Line of sight / conversions

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Skybreaker

Line of sight / conversions

#1 Post by Skybreaker »

Maybe this should be in the tactics forum, I don't know...

When it comes to things like dragons and great eagles, does it make any real difference how the model is positioned / converted?

For example, if I had an eagle banking through the air, one wing up and one down, if I ever get around to playing will this make it impossible to hide behind trees etc?

And for a dragon, does the flame template actually come from its mouth (i.e. is that why our dragon model has the head low and stretched out?)

I wouldn't want a rearing dragon that looked cool but couldn't do anything! :lol:
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#2 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

LoS is base to base.

This ain't 40K (thank god) with true Line of Sight. You have to be able to draw a line from one base to another to be able to see.

So modeling is fine.

Now, 40K - Jeff Caroll from Podhammer had the right idea; Imperial guard, all prone, covered in sand = win.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
The Ogrob Returns

#3 Post by The Ogrob Returns »

It is my understanding that 7th edition in fact is worded to make it true Line of Sight. I don't own the rulebook, but they had this discussion over at warhammer.org.uk a while back, and came to the above conclusion.

Base to base line of sight has been the standard for all the previous editions I've played.
We must not remind them that [b]giants[/b] walk the earth.
grantmepower

#4 Post by grantmepower »

Oddly enough they do have the flame template come from the mouth of said model. Remember though that it doesn't really have to touch any enemy models just go over their bases at some height. This makes conversions all sorts of oddness, such as when a dark elf player at my club converted the high elf dragon and put it on a 50mm base because the dark elf one is 50mm. It makes it so that the dragon head is so far out from the actual base that you can be hit by dragon breath but be out of terror range :)
~Grant
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
Elanil

#5 Post by Elanil »

grantmepower wrote:Oddly enough they do have the flame template come from the mouth of said model. Remember though that it doesn't really have to touch any enemy models just go over their bases at some height. This makes conversions all sorts of oddness, such as when a dark elf player at my club converted the high elf dragon and put it on a 50mm base because the dark elf one is 50mm. It makes it so that the dragon head is so far out from the actual base that you can be hit by dragon breath but be out of terror range :)
~Grant
Sounds like a classy guy. I believe there was a discussion here on Ulthuan.net about the fact that a dragon's base size is technically supposed to be 50mm and how that would mean you could mount the new dragon with his head way off the base.

General consensus was that doing that made you a bit of a cheater.
GruPax

#6 Post by GruPax »

in case of dragons the flame template is measured from the mouth, so i converted a 24 inch neck (just kidding bts)