Tinman's plog - Recent Project.. Dark Ritual

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Tinman's plog - Alarielle WiP's..

#631 Post by Aicanor »

I see you needed new challenge. :) I think you are more or less on the right track, the skin parts at the very least, and I love the colour you chose. Maybe ask your wife to lend you a shawl for a while so you can see for yourself how it works :), and here is a good example. Never tried to pull this off, but I would start with this step (as I own several suitable shawls, hehe).
Mireadur

#632 Post by Mireadur »

I want to do the same effect when i paint my allarielle, so any guide for these transparencies would be really appreciated!

Do you start from skin colour and do green washes or viceversa?
Jimmy
Centurion

#633 Post by Jimmy »

Looking forward to seeing this come to life.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#634 Post by Galharen »

Indeed a very promising piece of painting here :)
She is going to have some make-up, isn't she? :wink:
tinman

#635 Post by tinman »

Tzineris wrote:The begining of another masterpiece!! :mrgreen:
wow, thanks!
Aicanor wrote:I see you needed new challenge. :) I think you are more or less on the right track, the skin parts at the very least, and I love the colour you chose. Maybe ask your wife to lend you a shawl for a while so you can see for yourself how it works :), and here is a good example. Never tried to pull this off, but I would start with this step (as I own several suitable shawls, hehe).
Lol, I guess I needed a challenge. I do have to say this is one of the toughest. I have never seen it done (that is how I like to learn) so I am going off trial'n error... Thanks for the pic. It is a really great demonstration of highlights and shadows too.
Mireadur wrote:I want to do the same effect when i paint my allarielle, so any guide for these transparencies would be really appreciated!

Do you start from skin colour and do green washes or viceversa?
I will give as much guidance as I can - when I have it right... I did however start with the green first and then added the flesh tones. and then back and fourth with really thin layers of each. I am sure there is an easier way...
Jimmy wrote:Looking forward to seeing this come to life.
me too... I have no time right now... :cry:
Galharen wrote:Indeed a very promising piece of painting here :)
Thanks! Yes she will have make-up..
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Malossar
Something Cool

#636 Post by Malossar »

But why would the most beautiful creature in all the Warhammer World need make up? ;)
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#637 Post by Galharen »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:

But why would the most beautiful creature in all the Warhammer World need make up? ;)
Don't tell me that you've never had a surprise in bed after a huge party in the morning :mrgreen:
Malossar
Something Cool

#638 Post by Malossar »

Galharen wrote:
Malossar Dragonborne wrote:

Don't tell me that you've never had a surprise in bed after a huge party in the morning :mrgreen:

You win. Just don't make me remember or share #-o
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#639 Post by Galharen »

Sorry Tin, I had to :lol: :lol: :

NexS

#640 Post by NexS »

Galharen wrote:Sorry Tin, I had to :lol: :lol: :

"Shut up, Meg."

This is all I hear when I see Mila Kunis.
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
tinman

#641 Post by tinman »

HAHAHA... :shock:
Mireadur

#642 Post by Mireadur »

Yes she may be fat and with a bad cold in the left pic, but who wouldnt want to be by her side the periods shes healthy and in good shape?.
Gandalf_82

#643 Post by Gandalf_82 »

That Alarielle is looking great so far. Great job on the clothes effect.

Those two photo's are funny! She certainly scrubs up well though!
Gherron

#644 Post by Gherron »

Tinman,

I just found this forum and LOVE your work! I'm one of those working dads who has to find a chance to sneak away to get in some painting time.

I'm working on an Ultraforge Dragon and thought your color scheme for the gold dragon was awesome. (Posted back in 2011). However, I have just scrolled through all 22 pages of this thread (popular thread!) and couldn't find a finished pic. Did you ever get a chance to complete it? If so, I'd love to see it....and copy it. :wink:

Anyway, great work. It would be fantastic if you were to create a Youtube channel with some tutorials.
tinman

#645 Post by tinman »

Hey everyone, it's been a long while... Work was crazy, I had no real time to paint for about the last 4 months... More recently, I was able to get some work done on the 40K Dark Vengence Hellbrute... edit... I will post some pics later...
Gherron wrote:Tinman,
I just found this forum and LOVE your work! I'm one of those working dads who has to find a chance to sneak away to get in some painting time.

I'm working on an Ultraforge Dragon and thought your color scheme for the gold dragon was awesome. (Posted back in 2011). However, I have just scrolled through all 22 pages of this thread (popular thread!) and couldn't find a finished pic. Did you ever get a chance to complete it? If so, I'd love to see it....and copy it. :wink:

Anyway, great work. It would be fantastic if you were to create a Youtube channel with some tutorials.
Thanks so much!! All 22 pages? Wow, I haven't even done that... I will get to the dragon. Unfortunately its not done... Oh so many not done... You tube? Oh no I don't have the charisma nor the voice for that :lol:
Gandalf_82 wrote:That Alarielle is looking great so far. Great job on the clothes effect.
I have totally stalled on her... :( I will try and finish...
tinman

Re: Tinman's plog - Phew... it's been awhile...

#646 Post by tinman »

Here are the pics of my Helbrute... Questions & comments are always welcome... I tried some weathering (rust & grime), blood & gore, a simple freehand, magical auras and water effects... Hope you like it...

NexS

Re: Tinman's plog - Helbrute pics added...

#647 Post by NexS »

Mr. Tinman, super dooper!

What did you use for the sinewy gore? I was thinking of doing that to my carnosaur's mouth for extra chomping efferct!!
Regards,
Brad
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
RE.Lee

#648 Post by RE.Lee »

Sick stuff - golden daemon quality, surely! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
endontoddy

#649 Post by endontoddy »

Absolutely stunning =D>

Not just the beautiful blending, but the wonderfully unsettling colour selection that suits a Slanneshi model so well.
tinman

#650 Post by tinman »

Thanks guys!!
NexS wrote:What did you use for the sinewy gore? I was thinking of doing that to my carnosaur's mouth for extra chomping efferct!!
This is super easy. I use a glue called UHU (pronounced You-Who I think). I bought mine off ebay - shipped it was less than $10 CDN and I got a big tube of the stuff. You must get the stuff with the black label, the green label will not create the "stingy-ness".

I then use Tamiya clear red for the bright bloody color (this stuff is a lacquer), but I also add a hint of acrylic black paint. This make the mixture coagulate with the lacquer and get really thick and stringy.

You can just use the straight glue to create dripping saliva. Tamiya has a bunch of clear colors, yellow, grey and green ect... so you could make all kinds of stringy colors for what ever effect you want..
tinman

#651 Post by tinman »

For anyone who wants some "how to" tips and hints then check this out. It's from some of the best painters around. If I need to figure something out or learn something this is one of the places I look.
http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.ca/2009/1 ... w.html?m=1
NexS

#652 Post by NexS »

tinman wrote:Thanks guys!!
NexS wrote:What did you use for the sinewy gore? I was thinking of doing that to my carnosaur's mouth for extra chomping efferct!!
This is super easy. I use a glue called UHU (pronounced You-Who I think). I bought mine off ebay - shipped it was less than $10 CDN and I got a big tube of the stuff. You must get the stuff with the black label, the green label will not create the "stingy-ness".

I then use Tamiya clear red for the bright bloody color (this stuff is a lacquer), but I also add a hint of acrylic black paint. This make the mixture coagulate with the lacquer and get really thick and stringy.

You can just use the straight glue to create dripping saliva. Tamiya has a bunch of clear colors, yellow, grey and green ect... so you could make all kinds of stringy colors for what ever effect you want..
So the stringy-ness is simply this UHU glue as it drips, it stays connected and dries hard like that?
Regards,
Brad
tinman

#653 Post by tinman »

NexS wrote:So the stringy-ness is simply this UHU glue as it drips, it stays connected and dries hard like that?
Yes pretty much. It's crazy how easy it is... I can show you with some pics...

This is what the tube looks like... BLACK label.. very important...

Use a glossy piece of card board or paper. You don't want your stuff to soak through or into the paper.

Just start mixing together adding more color as needed.

This stuff gets stringy right away and dries tacky and very quickly. It will harden over night..

The more is dries the more strings you get.

So once it dries a bit just use a tooth pick and touch on the model where you want to start and pull to an anchor point. Then go back an fourth where you want your gore on the model... Practice on an old model, you will get the hang of it really quick..
NexS

#654 Post by NexS »

That's a fantastic guide, tinman. Thanks heaps! I'm always looking at ways I can improve my modelling. This thread is one of my go-to threads ;)
Out of curiosity, once i've toothpicked it from point to point, how hard does it dry?
Regards,
Brad
tinman

#655 Post by tinman »

NexS wrote:how hard does it dry?
It's not so hard that it will shatter. It seems to have a little flex to it but still feels pretty durable. I have yet to have any of the " gory threads" break. I think it will stretch and sag a bit before it breaks. I have not tested it's full durability...
NexS wrote:This thread is one of my go-to threads
Glad to be of help...
NexS

#656 Post by NexS »

Thanks mate :)
I don't expect you to test it! haha. My query came from the concern that it may sag and end up looking odd, I'm sure i'll find out in due time!
Regards,
Brad
Jimmy
Centurion

#657 Post by Jimmy »

Wow nice work. Thanks for the tutorial, I've been looking for something like this for a while for an upcoming project.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
tinman

#658 Post by tinman »

Jimmy wrote:Wow nice work. Thanks for the tutorial, I've been looking for something like this for a while for an upcoming project.
Thanks!! Glad to be of some help..
John Rainbow

#659 Post by John Rainbow »

Nice tutorial. Should stand me in good stead as I get going with my VC!
tinman

Re: Tinman's plog - Phew... it's been awhile...

#660 Post by tinman »

So I went to the MMSI in Chicago this weekend. I got a gold and 2 silvers. I missed a gold with my hellbrute by 1/2 point in the Fantasy painters (posted above). I got a gold with my Geisha in the Historic open category and a silver for my pirate bust in the historic painters category (pics below)... Super happy about the Gold. I tried many new things with this piece, I built the cherry blossom tree, hand painted the fish (in 15 layers of resin) and all the flowers on her dress are freehand. I started this project in May. Photos were taken and I was interviewed for a magazine.

I also tried new techniques for worn leather with the bust. Comment always welcome.

Hope these are good enough for you Mireadur...

TM