Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (Reavers horses & heros 28/6/10)

#61 Post by Mireadur »

It feels good to be back into bussiness :D .

I must say that after 7 months away from painting i had a really hard time getting myself motivated to get the brush again. I didnt use any Rocky Balboa soundtracks but rather stared at the showcase with my elves for hours.

Also noticing how WH has grown up in my town: I watched a tournament last weekend with lots of new people playing with painted armies :shock:. Yeah, my small city used to be pathetic in what comes to the kind of people who played warhammer, now theres a lot of sportive and reasonable people who in addition give a lot of care to their armies!

Well anyway i managed to paint a whole 1 hour yesterday and 3 hours today (omg). Im gonna finish these damn ellyrion riders once for all. Tomorrow gonna work on faces (2 hours), and after that all missing will be small golden details, the gems, turquoise skirts and the spears/bows... About 6 more hours i'd say.

Here's the current WIP, the light is poor.. Even with the flash the pic is dark.. Once finished will post pics taken during the day, of course!

Im giving the unit a quite dark appearance in a similar way to the dark horses in hte page 2 of the log. Using all details in white and metals in silver with just small details golden in the helmet. Bows will be bone/white as the rest of the army, i thought about making the spear poles in the same fashion as the swordmasters standard, but i think using bone/white will make them fit better with the rest of the army as their base colours are a bit different from the other units. The plumes in the helmets will be white/grey also.

Im giving shields to the unit as i like them oldstyle and our gaming group uses modded rules for fast cav anyway which allows them. I think ill give some simple freehand motiff related to horses somehow.

Thats all, guys. I hope i can post finished pics wednesday. If you have followed my log since the beginning im sure you can tell i always start new units very slowly but when im close to finishing them i pull off a lot of hours on it in 1 or 2 days.

Enough rambling.. See you soon.
Last edited by Mireadur on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElvenAirCorp

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (Reavers horses & heros 21/6/10)

#62 Post by ElvenAirCorp »

Looking Good!

Looks like there is going to be a lot of contrast in those models, looking forward to the rest, keep em comming!
[b]CEO ElvenAirCorp:[/b] Ender Shadowkin

Providing Sleek and Lethal Flying mounts to the masses
HE Proj Log:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263869
WE Project Log:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294371
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (Reavers horses & heros 30/1/10)

#63 Post by Mireadur »

Finished the 1st guy. It took me an obscene amount of time to finish up this single guy (3 hours), so i guess the unit is going to take a little longer than expected, still the other 5 are very close to be done (or so i thought before i began giving the final touches to this one jeje).

The shield actually made me waste some time. At 1st i tried some freehand of a horse head over a sea wave, but it really sucked so i chose 1 of the 3 patterns given with the spearmen set.

Overall i guess i didnt lose that much skill in these 7 months off (not much to lose anyway, uh?). What i did lose for sure was speed!

Ill try to finish all 6 during the weekend.. (Quarterfinals of the world cup and having Spain in there is going to cut down in the times :P ).

Also i wanted to say that i hope i reinvigorated a little bit the most hated Ellyrion rider models (which i happen to like a lot), i think the mainly white/silver scheme i chose for them helps these old models qualities to sprout somehow.

EDIT: i got bashed (in a funny way) by friend because of the croissant in the helmet (the crescent moon)... Not much i could do about it hehe, the person i bought the minis from cut the original helm design and glued those in there :(
Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (Full reavers done 2/7/10)

#64 Post by Mireadur »

Finished the unit, it was 30 hours of work finally (still gotta paint a horn for the musician but thats nothing :p)

And here are the pics.

And that makes the 2500 army fully painted! i will post pics of the full army on monday as i lent it to a friend for using it.

I think my next step is going to be another unit of spearmen.
Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (Full reavers done 2/7/10)

#65 Post by Mireadur »

Some army pics, but it seems i cannot get a decent light on them..Everrrr

They look either really dark, or too blueish. Im a total waste as photographer, sorry :oops: (Amazing how those few toy soldiers took 9 months to paint ugggh)

I started painting a 4-5th edition RBT. We use this model as a rare type of warmachine for the elves. Will post pics when finished (2-4 days).
Angel

Re: Just another HE Log =) ( (Army pics 6/7/10)

#66 Post by Angel »

Nice work, you've managed to make the blue/white scheme look good.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
Lord Anathir

#67 Post by Lord Anathir »

Its very very well done and an army to be proud of. I still cringe at those goblin green base edges though :D
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Elaithnir

#68 Post by Elaithnir »

Sigh. Time to get off my butt and start painting! My own army has been languishing on my desk for months now!
Very nice.
Mireadur

#69 Post by Mireadur »

Lord Anathir wrote:Its very very well done and an army to be proud of. I still cringe at those goblin green base edges though :D
Hahah, i may change all bases to khemri brown sooner or later. You cant fight agaisnt the tendances after all :)

This is what im working on right now.Giving them turquoise robes to make them stand out from the other (newer) RBTs. I think ill have them finished by today, tomorrow the latest.

I sucked at giving lights to most of the golden parts of the RBT but never mind.. Next model will be a bit better i hope. I really have a poor sense of how light affects metal parts.

Oh and: ARRIBA ESPAÑA!! We are going to beat HOLLAND!
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) (RBT Finished 8/7/10)

#70 Post by Mireadur »

Finish! took me 3 more hours to finish these guys. Im quite satisfied at the result on the crew and i think the seaguard will go in this exact same fashion.

I think i will go for 20 spearmen next... Or a tiranoc chariot.
Last edited by Mireadur on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Anathir

#71 Post by Lord Anathir »

Everything looks fantastic. Back of those helmets need a teeny tiny clean up with silver.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Mireadur

#72 Post by Mireadur »

They look too dark yes? will do it thanks =)

EDIT: guys, im going to paint 2 chariots of tiranoc together, 1 of them has a hero instead a normal crewman. Should i paint the horses on both chariots the same colour for more uniformity or go with a different scheme for each chariot?

I just decided i will paint the barding in turquoise instead white to make them feel more ''special'' but will leave crewmen robes in white. Also the banners will be in white with some drawing on them.

My main issue right now is the colour of the horses anyway. Im going for a light grey on the normal chariot, not sure if horses for the hero chariot should be grey.. or brown?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Dragon.Prince63

#73 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

Fantastic!
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) (Chariots WIP 22/7/10)

#74 Post by Mireadur »

Hi again, been away for vacations, so didnt paint much at all. Have taken up again on the tiranoc chariots and finished the 1st horse. Finally going to paint all horses the same (thx for the numerous comments about it ;p)

Anyway this is how they are currently. Pics as usual are so dark, but well its just a WIP.

I hope i can have finished the horses by sunday. The chariot frames shouldnt take too long and after that will work one by one on the riders.
Alathenar

#75 Post by Alathenar »

Great work mate, really good to see your back into it! =D>
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
Meraklis

#76 Post by Meraklis »

I really like your painting style and especially the way you paint blue. Which colours do you use for the blue?

a great looking army so far! cant wait for more :D
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
Mireadur

#77 Post by Mireadur »

Meraklis wrote:I really like your painting style and especially the way you paint blue. Which colours do you use for the blue?

a great looking army so far! cant wait for more :D
Hi and thanks for the possitive comment. About the blue all i use is hawk turquoise from GW and white. It appeas that the more white you add to it the blueish it turns.

For the belts of the crew in the last RBT the colour is lightning blue which i like a lot along with the turquoise robes.

About the chariot i have now painted 2 horses and have begun to paint the 1st chassis. I hope having it and the chariot banner by saturday night. It looks like im not going to finish both chariots before July is over though... Lately i cant get myself to paint for longer than an hour before i have to take a break (like am doing now :mrgreen: ).
Meraklis

#78 Post by Meraklis »

Mireadur wrote:
Meraklis wrote: Lately i cant get myself to paint for longer than an hour before i have to take a break (like am doing now :mrgreen: ).
I really know how this feels ..

thx for the blue recipe. It looks so good that I couldnt believe that it is so simple :P

Now get painting and show us more ! :D
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log =) (Chariots WIP2 26/7/10)

#79 Post by Mireadur »

I pulled so far 3 hours of painting today and finished the 1st chassis. I think i also can finish the banner today! So this is how it is looking so far.

Im really sorry for the extremely glossy appearance of the horses but i ran out of mat varnish spray so im using the gloss varnish bottle i have... I dont like it much in truth but the camera flash makes it much worse than it really is...

I had huge troubles to pull out the golden parts, i guess i wasnt too inspired. The result may look good but i can guarantee the technique is really lacking in this one.

Anyway lets see if i can completely finish this one before July is over.

EDIT: for some reason the bleached bone of the chassis looks really clean, but in reality it has some grypphon sephia wash.. Ill have to check it well before varnishing. Also i noticed still have to paint some metal joints below the chariot..
Ecthalion

#80 Post by Ecthalion »

Not a critisism but an observation, you do realise you have the lion chariot sides on a tiranoc chariot? Love the painting scheme by the way, will have to start my own blog soon to give me a kick up the bum! :wink:
"Despair I can live with Its the hope that really pisses me off" Elthanair Stormglaive at the defence of Tor Ylanthar

My painting Blog [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34776[/url]
Mireadur

#81 Post by Mireadur »

Ecthalion wrote:Not a critisism but an observation, you do realise you have the lion chariot sides on a tiranoc chariot? Love the painting scheme by the way, will have to start my own blog soon to give me a kick up the bum! :wink:
Yeah hehe, you will have to wait until the chariot is finished to see why!

Also, i finally got my hands onto this model (the left one)! i believe it is one of the best ''all times'' high elves miniature. Im going to use him as a spearmen champion so i guess will have to find another use for the conversion i did some time ago (the one on the right).

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#82 Post by Luna Guardian »

Very nice work! I especially like the blue/turqoise hue you're using =D>
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
mcpolle

#83 Post by mcpolle »

hi there, have just looked thru, and your colours are great, now you probably have written it somewhere, but would you please talk us thru the turquoise colour again .

Thx, must be great to have such a pretty army to play with,

Polle
Mireadur

#84 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, thanks for the comments guys, im getting finding great motivation thanks to them (im right now in a break from those charioteers :p).

About the turquoise just use plain hawk turquoise as base colour and from there keep adding white to the mix. For a more blueish/greenish effect can use the proper washes. Also for a darker base colour i mixed sometimes with black and even purple (looks better with this one).

I think i normally use base colour + 3-4 lighter layers.

And.. Yeah, indeed is amazing playing with a fully painted army, but this is not comparable to having both of the armies fighting painted. I think the main factor for me to painting all this HE stuff is the fact that my most usual gaming mates all put a lot of time into it. I think it produces an overall ''feedback'' effect where all players paint more and more as they see their mate's progresses.

Back to painting now [-o<
Mireadur

#85 Post by Mireadur »

So the power supply was down for most of the evening (catched me painting a charioteer) so i had to move on other matters which could be done with just the sunlight.

1st my second unit of spearmen.. What you see is correct, there's 32 of them in an 8x4 formation (house rules make it logical, dont jump at me!).

About the 2nd pic, that is the last one of the BSB's i will make for the army. I was going to buy a metal hero for the conversion but since i didnt want to spend 15€ on a single infantry model i finally chose a simple conversion using various parts. The legs from archer kit, torso from SH, head and helm from the RBT kit and the arms and sword from the commander and dragon lord kits.
Maybe should put him over a rock?

I promise i will get the chariot finished by Thursday. Good night all!

EDIT: luckily i got the last piece of underwear from the pile earlier in the evening.. So professional photos, arent they? :lol:
Bolt Thrower

#86 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Great work. Love the simple twist on the classic high elf scheme. On your finished BSB that is pictured in your white lions, where does the sword arm come from? I've seen it a couple times on the forum. It's not part of the noble/prince kit, is it?
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Mireadur

#87 Post by Mireadur »

Bolt Thrower wrote:Great work. Love the simple twist on the classic high elf scheme. On your finished BSB that is pictured in your white lions, where does the sword arm come from? I've seen it a couple times on the forum. It's not part of the noble/prince kit, is it?
The arm is either from the commander kit / the dragon lord kit. The sword is just a SH champions sword (they are so oversized that works as 2hander perfectly :p) and the hilt i really dont remember... Maybe it is from the commander kit huge runed sword.
Bolt Thrower

#88 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Mireadur wrote:
Bolt Thrower wrote:Great work. Love the simple twist on the classic high elf scheme. On your finished BSB that is pictured in your white lions, where does the sword arm come from? I've seen it a couple times on the forum. It's not part of the noble/prince kit, is it?
The arm is either from the commander kit / the dragon lord kit. The sword is just a SH champions sword (they are so oversized that works as 2hander perfectly :p) and the hilt i really dont remember... Maybe it is from the commander kit huge runed sword.
Ahhhhh. So it's just the regular shield arm with some pieces trimmed and glued into place? All this time, I'm looking for an entire arm with sword that looks like that. :oops: Thanks!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Mireadur

#89 Post by Mireadur »

Its finished at last, for some reason it was an extremely heavy duty to paint it, i hope you like it.

The reason for which i used a chracian chassis instead of the tiranoc one is just because when testing with the different parts i happened to like the archers position, nothing special really.

Now going to finish this guy between today and saturday:

Good night peoples!
Elaithnir

Re: Just another HE Log =) (Finished chariot! 29/7/10)

#90 Post by Elaithnir »

Pretty! Mind if I ask how you do the armour? Looks amazing!