Children of Ulthuan

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

psy_lock

Children of Ulthuan

#1 Post by psy_lock »

Hey there my fellow Highelves!
I have been lurking in this forum for a long time and found a lot of motivation as well as inpiration in the pictures you presented!

Thus i decided to share my finished regiments with you. My painting is painstakingly slow and i hardly play the game, I am more of collector. The progress is slow, but hopefully steady :)

For this army, i decided against ny metallic metals and tried to execute an NNM approach, which I still have to improve.

The first regiment i finished is a unit of 20 Spearelves with command and a hero joining the ranks!

one more shot from the front....

and one more shot from the rear!

You might have noticed that the regimens base is rather unusual. I feel that the usual unit composition obstracts the view on the individual models very much, so i decided to leave a little space between each spearman. This is a shot of the regiments base which I made of plasticard:

I am presently working on a unit of 20 Phoenix Guard, will take a while till they are finished though :wink:

Cheers
Last edited by psy_lock on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
choclatecruncher16

Re: My Children of Ulthuan

#2 Post by choclatecruncher16 »

holy heck and sweet Jesus, their AMAZING!
well done man, loving the paintwork. keep it up :)
[color=#0080BF]"I shall not give up a single scrap of Ulthuan without an entire ocean of druchii blood spilled in its name!"[/color]
[color=#0080BF]Tyrion-Sons of Ellyrion[/color]
Total scores with high elves since start of 2009.
W/ D /L
49 19 18
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Utterly beautiful!

:)
Taliessin

#4 Post by Taliessin »

FANTASTIC NMM!!!! =D> =D> =D>
May the Mods smite me if I step out of line. ;)
[size=1]...and we're watching, with fiery lightning and the wrath of god... and such[/size] <-- Apparently they can place hidden messages in my sig! O.O
Elaithnir

#5 Post by Elaithnir »

Youch. Always a humbling experience visiting these forums. Great work. I love the banner! And the bases really complement the excellent paintwork.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#6 Post by Luna Guardian »

Holy crappin' Jesus on a pancake!

That would be my exclamation, if I could pick up my jaw from the floor. Breathtaking
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
wamphyri101

#7 Post by wamphyri101 »

Awesome work and Lovin the banner.

If this is what your core unit looks like canne wait to see the rest of the army!
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Baalan

#8 Post by Baalan »

well, you certainly make the rest of us humble collectors look and imagine if we ever get to achieve half that painting level...
in truth, you made the spears look as brand new miniatures...

for me what made me sigh was the way you managed to pull off the 'feeling' that elven armour is not 'bulky' but supple like high quality silk...not to mention the banner (especially the rear of it...simple yet so out of my current (?) ability)

cheers!
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
Brian Mage

#9 Post by Brian Mage »

For core troops that is some of the best NMM i've seen, not just on these pages either.
Truely excellent work.

I can see why your work takes time, even just the spear tips are exceptional, (5 layers?)

Apart from the NMM stuff, you coulour scheme is works really well to. Its a good combo of colours that is rarely used, "Ulthuans Children of the Setting Sun!"

Really looking forward to the PG's dude. Keep us posted
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Andrew_uk

#10 Post by Andrew_uk »

Stunning! I am working on some spearmen atm and this is my first attempt at NMM too, It's taking forever however this is where all similarities end. I am always gobsmacked at how people are able to achieve such a perfect seemless smooth finish. Also how do you get such a shine to your NMM? I do about 6 coats starting with a 50:50 of chaos black to codex and working up to a pure white on the extremities, but still I get nothing close to that shine.

Also (as has already been said) that banner is just beautifull
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Allerion
Librarian

#11 Post by Allerion »

wow. just plain wow.

all the RF troops are painted at the level of the character.... god that must have taken forever...

I think this is on par with Kate....

simply amazing.
Excited for TOW
Alathenar

#12 Post by Alathenar »

Absolutely Stunning! =D>
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
Telabir

#13 Post by Telabir »

still had to improve
hehe, I see nothing needing improvment
so awesome, each model is a million times better than the 'eavy metal teams' work. easily competition standard
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
Alithryn

#14 Post by Alithryn »

Fantastic paint job, really inspiring! =D>
[size=150][color=#0080BF][b]"Elves were meant for War!.."[/b] - Alithryn Dragontamer[/color][/size]
[color=#0080BF]View my Army Log here: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32954]Alithryn's Host of the Asur[/url][/color]
Angel

#15 Post by Angel »

Really nice and clean painting, I like it!
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
Lathaon

#16 Post by Lathaon »

Baalan wrote:well, you certainly make the rest of us humble collectors look and imagine if we ever get to achieve half that painting level...
in truth, you made the spears look as brand new miniatures...

for me what made me sigh was the way you managed to pull off the 'feeling' that elven armour is not 'bulky' but supple like high quality silk...not to mention the banner (especially the rear of it...simple yet so out of my current (?) ability)

cheers!
Couldn't have put it better myself. I think as well, that they have a really nice mysterious/enchanted look about them. Just like high elves should. =D>
Jimmy
Centurion

#17 Post by Jimmy »

I'm begging you to give us a tutorial on free hand banners?

That unit is incredible! There isn't anything else to say.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#18 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

I really like your spearelves. The colour choice is new and looks very nice. In particular I like the spear shafts and helmets. The light and shadow areas on the scale armour look very good too. I am sure everybody is looking forward to seeing more of your work. Would it be possible to see a sample model from Phoenix Guard unit you are painting at the moment?

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work! :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
mcpolle

#19 Post by mcpolle »

Now that stuff is not bad at all =D>

Seriously tho, very very nice and clean work.

Very well done, love the banner as well.

Polle
Imladik

#20 Post by Imladik »

a really excellent paint job.

Thanks for sharing [-o<
Let the army of the Dragon Lord Imladik go forthand destroy our dark bretheren
psy_lock

#21 Post by psy_lock »

Thanks a lot for your kind words! Some time passed, and i had few time for our precious hobby. The progress for my high elves was slowed by another project which interfered: Creating a suitable scenery, shaping Ulthuan! :o :D

I would like to share the results of this terrain-building episode with you.

To start things: a hill, with some traces of the foul orcs on it:

The next project was another hill.

On the highest cliff, a fallen elven warrior rests in peace.

The way to his grave is lit by a single torch.

Last edited by psy_lock on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psy_lock

#22 Post by psy_lock »

While building my own pieces of terrain entirely from scratch has its charms, I also decided to invest some money into Games Workshop's Scenery pieces.

The idea behind this is as follows: While I spend a small fortune on models which maybe see every third or fourth game, the few pieces of scenery i built some time ago made it on the table every single game!
Therefore i felt an investment in a nicely sculpted forest of GW's was justified. I decided for the forest, because i like the possibility to remove the trees if they are in the way, and I also like the design of them.

However, when I reached the third tree, i really had enough of painting all those leaves :?

Bring 'it on, our White Lions shall prevail in these groves! :mrgreen:
Last edited by psy_lock on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psy_lock

#23 Post by psy_lock »

I felt that the pieces above should suffice - then i happened to have birthday and a close friend of mine gave me a great present - the Dreadstone Blight! I was really excited and decided to customize this piece by placing it on top of a hill.

To add some 'playability' ,there are three entries to the ruined wizard's tower:

The door can be reached by a stone stairwell carved into the hill's rock:

Another entry is on the opposite side, a wooden door leads to the ruin's basement:

And of course, troops can advance the Hill on the stairs to get to the breach in the Towers Wall!

I added details to represent lingering mysterious artifacts ...

As it befits the bloody world the Asur struggle in, we baptized the Dreadstone Blight with a ferocius battle! Here are three shots from this encounter.

I will just tell you this much about the battle: no one but the rats of the tower survived the epic struggle :shock: :evil: :D

This concludes my terrashaping-intermezzo. However, I have also finished some more Children of Ulthuan, and i promise to upload pictures of my completed Phoenix Guard soon!
Last edited by psy_lock on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

Once again, beautiful.

There's a glow about your models which really suits High Elves IMHO.
Mireadur

#25 Post by Mireadur »

amazing paint jobs in that scenery. I just love those bright and incredibly well mixed colours.
Anvalous

#26 Post by Anvalous »

Simply amazing. This army will be stunning, beyond a doubt. I'm trying to do NMM as well and really appreciate the fact that you've provided a fantastic reference for me to come to. Cheers!

=D> =D> =D>
BorkBork

#27 Post by BorkBork »

wow, they look excellent

but what is nnm/nmm?

ps: did i see correctly the gobbos hold the tower last :)
[color=#00FF40][b]BORKS WAAAGH ON DA WARPATH[/b][/color]
[url]http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=25246[/url]
Brian Mage

#28 Post by Brian Mage »

That is one impressive tabletop you have there - great stuff
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
tinman

#29 Post by tinman »

Holy Crap!! ALL your work is AMAZING!! I wished I could free hand like that, never mind, I wish I could paint like that. Thank you for posting.
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Kieran

#30 Post by Kieran »

looks like im gonna have to step my freehand skills up and get some posted...

awesome work man, very impressive :)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36122]My Painting blog[/url]