Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. skeleton ballista 07/02/19

#1051 Post by Mireadur »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:When they are kind enough to texture the model good looking wood is fast and easy. When they don't it becomes very difficult. I'll always be impressed with people who do it on bows and make it look right.
Yeah this is true, now that i think about it the orc lobber was sculpted wood and only needed drybrusing or moving the wet brush sideways along the model to get it painted, but with the new plastics its all flat and you have to do the woodgrain yourself with better or worse success (easy on bows and similar but on big sufaces i have trouble myself). These ballistas are softly textured anyway, not flat.
Luna Guardian wrote:Really amazing work! What are you using the ballistas as? Did the VC get warmachines while I wasn't looking?
Thanks! We use our own books and in this case we have the classical vampire counts book divided in vampires, necromancers and liches/wight kings books very different from each other all books... Im building myself a wight kings/liches army and well, they have ballistas and catapults as warmachines, crossbows and bows as missile. You will get to see it all as i go on :mrgreen:
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#1052 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'd honestly forgotten that the undead lost their warmachines. I've always wanted a couple of the real old GW one, but not enough to decided to build an undead army.
Mireadur

#1053 Post by Mireadur »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I'd honestly forgotten that the undead lost their warmachines. I've always wanted a couple of the real old GW one, but not enough to decided to build an undead army.
Yes i think they over simplified some armies too much with the pass of the years, like bretonnia and undead.

The 2nd ballista is done now, next 4 more skeleton warriors to finish up the 2nd row.

I cant get good images in this tenebrous place omg! i really hate it.

Comparison of 1st and 2nd ballistas bone colours. This new grey is charadon granite base+bone+white. No wash.

And finally a group shot with my progress!

Lynve

#1054 Post by Lynve »

Absolutely love how those units look together. Not necessarily uniformitarian, but one gets the feeling like they belong to a single warband (not just because of obvious reasons). Kind of like an early medieval warband serving under one lord before the concept of standard issue armor/clothing was implemented.

The second balista, of course looks just as amazing as the 1st one, but I have to say that I'm more impressed by them bones of the first crew. They look warmer and more lively if one may say so about a pile of reanimated bones.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#1055 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Looking good. Any thoughts on basing yet?
Mireadur

#1056 Post by Mireadur »

Lynve wrote:Absolutely love how those units look together. Not necessarily uniformitarian, but one gets the feeling like they belong to a single warband (not just because of obvious reasons). Kind of like an early medieval warband serving under one lord before the concept of standard issue armor/clothing was implemented.
Thanks, this is the concept i pursue with the army, only the wight guard should be uniformed. Still as i look as the 10 warriors i painted now i think i went a little bit too colour happy considering the bones also show shade variations. Im gonna restraint myself a little bit on the pallete for the shields patterns while trying to keep them different from each other.
Lynve wrote:The second balista, of course looks just as amazing as the 1st one, but I have to say that I'm more impressed by them bones of the first crew. They look warmer and more lively if one may say so about a pile of reanimated bones.
Lol. well this might be true, still im gonna be trying different bone patterns to add some variation on the army (and also making painting less monotonous); i did the same on the orcs and it worked out pretty well both for my motivation and for the regiments appearance.

The skeleton warriors all will be based on brown and bone colour, however the wights and black knights i want to make them grey/white as if they hadnt been risen from the mud itself and instead they are resting on their catacombs and coffins with their bones clean.

We will see how it turns out as i go further.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Looking good. Any thoughts on basing yet?
I think im gonna go with wet mud and some patches of burnt grass here and there. A friend also proposed adding rusty wargear on the bases and i will do it but not on every base, in a whole unit of 35 models like this one im painting maybe i add 10-15 rusty weapons and pieces of armour and other battle debris split among the members.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1057 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I've always wanted a couple of the real old GW one
This went to Khemri when they split the list didn’t it Shannar?
Mireadur wrote:2nd ballista is done now
Is that a telescope?
Mireadur wrote:cant get good images in this tenebrous place omg
In England we have a slightly tongue-in-cheek phrase that seems appropriate here, “It’s grim up North.”
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#1058 Post by Luna Guardian »

I agree on the uniform-ish appearance. It makes sense that since the vampires and necromancers would raise dead from potentially different centuries the look would be somewhat different, but with similarities. Also, vamps and necromancers probably have an aesthetic eye as well, so they might just have their skeletons dye their old clothes in a certain way
SpellArcher wrote: In England we have a slightly tongue-in-cheek phrase that seems appropriate here, “It’s grim up North.”
Can verify
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1059 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote:
SpellArcher wrote: In England we have a slightly tongue-in-cheek phrase that seems appropriate here, “It’s grim up North.”
Can verify
Dark, cold and snowy is still better then rain and 2-7 degrees though... ;)

The units are coming together nicely. The second ballista is great as well.
Mireadur wrote: A friend also proposed adding rusty wargear on the bases and i will do it but not on every base, in a whole unit of 35 models like this one im painting maybe i add 10-15 rusty weapons and pieces of armour and other battle debris split among the members.
I think this is important to keep it "realistic". It's not like all units in your army will be walking through a scrapyard filled with bits of weapons. So having them appear only on some of them will keep the bases interesting without going overboard.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1060 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:Is that a telescope?
Apparently heheh, it is from the kings of war undead catapult.
SpellArcher wrote:In England we have a slightly tongue-in-cheek phrase that seems appropriate here, “It’s grim up North.”
im in antwerpen right now, which i think its even worse :|
Prince of Spires wrote: Dark, cold and snowy is still better then rain and 2-7 degrees though... ;)
Indeed, this is very true yes ;/
Last edited by Mireadur on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1061 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote: Dark, cold and snowy is still better then rain and 2-7 degrees though... ;)
Indeed, this is very true yes ;/
=>
Mireadur wrote: im in antwerpen right now, which i think its even worse :|
Sounds like first hand experience ;)

How did you end up in Antwerp?

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1062 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:Sounds like first hand experience ;)

How did you end up in Antwerp?
Life hates me... You know, work :mrgreen:

Tomorrow strike here btw... Time to finish 2 more skellies :mrgreen:

2 more models done!

Mireadur wrote:Still as i look as the 10 warriors i painted now i think i went a little bit too colour happy considering the bones also show shade variations. Im gonna restraint myself a little bit on the pallete for the shields patterns while trying to keep them different from each other.
Umm yeah, whatever :mrgreen:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. more skellies 13/02/19

#1063 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:Apparently heheh, it is from the kings of war undead catapult.
There’s a story told about Admiral Nelson, who had lost an eye in an earlier battle. At one point he was alerted to the surprise appearance of some vessels, which was inconvenient to his battle plan. He put the spyglass to his bad eye and said “I see no ships.”

:)
Mireadur wrote:more models done
Very realistic-looking shield.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1064 Post by Prince of Spires »

To be fair Antwerp is a nice looking city. No idea what it's like to live there.

The first model is great! he looks very happy with himself and he radiates coolness (as far as that goes for a skeleton of course...).
Mireadur wrote:Umm yeah, whatever :mrgreen:
:lol:

Rod

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1065 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:To be fair Antwerp is a nice looking city. No idea what it's like to live there.
Antwerp is hell on earth OMG, i just arrived home, 50 minutes traffic jams on a 15 mins normal route. And today wasnt even the worst
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1066 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:To be fair Antwerp is a nice looking city. No idea what it's like to live there.
Antwerp is hell on earth OMG, i just arrived home, 50 minutes traffic jams on a 15 mins normal route. And today wasnt even the worst
Ah yes, Belgians do know how to make you enjoy their infrastructure for a long time... ;)

Check out my plog

Botjer

#1067 Post by Botjer »

Nice style.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. more skellies 17/02/19

#1069 Post by SpellArcher »

I think they’re getting even better.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. more skellies 17/02/19

#1070 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:I think they’re getting even better.
Thanks man.

WoW its been rough this one, i blame the moment i thought of buying mantic models for my warmachines. They are trully awful man. So discouraging to paint, i almost stop not only painting undead but painting altogether..

Anyway, i finished the 1st catapult and im going to keep punishing myself and attempt to paint the 2nd in a more reasonable time than it took me to finish this one.

EDIT: small update on army progress. got to paint 1 more catapult, 5 skeleton warriors and then im out of undead models and will be painting again the plastic seaguard i have frozen since the last summer.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Mireadur's log. skeleton catapult 25/02/19

#1071 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The result isn't bad, but there are a couple bits that are funny looking.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1072 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:finished the 1st catapult
Does look like a lot of work went into this.
Mireadur

#1073 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:
Mireadur wrote:finished the 1st catapult
Does look like a lot of work went into this.
Umm 3-4 hours the catapult i think. I finished the 2nd.. about this time definitely. Its quick, but some parts are just confusing, for example i dont quite understand what is the leather? piece in between the shields and what is exactly happening with it. Is it broken?

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#1074 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

That leather bit is one I don't quite understand, and I also don't like the way the skull sits perfectly square.
Mireadur

#1075 Post by Mireadur »

Warmachines done! 5 more skeleton warriors and i move back to the seaguard.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Mireadur's log. skeleton catapults done 02/03/19

#1076 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I very much look forward to seeing the seaguard again.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1077 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:Umm 3-4 hours the catapult i think.
Mine would have been half as good and taken twice as long!

:lol:
Lynve

#1078 Post by Lynve »

I very much like the final effect! Especially the shields attached to catapults (and other dead boys) look marvelous.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1079 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like them. The catapult operators remind me of DEATH from the Discworld novels.

I personally do think the shields on the catapults are perhaps a bit too bland. They could have been a bit more exiting to differentiate between them a bit or add some personality to them.

Of course, saying this I should add that SA comment applies to me as well. Mine would have taken twice as long and been half as good.

Rod

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1080 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:I personally do think the shields on the catapults are perhaps a bit too bland. They could have been a bit more exiting to differentiate between them a bit or add some personality to them. Rod
I guess you are thinking of a freehand on them, and i tried! but really, i couldnt come up with any idea to draw on those shields so instead i thought id just use the army colours (the ones i intend to be the real army colours, dark green and black) but blending the lights on them and adding some scratches and dirt so at least they'd look technically cool.

In the end, good models draw inspiration while crap ones kill it..

1 more skellie..