Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:33 pm 

The current version of thqt guy isnt the same as in that photo. Similar however. It uses legs, hands and spear from the chariot kit, the head is frm a wood elf kit, current torso is from a silver helm. The rest are various bits all frm HE sprues. Hope it helped.

Follow the dramatic battles and events occured in the ''island of gods'' 4 armies campaign!

Terrae Autocratorum. A space marines log..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:38 pm 

Mireadur wrote:
The current version of thqt guy isnt the same as in that photo. Similar however. It uses legs, hands and spear from the chariot kit, the head is frm a wood elf kit, current torso is from a silver helm. The rest are various bits all frm HE sprues. Hope it helped.

Cool, but now I'm curious, what changes have you made to it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:34 am 

ill be back home by friday, will take a pic then of the mini for you.

Follow the dramatic battles and events occured in the ''island of gods'' 4 armies campaign!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 am 

Heres the model you asked for, sorry for the delay.

The torso and sword are from SH, cloak and shoulderpads from archers, head i dont remember (maybe Wood elves?), spear hands and legs from chariot kit and the cloth of the belt i dont have idea, but from HE for sure :)

On a different order of things, i arrived yesterday evening and found my bedroom all teared apart, they painted the room while i was out and broke the wardrobe, my painting lamp and several minis ( #-o) so it looks like i wont be able (still) to start work on the griffon lord :x, anyhow i will post some WIPs of the model by the end of the week for sure.. maybe even the finished model.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:57 am 

head is from the HE Mage kit most likely
lovely kit-bashing knack you have (does this sound like Yoda?)

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:27 pm 

the legs look too big maybe dont they? (or the torso too small).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:55 pm 

well i see a flawless connection of the two in the waist. so if there is something awkward you see in real life (could be the angle of the pic...) then it is GW faulty idea of proportions

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:00 am 

So this is how the griffon lord is going so far. Im working now on the panther part of the griffon. I think i managed a good ''lion'' appearance so far and the next step, the leopard black spots, is going to be a risky one indeed as i have never tried such a thing before.

I guess since i already gave the lower part of the beast a white tone, all i can do is go ahead and go for leopard instead the simplier and easier ''lion'' look.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:27 pm 

IIRC, the Eltharion masterclass on GWs website has nice tips on doing spots... Might help!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:38 pm 

More WIPs!

I finished the griffon now! Just the rider remaining, but im painting it with such passion that i feel i can finish it tomorrow. Today at least, i pulled 6 hours of painting.

Im quite happy about the leopard side of the beast, and extremely satisfied with the claws and the head. The feathers im not sure if i need to apply a last light level to the dark ones. The whiteish feathers i think that look quite good.

Any thoughts on the dark feathers?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:40 am 

I think the Griffon is excellent. Keep as is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:00 am 

Hi there,

Your army is great. Gotta love your colour scheme, and the griffon is turning out fantastic.

Keep up the great work. =D>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:59 am 

beautiful griffon!
well done! whats next?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:58 am 

Thanks for the comments guys! Unfortunately i already touched the griffon hehe, i wanted to give more contrast to hte dark feathers and applied a few black washes (i should have painted them black and from there paint 1 feather at a time i guess). So i have to give them a new light, will look better in the end i hope, so its no problem.

About whats next, well... The rider! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:16 am 

That griffon is incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 am 

Very nice. Glad you're passionate about it. I'm plowing my way through the same 5 Reavers still and I just can't seem to get motivated. I blame work! :P
Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:14 am 

really really like the way you did the feathered parts of the grif, mate! and since your skill far surpasses what i could ever do myself i would only take my comment with a pinch of salt, but here it is anyway: what about using some thined black wash on the leopard part to make it not stand out so much?

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:28 am 

Baalan wrote:
really really like the way you did the feathered parts of the grif, mate! and since your skill far surpasses what i could ever do myself i would only take my comment with a pinch of salt, but here it is anyway: what about using some thined black wash on the leopard part to make it not stand out so much?
cheers

Ahh too brilliant colours on the leopard side right? haha, in truth this is because i tried something different this time. Ill explain myself: I normally always basecoat black and from there start painting and lightning, but this time i basecoated white and just painted black the rider (since most of it is armour) in an attempt to obtain a more brilliant appearance.. It seems it worked pretty well then!! :lol:

Im really happy about how the leopard side turned although the more i look at it the more i think i should have left it like a lion without any black dots at all.. The colours on the mane are really really crisp trust me on it (and i love it!).

About applying a black wash now, im my experience (ive tried it on other mini), the black wont just make the paint more dark but will also create stains and ruin what you are trying to darken (only works over dark colours, like precisely the dark feathers of the griffon, which you will see now how ended after the black wash and a new highlight).

Anyway heres the final griffon. I have left the wings unglued for transport purposes since the plug in system it uses works perfectly instead of magnets, doesnt it?

Im unsure at this point about giving a highlighting to the down side of the wings, it looks unfinished when it look it from very low angles but that shouldnt happen normally.. Anyway heres the new WIP:

Tomorrow will update with the finished model. Thanks for the comments, suggestions and watching!

Last edited by Mireadur on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:34 am 

thank you for your input mate! might just saved me from a future disaster :wink:

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:15 am 

Every army needs its Big Boss, a great and outstanding centerpiece able to draw all sights to it and provoce whispers in awe. My orcs and goblins had this:

My Slaneesh WoC had him..

Certainly good models from a different era and decently painted. But today, after almost 2 years of painting my beloved pansies and 18 hours of paintjob on this one.. I got my HE centerpiece: (heh im sorry for this crap but im really excited about the model).

Its really late (2.00AM here) and i still have to finish painting a small elven ruin that will go on the base. But i had to take the pics and share them :oops: Hope you guys like it, i will get new pics tomorrow anyway, with better light and the base finished.

Thanks GW for making such an amazing model, a true joy for the lovers of this hobby of you.

Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:19 am 

flawless painting and very smooth blending...all in all, a true centrepiece indeed!
=D>

cheers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:04 pm 

Love the prince on the griffon, though I just want to know, what did you use to paint the griffon?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:36 pm 

Hi, the colours used for the griffon have been:

For the panther part:

-Foundation calthan brown, then vomit brown, golden yellow, bleached bone, white and black. Soft wash of gripphone sephia just in the areas which should be darker. For the footprints used elf flesh over the calthan brown basecoat.

For the feathers:

-Foundation charadon granite, dheneb stone, then washes of gripphone sephia for the light feathers and gripphone sephia then badab black for the dark feathers. For the lights used mix of charadon granite+astronomicon grey, then charadon+white. For the light feathers used white for the lights.

For the claws and beak:

-Foundation calthan brown, ianden darksun, then bleached bone to white.
-Foundation adeptus battlegrey and astronomicon grey.

A pic with the base finished (i just realized that a mix between camera flash and soft daylight isnt good for the pics).

Next is going to be another tiranoc chariot i believe.. Until then!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:19 pm 
Green Istari

Paint job on the Orc is great, on the Griffon Rider superb, can see why you're so happy with it!

Prefer the Orc model though...

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:04 pm 

=D> =D> =D>

Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:42 pm 

Looks lovely :D

Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves

Visit my High Elves log

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:45 pm 

Im currently working on the dragon, i said it would be really back in the queue but i suddenly felt like finishing it!. The dragon is going to be red, the riders i really have no idea of how im going to do them, but will think about it once the dragon is finished. Anyway i will begin posting pics during what remains of this week, and hopefully have the dragon done by sunday (not the riders).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 pm 

Might I inquire what colors you used for your NMM? And exactly how you got the excelent effect on the blue clothes on the rider.

Lovely mini =D> =D>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:26 pm 

Hi, The NMM is semi NMM in truth... I use scorched brown, then shining gold, then devlan mud wash, then vomit brown, then start adding white to the vomit brown until pure white somewhere..

For the silver i mix silver with a little black 1st, then pure mithril silver, then black wash, then mix mithril silver with a little white.

For the clothes i used turquoise hawk in the cloak, 1st mixed with leviathan purple wash, then pure turquoise hawk, then adding more and more white until pure white.

The rest of the cloth is just lightning blue to white.

Hope it helped sir.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:54 pm 

Astonishing :o I never thought of using a combo of metal and NMM to such an effect...I most definetly will use this.

Thank you for your time :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 39  Next