Tinman's plog - Recent Project.. Dark Ritual

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Gray

Re: Tinman's plog - "Not" Konrad Curze - lots of pics

#691 Post by Gray »

Love it. Brilliant bud, good to have you back.
tinman

#692 Post by tinman »

Thanks Gray! I'm not sure how much I am "back".. But I do still lurk and look. I am going to London England this September for a large painting exhibition/show and I'm trying to get a couple other pieces finished by then. I will post WiP's if I have time.
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
John Rainbow

#693 Post by John Rainbow »

Awesome stuff as we've come to expect from you! I'm running out of superlatives...
Mireadur

#694 Post by Mireadur »

Lol, he really does look like Ozzy hahahahaha.

Looking very good, the face a little bit too cheery though? =)
tinman

#695 Post by tinman »

Hey Mir.. How you been? Married yet? Congrats on the soon little bambino!!

Maybe Ozzy's all cheery ripp'n heads off bats.. I'm working on a banner to help explain the "story" of the piece. I found I was doing all the explaining so 1. I got tired of doing it and 2. Needed Figured out a way for the piece to tell the story. I will throw some pics up later.

Hope you are well!!
tinman

#696 Post by tinman »

Hello everyone, its been a while again. I have been travelling a bit the last couple months. I have been to the UK for one of the largest figure shows in the world - Euromilitaire in September and my usual trip to Chicago in October for the MMSI show. I have a couple things to show but here's my most recent works. A bust from Nuts Planet - Saladin (the movie Kingdom of Heaven).. Hope you like it and thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Tinman's plog - Saladin - Kingdom of Heaven

#697 Post by Prince of Spires »

Wow. That's just... Great painting :) How big is the figure?

The second photo is best. It gives the most 'natural' look to the figure, especially the skin colors. In the first picture they are perhaps a bit too exposed. I would love to give you some helpful critique, but I just can't see anything where I could suggest an improvement. How long did it take you to paint it?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
tinman

#698 Post by tinman »

Thanks Rod! I like the second photo too, not just because I took it :wink: but because of what you said. The first pic was done at the show by the photographer. I'm still trying to figure out this picture taking thing out.. Super frustrating. :? I took my pics with my IPhone seeing I still need to get a macros lens.

The bust is about 1/10th scale or between 60mm and 80mm tall and took me about 30 hours to paint.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#699 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Teach me Master! :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#700 Post by Aicanor »

Yes, finally saw it comlete with pics! They didn't want to load last time due to signal issues... That is a great figure, well done! Looking forward to more pics of your recent work. =D>
RE.Lee

#701 Post by RE.Lee »

Lovely work! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
tinman

#703 Post by tinman »

It's been a long time since I've posted. I don't play much wahammer anything anymore but I still paint, however, not really high elf related. I will still share a project as they are finished here if that's ok.. this bust is from the company called Scale 75.. I sculpted the right arm and armour, added the horns and the banner is entirely freehanded. Your comments are welcome! Are these pics to big? I'm on my phone and I can't tell.. if they are I will try and fix them..

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Re: Tinman's plog - Recent Project.. Dark Ritual

#704 Post by Ferny »

OMG, these pics look like they must be computer-generated art - is that really a miniature?!?! Truly amazing tinman. :mrgreen: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

(And don't worry, pics are good for size :) ).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
tinman

#705 Post by tinman »

Thanks Ferny! Yes it real, I just figured how to use a camera .. :D
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#706 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

geesh.
RE.Lee

#707 Post by RE.Lee »

Thats, eh, dark :wink: Brilliant painting, not even trying to guess the techniques used :lol:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Andrew_uk

#708 Post by Andrew_uk »

Welcome back mate!! You've always been one of the best painters on here... but this... this is nothing short of exceptional. Bravo!! =D>
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
tinman

#709 Post by tinman »

RE.Lee wrote:Thats, eh, dark :wink: Brilliant painting, not even trying to guess the techniques used :lol:
Thanks RE.Lee!!

As for the techniques... it Depends on which part.. the armour was done by laying down the rust first with acrylics and pigments. Then everything is covered with hairspray with sand.. it's then covered with white acrylic paint and ink, the last stage is to peeled off the white paint with a firm brush with water..

The face is a combo of an acrylic base with an oil paint overlay and some glazing..
tinman

#710 Post by tinman »

Andrew_uk wrote:Welcome back mate!! You've always been one of the best painters on here... but this... this is nothing short of exceptional. Bravo!! =D>
thanks Andrew!!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#711 Post by Prince of Spires »

The whole model is stunning. Looks amazing. Dark, creepy and detailed. The freehand on the banner is stunning. And I only understand half the techniques you used... How big is the model? And how long does a model like this take you?

Thank you for sharing. I'd love to see more, so feel free to post up what pictures you have :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
tinman

#712 Post by tinman »

Prince of Spires wrote:The whole model is stunning. Looks amazing. Dark, creepy and detailed. The freehand on the banner is stunning. And I only understand half the techniques you used... How big is the model? And how long does a model like this take you?

Thank you for sharing. I'd love to see more, so feel free to post up what pictures you have :)

Rod
thanks Rod!

It's about the size of a fist and this project did take a bit. My ability to sit for long periods is gone from that car accident 4 years ago so that makes it difficult to figure the amount our hours that went into this thing. I also would say this was 3 projects in one. First was the sculpting of the arm and armour. Not including cure time of the putty, I'd say maybe 6/7 hours. The horns were an hour maybe 2 (it was tough getting them close to being the same).. the banner was killer for my neck and maybe took 10 hours.. and then the painting was probably 50 hours.

I have another project that I will post soon.
Last edited by tinman on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Myth

#713 Post by Myth »

This is insane! :shock:
Kudos for everything you've done with that model....the sculpting, painting and freehand...absolutely amazing!
tinman

#714 Post by tinman »

Myth wrote:This is insane! :shock:
Kudos for everything you've done with that model....the sculpting, painting and freehand...absolutely amazing!
Thanks Myth!!
Mireadur

#715 Post by Mireadur »

that accident must've been really bad, its been like 2 years now, doesnt it? Hope you improve over time man.

About the model not much to say, you are now a professional =). The worst quality is the banner, but that i say only when compared to the freehands other pros do nowadays. Also.. I didnt know you had sculpting skills too heh. Nice.