The army of Spires; assembly time

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: The army of Spires; assembly time

#241 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Yeah. I never said I agreed with her ;) More models is always good. Though I have reigned in my inner collector and managed to buy very little in the past couple of years :)
I'd been doing very well at that myself. The last month or two has not been as good though. I have found a couple very good deals that I just couldn't pass on.

It's been a long time since I've played 8th ed. but that shooting list you mention is fairly effective. Really only fun to play once or twice though.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#242 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I think one of the nice things about Alith Anar is that he truly is a budget lord choice. He's cheap enough to easily fit an archmage next to him.
If they sit in that PG block you could easily crank the whole lot up to a 3+ Ward Rod. Alith also gives Swiftstride which is very interesting.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#243 Post by Prince of Spires »

And a -1 to hit for shooting at the unit. That would be one tough nut to crack from a distance.

The list then probably needs some offensive magic in it as well. Something like a lvl 2 with fire, metal or light magic. Perhaps metal has the most utility in this case. Give him the scroll and the ring of fury and he's a good backup caster.

Should be fun enough I think. But indeed a "use it once or twice" kind of list. That goes for most of my lists though. I like switching things up. Which is also fine since I don't train for competitive tournaments or anything like that. So no need to be overly familiar with my list.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#244 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:The list then probably needs some offensive magic in it as well. Something like a lvl 2 with fire, metal or light magic. Perhaps metal has the most utility in this case. Give him the scroll and the ring of fury and he's a good backup caster.
Convocation and boosted Soul Quench can be pretty tasty but I agree the Metal guy is interesting.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#245 Post by Prince of Spires »

With the lvl 4 on high, chances are great to get those spells already. And the level 2 could easily end up with little to cast when also going high for this list. Yes, he would be great with Soul Quench and convocation. But I would rather have convocation on the lvl 4. And the lvl two could just as easily get Walk between worlds and unforging.

I think metal on the level 2 brings a lot of extra utility to this list. Searing doom is a great spell on a lower level caster and gives a tool to deal with certain types of units that some HE lists might struggle with. And it's a must dispel spell in some cases (you don't want the D6 hits that wound on 2+ when you have a smaller cavalry unit for instance). Which is always nice.

And the rest of the lore I think golden hounds is probably the most situational spell and final transmutation is can be a bit meh (though it's actually cheap and could be great vs hordes). But enchanted blades and transmutation are great for this list. Just imagine +1 to hit with armour piercing shooting for the handmaiden unit with sister and alith anar.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#246 Post by SpellArcher »

List please!

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#247 Post by Prince of Spires »

Very small, slightly hobby related, update from me. I recently moved to a new house. Which, besides a lot of other nice features, has a spare room to be used for WH related stuff. Yay!

The downside is, as is to be expected I guess, that the room currently looks like this:

Since it's a non-core room it is currently used to store all boxes that still either need to move to their definitive location or need to be unpacked. There's also furniture stuff in there, including a book case which will house the different WH models. But that still needs to be put together. And of course, this actually requires having some floor space to work, which requires the stuff in the boxes to actually be in the book case still to be put together. So that will be interesting ;)

Still, progress :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#248 Post by Luna Guardian »

This is me being jelly. I want a mancave for my hobbies too!

Congrats on the new move, looking forwards to your progress hitting turbo
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Mireadur

#249 Post by Mireadur »

Thats indeed the biggest acomplishment in life a man can aspire to. Getting his own geek cave in his house :mrgreen:
Olthannon

#250 Post by Olthannon »

As my current painting station is a couple of old leather suitcases stacked on the floor, I'm very jealous of an entire room dedicated to models.
Congrats on the move, I know how hectic the first few weeks are!
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#251 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks guys. My previous hobby spot was also just a couple of shelves for storing models and a tray to fit my paints and in progress models. But it was one of the items high on the wishlist for the new house, having some hobby space. I'm interested to see how it will turn out. It might be a bit cramped, but at least it's my own ;)

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress as I get the room sorted.

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#252 Post by elendor_f »

Good luck with the Hobby Room Prince of Spires! :D
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#253 Post by Prince of Spires »

elendor_f wrote:Good luck with the Hobby Room Prince of Spires! :D
Cheers. I have since create a bit of order in the chaos and have started moving boxes around and unpacking them in their final location. Slowly but surely it's starting to look like a room again (very slowly...).

Rod

Check out my plog

Lynve

#254 Post by Lynve »

The room certainly has potential to become a comfy workshop. Do keep us updated on the progress and the final result of the adaptation!
Luna Guardian wrote:This is me being jelly. I want a mancave for my hobbies too!
Rednecks have caves. We, men of culture, deserve a study or an atelier ;)
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#255 Post by Luna Guardian »

Lynve wrote: Rednecks have caves. We, men of culture, deserve a study or an atelier ;)
Like I said, I want a mancave too :wink:
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Nusphigor

#256 Post by Nusphigor »

really cool minis mate. That phoenix is superb!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#257 Post by Prince of Spires »

:D thanks! It was lots of fun to make.

Check out my plog

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#258 Post by Prince of Spires »

Time for a (long overdue) update. The room did get cleaned up a lot in the last year and there is now some hobby space in there, though no gaming table or anything like that just yet. I'll see about getting a picture someday soon...

I got a Mordheim game in last weekend (yay for relaxing quarantine measures...), so picture time!

Since elves is all I got, I went with a shadow warrior warband. And because I had little time to come up with one and little clue about what would or would not work, I went for easy and straightforward. Too many rules to remember already ;)

1 Shadow master, Sword, dagger, elf bow, shield.
3 Shadow walker, Sword, dagger, long bow
1 shadow weaver
3 Shadow warrior, Sword, dagger, bow

500 points on the dot. It all shoots, except for the shadow weaver (my mage). I had no points left and I was interested in bringing some magic, just to see what it would do.

We put all buildings (and other miscellaneous stuff) we had on the table and ended up with the following:
We got scenario 8, which meant we were fighting for 3 buildings. In our case, the top right one, the middle one and the bottom left one. I deployed on the bottom board edge. My opponent, taking undead, got the top board edge.

My plan was fairly simple. I would ignore the building on my side in the beginning. My mage would do his thing and move back late in the battle to secure the building. And if that was not possible, everyone would be dead anyway and there would be other things to worry about. The rest of my troops would focus on reducing the opponents forces at the start and going for the central building later on. From the few games I've played earlier I learnt that it's usually a good idea to keep units together and that the volume of attacks you put out is a lot more important than most other things (since you tend to miss a lot).

The plan worked decently. One of my shadow walkers got shot off the board T2 by a BS2 guy at long range (who rolled 3 sixes in a row). Other then that, I focused on taking out a model at a time with overwhelming force.
Though it took these 3 guys 3 rounds of combat to take out this one T3 dude with no armour.

My Shadow master managed to not hit anything with shooting half the game and then failed misserably in combat. In the end, he was bailed out by a lowly grunt who took out the vampire leading the opponents forces while he was beaten to the ground.

It must be said though that the plan in the end failed miserably. I did manage to secure "my own" building, I took out the whole opposing force, apart from two henchmen and got a model in the central one to contest it in the final turn. However, because the 3 round of combat I needed to get through a single model I only got one model i the central building in time. And the lone enemy henchmen in the central building managed to kill him in the very last action of the game
Which gave the win to my opponent. Though it was a Phyric victory. I had 4 hero's alive to search for wyrdstone and managed a whole bunch of kills with said hero's for experience points, while my opponent had no one left alive to search for anything.

As an added bonus, I managed to roll a tripple when searching for wyrdstone, which gives me a free henchman for the next round of combat, as well as lots of gold :)

Now all that's left to do is think of what to spend all my gold on and plan the next battle (which should be in a few weeks).

O, and think of a name for the warband and the guys in it. Something better than Missalot... ;)

Thanks for reading.
Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#259 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I got a Mordheim game in last weekend
Bravo Rod! Good you had plenty of useful terrain.
Prince of Spires wrote:vampire leading the opponents forces
This sounds ominous.
Prince of Spires wrote:It must be said though that the plan in the end failed miserably.
Oh dear.
Prince of Spires wrote:a Phyric victory
Another win like that and he's finished! (with apologies to ancient scholars).
Olthannon

#260 Post by Olthannon »

Do love some Mordheim, just gotta hope you can murder a few more of them!
One foot in the hobby