D>

As for the shadow warriors, I agree - fitting their role as outsiders you can certainly change up how they look in comparison to the rest of the army. Maybe play around with a couple of ideas and see what comes out better?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:29 pm 
Green Istari

Luna Guardian wrote:
The wedding was a success, I am now happily married and the guests enjoyed it

Splendid Luna!

=D>

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:08 pm 
Pendragon

First batch of Shadow Warriors (Gladestalkers) ready! The lighting is off, so they look a lot darker and more flat than in real life, but overall I am rather satisfied. The varnish left a bit of an odd finish however, not sure what happened there.

I think for my future pictures I need a lighter colored background for the units. Maybe I can swing one for an army picture, somehow...

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 am 
Pendragon

A quick glimpse of the entire host, assembled to answer the call for aid from a watchtower! Also some better pictures of some units :P
ImageImageImage

Griffon Knights of Tor Charta

Made some changes to the RBTs, giving them a small "Chracian" flair

Chariot regiment is also ready to go

And next projects:
Second Standard Bearer

Hunters of the Wild

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:10 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

That's one kickass army. It looks very impressive. I would be very happy to play against it. Where is the watchtower from?

The shadow warriors turned out great (though indeed the first picture is very dark). The dark look puts them apart from the army to show that they're not just some regular infantry. But the green and white still tie them to your army. Well done.

The only thing I'm now wondering about is the green grass on the bases. It feels perhaps a little bit to green and summery for the snow bases.

Rod

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:10 am 
Pendragon

Thank you! The watchtower is a Pringles can with some 3D printed parts. I have two of those, although I haven't used them for anything just yet.

The Shadow Warriors' cloaks are white on the inside for a reason, I imagine that they're reversible for when they have to range during the winter months or up in the mountains where there is more snow. That's the fluff reason, the other is that it allowed for some contrast on the minis :p .

I touched upon the bases some time back, but the idea is that Ulthuan is a paradise, so there's probably rarely tons and tons of snow. However, given that Chrace is north (and mountainous), there are likely patches of snow every once in a while. It could also be spring, where the snow is melting and green grass is starting to push through, symbolizing hope.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:31 am 

Awesome army right there. I especially like the Griffon Knights. Is there anything more planned?

Current project: Aldarin's Command - Battery bases
Painting queue: archers, artillery battery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:56 pm 
Pendragon

The next certain steps are:

The second army standard bearer (the one primed black)

The Wardancers (will count as Hunters of the Wild, a tribe or village of wilder elves that reside in the woodlands of Lord Deral's realm)

Standards for all units (currently have empty banner poles for four units and rather bland white fields with a rune for the rest)

I also have piles and piles of metal models, including but not limited to: 6ish Shadow Warriors, 3 Waywatchers, 15 Swordmasters, uncounted White Lions, ten or so Maiden Guard and a few old Tiranoc Chariots. I also have 10 plastic White Lions, but those will be turned into more of the Lion Guard as soon as I can score the necessary Phoenix Guard bitz. I also have several Great Eagles that could be painted, but they don't really have a place in the Kings of War elf list (unless I want to use them as allies, which is a distinct possibility). Probably some more bits and bobs of other units and the like.

I also have plans of adding one or two griffon riders to either make a second unit or bring the existing unit up one size from Regiment to Horde, but I am not yet sure what models to use. They'd have to be smaller to rank up, but not too small so they don't look odd.

But after the standard bearer and wardancers, I think I will be focusing on my Chaos army for a while. I have some b-e-a-utiful models from Raging Heroes to paint as devoted followers of Slaanesh, it'll be a nice break from all the green :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:28 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Luna Guardian wrote:
Thank you! The watchtower is a Pringles can with some 3D printed parts. I have two of those, although I haven't used them for anything just yet.

The Shadow Warriors' cloaks are white on the inside for a reason, I imagine that they're reversible for when they have to range during the winter months or up in the mountains where there is more snow. That's the fluff reason, the other is that it allowed for some contrast on the minis :p .

I touched upon the bases some time back, but the idea is that Ulthuan is a paradise, so there's probably rarely tons and tons of snow. However, given that Chrace is north (and mountainous), there are likely patches of snow every once in a while. It could also be spring, where the snow is melting and green grass is starting to push through, symbolizing hope.

The base thing makes sense. It certainly looks like that.

I like the fluff touch on the shadow warriors cloaks. Yes, some contrast on the mini's always helps. But it's nice if you also have a reason for including it.

Luna Guardian wrote:
But after the standard bearer and wardancers, I think I will be focusing on my Chaos army for a while.

No! Don't go over to the dark side! I know the lure of chaos is strong. But you have to resist. Fight it and stay in the light.

That, or start a new plog showing us your chaos progress of course ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 am 
Pendragon

Prince of Spires wrote:
No! Don't go over to the dark side! I know the lure of chaos is strong. But you have to resist. Fight it and stay in the light.

Rod

You mean like this :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:16 pm 
Green Istari

I agree with the guys, great army Luna.

=D>

Luna Guardian wrote:
The watchtower is a Pringles can

You sir, are gloriously Old School!

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:01 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Luna Guardian wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:

Rod

You mean like this :wink:

Yeah, something like that. That guy really knows what he's doning... ;)

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 am 
Pendragon

SpellArcher wrote:
I agree with the guys, great army Luna.

=D>

Luna Guardian wrote:
The watchtower is a Pringles can

You sir, are gloriously Old School!

Thank you! One uses the lessons learned, and mine are starting to feel old school indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:21 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

https://www.reapermini.com/search/griffon/latest/77157

Is that any help to you? I've seen them on ebay for as low as $5 too. If you get one don't use a spray can to prime it, but other than that the bones models are decent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:26 pm 
Pendragon

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
https://www.reapermini.com/search/griffon/latest/77157

Is that any help to you? I've seen them on ebay for as low as $5 too. If you get one don't use a spray can to prime it, but other than that the bones models are decent.

I've seen it in person, but it is too small. It also doesn't really accommodate a rider very well :/ . Thanks though!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:21 pm 
Very Helpful Elf

Ah. The only ridden one I've seen from reaper has a dwarf on it. It's also metal so more in the $30 range.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:28 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

I've worked with a reaper bones model for secret santa at some point. And I like (some of) them. Great value for money. Though you need to browse through their large collection a bit to find something suitable. And scale indeed can be an issue. Perhaps you can use it as a unit filler or something like a great eagle replacement (or similar). Also, at that price it's very usable in a terrain piece. Just imagine it at the top of a elven temple.

Rod

Check out my plog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6