Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. skeleton warriors finished! 14/06/20

#1141 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks guys, but dont put too many hopes on the HE.. im quite far from my highest :|

The wight is from MOM miniatures and im finding a little bit of trouble with it also.. The material is strange and the surfaces very uneven. Its very different from the GW or other companies ultra-definition models im used to paint. I feel a kind of impressionistic painting style would be better for this. Ill try my best anyway.

EDIT: the whole skeleton unit has taken around 90 hours.
MasterOfNone

#1142 Post by MasterOfNone »

Mireadur wrote:EDIT: the whole skeleton unit has taken around 90 hours.
Blimey, no wonder they look so good. It's an average of three hours per model.
I guess both high skill and loads of time are required to turn out a masterwork.

One last comment, I hope the bright green tray is just a temporary solution, I think this unit needs something dark and unobtrusive.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Mireadur

#1143 Post by Mireadur »

MasterOfNone wrote:
Mireadur wrote:EDIT: the whole skeleton unit has taken around 90 hours.
Blimey, no wonder they look so good. It's an average of three hours per model.
I guess both high skill and loads of time are required to turn out a masterwork.

One last comment, I hope the bright green tray is just a temporary solution, I think this unit needs something dark and unobtrusive.
Thanks! Yes its only temporary hehe. Bases are not finished yet, but for that i have to go back home (in 4 weeks).

I finished the wight hero. Very difficult to paint this, the surfaces are crap. very rough, uneven... poor material. sculpted by hand and not a too clean style, But i think it looks ok, specially the cloak. Very bad light in the pictures, unfortunately, as i just finished the model 30 mins ago, its 10PM here in central europe.

Ill try a better shot with natural light next time the sun decides to show up here in nothern Europe.. Tomorrow i start painting ellyrion reavers :D
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. wight hero 16/06/20

#1144 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:I finished the wight hero
There's something almost pre-slottabase about him.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. wight hero 16/06/20

#1145 Post by Mireadur »

not sure if you mean about the surface, but now that you mention it yeah.. Is like those very irregular old hand made sculpts.

EDIT: finished 1 reaver, not so happy with the rider (also some parts of the model were not good, like half of the face), the horse is ok i think. I tried to do spotted mane on the horse and it proved really difficult. There must be a technique that i do not know to do this properly..

Vermis

Re: Mireadur's log. ellyrion reaver 21/06/20

#1146 Post by Vermis »

It pains me to see 'hand sculpted' used as a pejorative, but yeah, that example's a bit rough. :lol: Still great painting.

And on the reaver, too. Is that a chariot horse? I have a few of those myself, meant for something other than chariots. Excellent colours.
Mireadur

#1147 Post by Mireadur »

Vermis wrote:It pains me to see 'hand sculpted' used as a pejorative, but yeah, that example's a bit rough. :lol: Still great painting.

And on the reaver, too. Is that a chariot horse? I have a few of those myself, meant for something other than chariots. Excellent colours.
hahaha actually you are right, in fact i often like much more the old 6th-7th edition hand made sculpts than many computer generated new ones... But i guess there are sculptors and sculptors.. This one from MOM couldnt achieve even surfaces at all. A little bit like some really old models.

Thanks for the compliments, yes they are chariot horses. Those and the ones from the plastic dragon princes are the only good horse sculpts theyve managed for HE sadly. The new island of blood reavers are awesome but the horse heads look like that of a donkey unfortunately (also the models are on a 32mm scale apparently).
Olthannon

#1148 Post by Olthannon »

Wow that paint work is stunning as ever. I'm sat on my Ellyrian Reavers currently and doing some fun customisation. I've got two of those spare Tiranoc horses and I was really debating how the Reavers would look on top versus the older horse models. Seeing this has definitely inspired me. Think I'll put those together pronto!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1149 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:not sure if you mean about the surface
Just a feeling.
Olthannon wrote:Wow that paint work is stunning as ever.
Very much agree, crisp and well defined. Style seems very slightly different compared to your normally luminous (that's a compliment!) models though Mireadur? Or maybe it's the Northern Light?

:)
Mireadur

#1150 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote:
Olthannon wrote:Wow that paint work is stunning as ever.
Very much agree, crisp and well defined. Style seems very slightly different compared to your normally luminous (that's a compliment!) models though Mireadur? Or maybe it's the Northern Light?

:)
Interesting... Its a little bit of both i think. On one side the light is very poor, and i normally finish paiting very late and then inmediately take the pictures, but it is also true that ive been evolving into a more ''weathered'' painting style that could definitely be having a part in this perception. At any rate we will be able to compare how the 2 new reavers fit into the old unit in 3 weeks that im travelling home for the summer. Let the southern sun cast some light into this mistery :mrgreen:.

Im going to paint a seaguard model before i leave though, and those models i have them here with me, so we will be able to compare there too.

EDIT: finished the 2nd horse.

Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. ellyrion reaver BSB done 01/07/20

#1151 Post by Mireadur »

Yeee, finished the BSB.

So... Its time for the real deal...

EDIT: yup.. the sword of the champion got broken and. I lost it.. #-o
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1152 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:Yeee, finished the BSB.
I really like the definition you've got on the standard top Mireadur. I find it's so easy for these to turn out unremarkable.
Mireadur wrote:So... Its time for the real deal...
Tremendous work so far.
Mireadur wrote:EDIT: yup.. the sword of the champion got broken and. I lost it..
:(
Olthannon

#1153 Post by Olthannon »

I love those Reavers and yes, the definition on the standard top is beautiful.
One foot in the hobby
Vermis

#1154 Post by Vermis »

The horses are excellent. The teals on the seaguard aren't so bad, either. :)
Mireadur

#1155 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks guys, enjoying my vacations with family lately. I finished the bases of the skeletons and elves. Also found the sword blade of the seaguard champ (apparently i left it back home for a future fix). The 2 new reavers are indeed darker than the old ones, unfortunately cant paint the whole unit again.

Been pretty busy moving stuff from parents home to my home (warhammer stuff) i hope i can resume painting in august will post all the updates then.

Enjoy summer!
Mireadur

#1156 Post by Mireadur »

back from 2 months break and back in Holland. I just finished another sea guard while i wait on quarantine to resume work =). Felt a bit rusty, specially with the gold, but i guess ill get it again soon.

So i think im gonna paint now the test model for the handmaiden unit. Keep you posted guys, thanks for the comments.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1157 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:Felt a bit rusty
Looks very nice to me Mireadur. A bit dark perhaps, or is that the Northern Light?

:wink:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1158 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome back in Holland. Enjoy the lovely autumn weather while it lasts (it will start raining soon enough...)
Mireadur wrote:Felt a bit rusty
You can't really tell from the model. He's as epic as usual, though I agree with SA that he does look a bit darker than some earlier models.

What colorscheme do you have in mind for the maiden guard?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1159 Post by Mireadur »

i cant paint those maidens, i painted a test model and its horrible. Going for full green with them, want something different in the army, but really, the models are awful, i cant make them look ok. Gonna look like a unit painted 8 years ago.

Not happy with the dark green-blueish i painted the side cloak with, for the next i will try a diffferent color. Pictures may not look so bad, but im really unhappy with my job there. I remember i painted a handmaiden for someone in the forum several years ago and i was far from happy with the result again. They are going to be a nightmare, luckily just have to do 15.

Going to do another seaguard next, need to wash away this feeling of failure :mrgreen:

The models may look darker because of the light in this part of the world, theres no difference in method between that seaguard and the previous except maybe that i came a bit short on the more extreme lighting.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1160 Post by Prince of Spires »

You just have a very high standard... ;)

I get what you mean. I think it's the combination of the blue and the green that doesn't work that well together. Maybe something like yellow or cream works better.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1161 Post by Mireadur »

i just realized i forgot the edge lights on the seaguard shield.. Will fix tomorrow :roll: I couldnt tell why the model looked more flat than the previous until i was checking a picture of my best painted seaguard and noticed about the shield. I have to work more on the ribbon and bandana edge lights too.
Prince of Spires wrote:You just have a very high standard... ;)

I get what you mean. I think it's the combination of the blue and the green that doesn't work that well together. Maybe something like yellow or cream works better.
Yes, definitely cant use that combination again. I will add some colour variance through the cloaks, since im not going to repaint it nor paint the rest with the same tone :mrgreen:.

I also decided im going back to my old recipe for gold. ive tried a new one with more true metals for these 2 models but im very unhappy with it.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1162 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:the models are awful, i cant make them look ok
I know what you mean Mireadur, before painting mine I feared the worst. Somehow they came out quite well though, compared to my other models. Suspect it had a lot to do with painting style.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#1163 Post by Galharen »

Mireadur, I know what you feel exactly.
I general I like the oldschool sculpts, but nowadays they seem a little bit odd. Also, many details, such as cloak edges are deformed due to laying around many years here and there. GW had some issues with proportions, we all know the giant hands and male faces in maiden guard models:)
Mireadur

#1164 Post by Mireadur »

I just finished 1 more, i really like this one. I think i got it down again.

Closer view:

Comparison of the last 2 models (with shield fixed on previous one):
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1165 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote: I think i got it down again.
Yup! Shield in particular is vibrant as all hell.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1166 Post by Prince of Spires »

He is stunning indeed. You've got all the details right with this one.

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1167 Post by Mireadur »

Umm actually im checking the pics now and there are many rough spots on the golden areas :mrgreen:. Ill try to improve them on the one im painting now.
Azaam

#1168 Post by Azaam »

They really look great. Good job !
I love the facial expressions on these models. I didn't know it was possible to do so much on the face !
Do you mix paints to obtain the skin tones or do you have existing paint for it ?
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
wamphyri101

#1169 Post by wamphyri101 »

awesome paint job!
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Mireadur

#1170 Post by Mireadur »

Azaam wrote:They really look great. Good job !
I love the facial expressions on these models. I didn't know it was possible to do so much on the face !
Do you mix paints to obtain the skin tones or do you have existing paint for it ?
Thanks, for these faces im using dryad bark or dark flesh as base, then bugmans glow, then a wash of carroburg crimson, then i do lights with elf flesh and add white to it finally. small wash of dark brown also if need. What im painting lately is the lower lip colored what i think improves the faces a lot (that is when its clearly sculpted), for that i just add a tip of red to elf flesh. I have around 60 colours so really never do paint mixes other than for adding lights. These seaguards are sporting +25 different colours though, what is quite amazing for a basic trooper.
wamphyri101 wrote:awesome paint job!
Thanks again. I finished another just now. Eventhough i have 4 different lights on in the bedroom including the 2 lamps for painting with 2500 LUMEN together i cant get a proper light when i take the pictures, this kills quite a lot the more extreme lights but in turn helps a little bit softening the transitions on the metal parts, which frankly i seldom try too hard.