Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log (Prince on Griffon Done! 02/10/10)

#151 Post by Mireadur »

An early WIP of the dragon, just 2 hours into it but can get the big picture about the final look.

Aldir Gwenaeth

Re: Just another HE Log (Star dragon WIP 07/10/10)

#152 Post by Aldir Gwenaeth »

Very nice =D> love the shading

(question, albeit a stupid one...why hold your paints upside-down?)
[size=85][b][color=#800000]"Let him curse my name on these blood stained pages of misery. Let him call me a tyrant so cruel. Let him curse my name, but remember the truth."[/color][/b][/size]
Sturen

#153 Post by Sturen »

It stops them drying out as fast, because the paint seals the gaps shut in the bottle lid. It works surprisingly well.

The dragon is looking very nice indeed. I guess the wings aren't done, because they look a little flat right now.
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Mireadur

#154 Post by Mireadur »

Yeah, the paint pots thing is a trick a friend of mine was told in a GW store some years ago (i didnt do this until 3-4 years ago). IT looks like the oil used to keep the paint from drying is less dense so goes up in the pot, if you store the pots normally, when you open and use paint you are using portions of this ''oil'' (or whatever substance is used) which leaves less and less in the pot and eventually dries. When you put the pots backwards the oil goes up (down in the bottle really) so when you turn it up for painting you are just using pure paint.

This is the explanation i was given at least, but i can confirm that it works, be it accurate or not. The pots you see not turned down is because they are so old that paint was already quite dry so i add water to them from time to time to avoid complete ''dryness''.

About the dragon its in a very very early stage yep, wings are just with the basic layer plus 2 washes (red baal and then black). I plan on giving the belly a fleshy colour and the wings will be red too, which is more realistic. When i painted the orc wyvern some years ago i gave the wings membranes a brown colour but with some green washes to make it look better, however i decided it didnt look so realistic and that next time id paint these membranes in the same colour of the beast itself.

Something im surprised with is how much orange the red blood looks like. I think i will wash the mini again in baal red because i still have to add lights and dont want it to look too yellow.

Anyway, will try to post a finished dragon by sunday. Be well until then and forgive my poor english!
Lord Anathir

#155 Post by Lord Anathir »

Aye, also a good idea is throwing in a little piece of paper clip to keep the paint form clumping and so you have something to shake it with.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Elaithnir

#156 Post by Elaithnir »

Think I need to start doing that. :) Question. Do you use a wet palette? I used one for the first time with my Reavers and I'm never going back. So awesome.

P.s. Damn you paint fast. :o
Lord Anathir

#157 Post by Lord Anathir »

I'd like to but I'm not entirely sure how to set one up. I have the general idea how its done only.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Elaithnir

#158 Post by Elaithnir »

Mireadur

#159 Post by Mireadur »

I was told by a friend how to do one long ago, but be it for lazyness or dont know what, the truth is that ive never used it.

I know is a great thing, specially in the very hot summers we have here in the south of Spain. So now that you have reminded us all about their awesomeness i probably will use it once i start the new dragon princes. For them i need to use a lot of mixed paint, wet palette will be very necessary then.

About the painting... Im just paiting an average of 25 hours a month since i came back from Morocco. The truth is that just painting 1 hour a day you can make amazing progress in a few months (the more the less detail you put into minis, obviously). Doing this my main WH friend has painted his FULL dwarf army on a quite good level in just 1 year.
Baalan

#160 Post by Baalan »

from the beginning i had mine upside down only because it helped me finding the colour i wanted a lot faster...nice to know it has other (more important) 'functions' as well :D

your blending technique is something truly inspiring mate...

cheers
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log (Star dragon finished 10/10/10)

#161 Post by Mireadur »

Working watching a ship on a dry dock for the weekend had its advantages, one of them is that i painted 12 hours on saturday.

So heres the finished dragon. I guess i will finish the knight rider today, and the wizard in the next days.

The good thing of taking pics is that i notice things i wouldnt do normally. For example the tongue of the dragon which broke when taking the thing back home #-o

I left the lamp in the boat so the pics arent as good as the last ones ive been taking. Anyway once i finish the 1st rider will post new pics with a better light source (not only the camera flash).

For the rock on the base i tried doing a simple drybrush looking to get the same effect as i obtained long ago with this scenery piece, but i just noticed i still need 1 or 2 more layers of drybrush... Will finish this along with the base, that isnt finished as you can see.

Still im not as happy with the appearance of the rock as i am with the 40K spaceship, which turned amazing with a very simple drybrush (tried to simulate a light source with it).

Finally i leave here too a comparison i did of all 3 elven flying steeds size for a buddy in another topic here.
Aldir Gwenaeth

#162 Post by Aldir Gwenaeth »

the last image is cool :mrgreen: like Butch chasing Tom chasing jerry :mrgreen:

That is a very wicked dragon m'friend :D
[size=85][b][color=#800000]"Let him curse my name on these blood stained pages of misery. Let him call me a tyrant so cruel. Let him curse my name, but remember the truth."[/color][/b][/size]
Mireadur

#163 Post by Mireadur »

Aldir Gwenaeth wrote:the last image is cool :mrgreen: like Butch chasing Tom chasing jerry :mrgreen:

That is a very wicked dragon m'friend :D
Haha, true :lol:
Elaithnir

#164 Post by Elaithnir »

Nice. I'm starting to like that IoB griffon more and more. :) I'll get my hands on one as soon as I finish my current load of models. Motivation!
I like the dragon too, nice lustrous scales! Can't wait to see the rider.

P.s. I tried your metal/NMM hybrid technique, but mixing Mithril with white gives me a grey smudgy mess. :( I think I'm just doing it wrong.
Mireadur

#165 Post by Mireadur »

Elaithnir wrote:Nice. I'm starting to like that IoB griffon more and more. :) I'll get my hands on one as soon as I finish my current load of models. Motivation!
I like the dragon too, nice lustrous scales! Can't wait to see the rider.

P.s. I tried your metal/NMM hybrid technique, but mixing Mithril with white gives me a grey smudgy mess. :( I think I'm just doing it wrong.
Hi Ela. You have to add very little white to the mix, try adding very very little and apply it, if it feels too dark add a bit more, etc.

About the rider, im half way to finish him (only painted 3 hours yesterday). I finally chose a dark green for the armour which will contrast well with the red dragon.
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log (Dragon rider done 12/10/10)

#166 Post by Mireadur »

Finished the dragon rider. EDITED: good pics finally (many months later :p)

Still, i dont think hes my masterwork, eventhough IRL looks well.

Now... I dont know what im gonna paint :?
Last edited by Mireadur on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dragon.Prince63

#167 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

Really cool colours there. I really like the shield, thats really good blending in my opinion. :D
Elaithnir

#168 Post by Elaithnir »

One day I'll buy a dragon. It's such a nice model! :)
Baalan

#169 Post by Baalan »

Mireadur wrote:Now... I dont know what im gonna paint :?
how about some classic LSG? :D

cheers
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
Mireadur

#170 Post by Mireadur »

Baalan wrote:
Mireadur wrote:Now... I dont know what im gonna paint :?
how about some classic LSG? :D

cheers
Too late! already restarted the 2nd tiranoc chariot :p (finished by sunday/monday).

Got a unit of 32 LSG on the queue....(shivers).
ajpieri

#171 Post by ajpieri »

Where does this eagle with a rider come from? It is in one of your pics. I see this all the time but GW doesn't sell it. Where did you get it?
Mireadur

#172 Post by Mireadur »

The rider is a simple kit-bashing with plastic parts. The eagle is the old eagle from the WE lord on eagle box set.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#173 Post by SpellArcher »

Really nice dragon, looks like it's on fire inside.

I don't like the harness GW put on this model but the rider is excellent, lovely green effect.
Mireadur

Re: Just another HE Log (Tiranoc chariot adv WIP 20/10/10)

#174 Post by Mireadur »

I made a huge mistake last week named Oblivion, but between yesterday and today i finally managed to reroll on my 2nd tiranoc chariot. I always hated painting the same model twice, so i wanted something a little bit different for the 2nd chariot. Also, being the time urges smaller with every new HE model i finish, i can now focus more on minis than when i started the army (or maybe is that ive been painting too many characters lately :? ).

Anyway heres an advanced WIP of the chariot. I tried to simulate wood this time, but retaining the ''whiteish'' appearance HEs wood have. I think i still didnt grasp the correct combination of colours to make it trully realistic, but its been a good attempt anyway.

Also, this time i tried to flee from the ''excesive gold'' my previous chariot had and limited said golden parts to the minimun. Finally added a thin golden line to the horses barding to make it a bit less simple.

Whats left to be finished? Lights on the golden parts, the riders which havent started yet and the banner pole which is missing the cloth yet, but im quite unsure about what kind of drawing (if any) adding to it.

Hopefully can post the finished pics by friday night. Be well all!

ajpieri

#175 Post by ajpieri »

I really like this chariot. The colors seem a little more realistic than the abundant gold we usually see with HE.

Anyways, what mixtures did you use on the cloth there? Did you water your paints down to achieve such a nice blend? If so, what is the ratio of the mixtures and watering down? I am really trying to learn to do stuff like this, but am a noob.

Something I find frustrating is that no mater what I do, it always seems like I am just putting a line of paint on. I don't know if I am using the wrong brush or what, but how do you achieve blends like this without it just looking like layers of different color paints?

Finally, what did you use to make the ground? Not the flock but the rocky looking area? I have been using just play sand lately, but don't really like it. I really like how your base looks here.
Mireadur

#176 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, im happy that you like it. For the base... I use beach sand, as i live right on it.

For the cloth.. I just applied turquoise hawk and from there go on adding more white to the mix until is almost pure white, which sometimes use too. the paint is watered down of course.. About a proportion im sorry i cant give a number as i just add some drops of water on a bit of paint until is quite liquid but still when you apply it it works like paint and not like water (if you water it down too much you will see how when you apply the paint it reacts like water would: forming drops along the plastic/metal and flowing into the cavities)

Lets say that you water it down but still have control of how the paint will stick and flow over the mini, instead viceversa =).

Anyway, you must keep in mind that my blendings look much better in pics than IRL, while in that cloth might be 4-5 layers i hear proffesional painters can give 10+. If you want perfectly smooth blendings you would need to put a hardcore amount of time on every single model (i've read a guy who employed 60 hours in painting an space wolves character), water down the paints even more than i do and be really really patient applying layer after layer on the same place and waiting for it to dry :shock:

EDIT: More WIPs, now the chariot is completely finished, in the pics you can also see who are going to be the riders (i moved the spear hero conversion to charioteer, modified a bit his position with some GS and he is going to look awesome!)

Im very happy with the lights on the golden parts this time. They turned out so good that in some pics isnt even noticeable the change from metal to NMM

Baalan

Re: Just another HE Log (Tiranoc chariot more WIPs 21/10/10)

#177 Post by Baalan »

mate, i am this close to stop viewing your log...seriously, it is somewhat disheartening to look at my minies after #-o

stellar job as always

cheers
Mireadur

#178 Post by Mireadur »

Baalan wrote:mate, i am this close to stop viewing your log...
Dont! Im going to paint the classic Seaguard standard bearer next :P . And it is just for you hehe.

Thanks for the compliments, they give me wings to keep pushing to finish this huge army.
Baalan

#179 Post by Baalan »

Haha! It worked then *happy dance* :D

cheers
Mireadur

#180 Post by Mireadur »

Well its finished finally. That fcker took me 20 hours but i think it was worth it.

As you probably notice, i used this conversion for the chariot. I didnt have room for it since i got the way cooler metal champion with spear (the one painted on page 4 or 5) but ultimately could find a perfect place for the mini. Double whammy i guess =D>

Anyway these are the pics of the chariot. I found the colour i was looking for the wood with that spear: snakebite leather then bleached bone, looks better imo than the colours i painted the chariot in:

So... Tomorrow im going to a tournie, i must say i totally hate not only the current rules but the tournament scene itself, with that wicked style of playing which is closer to a cards game than to a real game of battles with miniatures. But all friends going and its been like 2 months i dont play... Well, what can i say?

I also made a list to get totally owned and also im not too familiar with the current rules... We will see how it turns out jeje. Of course, winning or not is the least important, it is only that i have absolutely no hopes in having a single game out of the 3 which can be fun for both players.

What i hate the most is that i cant commit to a 100% painted army due to the great idea of limiting our core troops to spears and bows in 7th edition and now in 8th needing the same core as everybody!

Gonna take the camera there, since i know everybody will have painted armies. Until sunday!