Cheap Eagles? Wood Elf Hawks?

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Silver sword

Cheap Eagles? Wood Elf Hawks?

#1 Post by Silver sword »

How do you think Wood Elf Warhawks would work as a cheap alternative to Great Eagles?
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: Cheap Eagles? Wood Elf Hawks?

#2 Post by Luna Guardian »

Why not. I'm using them, but you should base your army in Chrace, Avelorn or Cothique, as the models have a very "woodland" look to them
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Andrew_uk

#3 Post by Andrew_uk »

I plan on using terradons for my eagles. My army is based in Caledor and the terradons body is very similar in shape to our dragons
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Foxbat

#4 Post by Foxbat »

I also used them. I just painted them up in GE colours.

Also, I converted one of the WE riders into a HE rider. It was a drag cutting and filing all those vines off the model though. The best part was that I used two rare earth magnets so I can use them with or without a rider.
Silver sword

#5 Post by Silver sword »

Foxbat wrote:I also used them. I just painted them up in GE colours.

Also, I converted one of the WE riders into a HE rider. It was a drag cutting and filing all those vines off the model though. The best part was that I used two rare earth magnets so I can use them with or without a rider.

The warhawks have vines or the rider??
Silver sword

#6 Post by Silver sword »

Andrew_uk wrote:I plan on using terradons for my eagles. My army is based in Caledor and the terradons body is very similar in shape to our dragons

Wow, thats a pretty cool idea. A Dragonrider, & Dragon princes, along with those Terradon/Eagles makes an awesome Caledor theme.
Foxbat

#7 Post by Foxbat »

Silver sword wrote:The warhawks have vines or the rider??
Yeah check out the photo of the model on the right (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... prod800878). BTW it was this WE rider I converted to a HE rider.
Silver sword

#8 Post by Silver sword »

Hmmm...ok. Thanks.
Jeroen

#9 Post by Jeroen »

Disadvantage of the warhawks is that they are not very stable; this week another one of my warhawks litteraly 'broke' during battle. It's just too much metal on one small pole :?
Lord Anathir

#10 Post by Lord Anathir »

With the new true line of sight rule some people might take issues with smaller hawks being used for great eagles.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

Silver sword wrote:Wow, thats a pretty cool idea. A Dragonrider, & Dragon princes, along with those Terradon/Eagles makes an awesome Caledor
I always fancied something like this, a la Thieves World or Fire and Ice.
Griffon Prince

#12 Post by Griffon Prince »

I was wondering about this myself actually. I have two of the old HE eagles and a few of the old Warhawks. The reason I use them is that fact that they can all fit into my army transport with the rest of my list. I'm not in the best of health and I'm only capable of carrying so much so instead of spending $120 US on 4 of the new eagles and trying to carry them in a seperate box, I use what I already have.
So yeah, I've been worrying that some players would have issues with me using the smaller models because of the true line of sight rule.
Another question, what bases should they be on? The ogre sized or the monster sized?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

One of my Eagles is an old Warhawk from the 5th edition range and the other is from the 1980's Tolkien range and about the same size.

Couldn't you just agree with you opponent that it would be a bit larger and give him the benefit of the doubt for TLOS? It's only 50pts after all!

:)
Andrew_uk

#14 Post by Andrew_uk »

SpellArcher wrote:Silver sword wrote:
Wow, thats a pretty cool idea. A Dragonrider, & Dragon princes, along with those Terradon/Eagles makes an awesome Caledor

Silver sword wrote:Wow, thats a pretty cool idea. A Dragonrider, & Dragon princes, along with those Terradon/Eagles makes an awesome Caledor
I have my spearmen *nearly* done, and a noble on the way I plan on starting a blog for the army when I have something to show in it maybe in 2 weeks or so. I've done the spearmen with dark elf dragon shields to tie in with the theme and I have plans to maybe use Corsairs models somewhere (maybe white lions or shadow warriors, though I'm not a big fan of either unit) also if I can make them look more High elfy I might use black guard models as my 'dragon guard' though I'm not sure yet as that would be a big conversion project; I would have to greenstuff their skulls and hooks into gems and maybe use empire militia halberds on the black guard poles, but as a basic model they look really cool and dragonny
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Griffon Prince

#15 Post by Griffon Prince »

Good idea Spellarcher. Thanks for that. :)
Is it still legal to use the ogre bases with them or do I need to upgrade?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#16 Post by SpellArcher »

Andrew_uk wrote: I might use black guard models as my 'dragon guard'
Great idea!
Griffon Prince wrote:Good idea Spellarcher. Thanks for that.
Is it still legal to use the ogre bases with them or do I need to upgrade?
I'm in the same boat and I don't know I'm afraid!