Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:30 pm 
Green Istari

Prince of Spires wrote:
There's some very nice models in that set.

It's been a life-saver for a lot of our guys, hasn't it.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 pm 
Auctor Aeternitatum

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:
There's some very nice models in that set.

It's been a life-saver for a lot of our guys, hasn't it.

It has. It's a great basis to cheaply expand your army. Especially when they were new and you could sell the skaven and rules etc for almost as much as the cost of the box itself. That was great.

And the fun thing for a hobbyist is that with getting so many duplicate models for cheap you have a lot of stuff more kit-bashing and building your own models. I'm still planning on thinking of something fun to do with my duplicate lord on griphon.

Rod

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:00 pm 

Quote:
And the fun thing for a hobbyist is that with getting so many duplicate models for cheap you have a lot of stuff more kit-bashing and building your own models. I'm still planning on thinking of something fun to do with my duplicate lord on griphon.

Actually I have two of that lord on griphon too. So I was wondering how I could modify it enough to look different from the first one. I looked for some inspiration and I found a gorgeous one that's actually from this forum: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39094
A lot of what Traxo did is awesome and I think I'll often go back to look at his/her topic.

Quote:
Looking great. There's some very nice models in that set.

I really like the Ellyrian reavers and Lothern sea guard but I have mix feeling about the swordmasters. I really like their sword and the helmet tail but the armor is a bit too simple compared to the previous edition Swordmaster.
And also I don't know if this is something true for all the "newer" models but it looks like you can't really customize them. I mean the arms or weapons can only be attached in one position. It's definetely easier to build but it lets less place to more unique models. That's one thing I really like about the spearmen I have, you can choose in which direction they face or look, how they hold their weapon, if they hold a shield or not, ...

It looks like I'm complaining but I'm really happy with what I have now.

Also I almost finished my last 4 swordmasters and I bought a couple of new paint to help me in the whole process :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:15 pm 

My last 4 swordmasters are done !
I started painting them with the idea of spending only one hour per figurines. But I made the last brush stroke after 8 hours in total so 2h/fig. I don't feel like I spent too much time on one thing tho. I think I'll try again sometime to check how much time I spend. What about you ? Do you do it ? How much time do you spend on a "normal figurine" ?

I don't think they're as good as the command group and there's a lot of details that I'm not really happy with but they're well enough.
As you can see I changed again the way I painted the swords. On the second picture you can see the evolution from left to right (2 of each style). I like the first one but it feels too special and so I want to keep it for more important figurines. I like the white sword concept of the second type but something feels off. I don't know if it's the paintjob, the lack of difference with the armor or simply the shape/thickness of the sword. Any idea ? The third style is a bit like the first one, I like it but it feels a bit too special again. Seeing the whole unit, their outfit gives them enough unity so I'm definetely okay with them having different swords. I guess I'll test some other colours soon enough.
Also you may have noticed that the scalemail is lightly different. This is the new paint I bought. Until now I was using a mix of Citadel Ushabti bone with white for base color and was highlighting with Ushabti bone with even more white. To highlight the scalemail I used Vallejo Model Color Buff. Tbh I find it a bit yellowish but I'll try on a wider area to see how it looks.

So next step is basing ! I'll play a bit with cork, modelling paste and milliput to see which one works the best.
As usual, I'll keep you updated ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 am 

I easily spend 10h per model when I'm fast! I'm stupidly slow.