2250 newb list - need lots of help

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

cannon-fodder

2250 newb list - need lots of help

#1 Post by cannon-fodder »

Hey guys,

i used to play HE a while back, but I've not played since the last book came out. I'm getting back into the swing of things and pulling together a list. I'm not after anything uber competative, but I would at least like to be in with a chance against most lists, including teir 1. So here's what I've come up with so far. I'd like magic to be prominent, but otherwise it's pretty much all changeable so feel free to rip it to peices!

2250pnts:

Archmage, Lvl4, RoF
Mage, lvl2, seerstaff
Dragon Mage, lvl2, s.wand, JoD - does this work? can i use the JoD and the DM extra dice to use 4 dice?

Archersx10
Spearsx16, mus/ban

Swordmastersx12, mus / champion with ToL
DPsx5
DPsx5, champ with HoF
T.Chariot
T.Chariot

RBT
RBT
Eagle
Eagle

By my count thats 2167, leaving 83pnts spare. I've points left on the Archmage and could also add banners to spears (war banner?) or SM. could take another DP in each unit? I'm not sure about the JoD on the dragonmage. can this work? does it allow him to roll 4 dice? Also, If I dropped something I could afford another decent special infantry unit, like PG or WL or another SM unit. drop the chariots perhaps? Also, with that many mages, do i still need any scrolls or will weight of DD be enough?

also, not sure what to do with the mages. bulk out the spears and put them in there?

I need help!

Cheers, CF

p.s. I don't know what armies I'll be facing other than I know there will be at least two dwarf gl armies.
dabber
Tactician

Re: 2250 newb list - need lots of help

#2 Post by dabber »

Your Archmage needs either Seer or Silver Wand. Playing him without improving his spell selection is massively risky. Even the Silver Wand there is risky. Since the Silver Wand pretty automatically goes on the dragon mage, the Archmage needs Seer.
I don't think there is much point in the other Mage - certainly I would rather put Banner of Sorcery somewhere than the extra Mage.
You should also have a scroll or two. 6 dispel dice is not a large number, and dispel dice don't work well against the big spells anyway.
cannon-fodder wrote:Dragon Mage, lvl2, s.wand, JoD - does this work? can i use the JoD and the DM extra dice to use 4 dice?
Illegal for two arcane items. The Jewel does not change how many dice he can throw at a spell. As a level 2, he can roll 3 dice. The extra dice from being a Dragon Mage goes on top of that, making 4 total when you want.
cannon-fodder wrote:Spearsx16, mus/ban
16 is an odd size. To protect the Archmage, I think they could use the Lion Standard.
cannon-fodder wrote:Swordmastersx12, mus / champion with ToL
If taking that many, I would take a banner and magic banner. I like 14-16 here personally, or stick with size 7 with nothing.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

As usual, what dabber said.

As you are running Spears and Swords I think you could usefully replace the Mage with a BSB, to sit in the Spears. Make this change and dabber's and the list is great. Standard of Balance on the Swordmasters for choice.
cannon-fodder

#4 Post by cannon-fodder »

Cheers for quick comments guys. taking on board your comments, list changed:

2250pnts:

Archmage, Lvl4, RoF, Seerstaff, scroll
Dragon Mage, lvl2, s.wand, scroll
BSB, GW, Dragon.A, Sheild, BoS

Archersx10
Spearsx16, FC

Swordmastersx14, FC, ToL, lion standard
DPsx5
DPsx5, champ with HoF
T.Chariot
T.Chariot

RBT
RBT
Eagle
Eagle

addressing your comments:
1) dragon mage adjusted, scrolls added to archmage and D.mage
2) 16 spears with archmage and the BSB is 6x3ranks. seems ok? with BSB they should be ok without the lion stadnard?
3) SM, adjusted size added banner

But now the list is 2310, 60pnts over. So somethings gotta go. I'm thinking eather drop an eagle and the ToL OR drop two SM's and the RoF on the mage OR run the swords naked as two units of 7. I'm thinking keep the big unit of swords (as its my only other infantry after the Archmage bunker) and drop one of the eagle. seem sensible?

cheers, CF
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

I would advise you to up the Spears to 19 but I'm guessing you only have 16 models? Either way I think they need Lion Std else the first nasty foe they contact will auto-break them. I would drop a chariot and the DP champ to put Standard of Balance on the Swordmasters.
Bolt Thrower

#6 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I would suggest a couple tweaks. First, swap the ring of fury to the Dragon Mage and put both scrolls on the archmage. So the DM will have the wand and ring; the AM will have the staff and two scrolls. I think the range and maneuverability of the DM maximizes the ring.

Second, I would drop the DP champ with helm and just have 2 units of 5 DP's. I don't think you are necessarily getting the points bang for your buck as I don't see the champ/helm giving you that much more incremental damage.

These changes bring you down to 2265, I believe, which can be solved by losing a SM or a scroll if you're feeling lucky.

That said, I don't know if I would stop there. I think your spears are still vulnerable to psych and if they are protecting your AM, you will want to protect them from that a bit. The AM will be your general as well as being key to the magic phase, so the smart opponent will advance on that unit even with a dragon flying around. There's too much risk in leadership 9 against a fear/terror test. So....

Move the lion banner to the spears (first among equals rule allows one core to take a magic banner up to 25 points). Then put standard of balance on your sword masters. You can't afford them turning tail either.

Unfortunately, this puts you back where you started at 2310. If it was me, I'd probably drop a chariot which will give you another 25 points to allocate. You could do one of the following in no particular order:

1. Give your BSB a barded steed for better save and pick up another spear.
2. Give the AM the Skeinsliver to help get first turn.
3. Give the AM the Amulet of Fire (more for additional Magic Resistance than for the flaming attack protection).
4. Pick up a third scroll for really strong defense (especially if you are not taking High Magic).
5. Give the AM the Dragonhorn (this is probably my least favorite).

WARNING: Hide your DM behind something when deploying against dwarves (or any strong shooting for that matter). If they get first turn and see you DM, you can kiss him goodbye. Move wisely.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Bolt Thrower wrote:2. Give the AM the Skeinsliver to help get first turn.
We have a winner!

:)
cannon-fodder

#8 Post by cannon-fodder »

Thanks a bunch guys, I appreciate the tweeks as it would take a dozen games to figure these things out by myself! =D>

Right, changes made to bring me back to 2310. I can either keep chariot, or the eagle + SS. As I have two chariots and no eagles at present, I'll save myself £15 and some painting and stickto the chariot for now :wink:. no doubt I will loose first turn by 1 every game I play until I get the second eagle and take the SS....

Thanks again, really looking forward to a game with them now!
Bolt Thrower

#9 Post by Bolt Thrower »

cannon-fodder wrote:Right, changes made to bring me back to 2310. I can either keep chariot, or the eagle + SS. As I have two chariots and no eagles at present, I'll save myself £15 and some painting and stickto the chariot for now :wink:. no doubt I will loose first turn by 1 every game I play until I get the second eagle and take the SS....
This made me laugh. Sounds good to me. Many of my own decisions are based on saving the cash, too. In fact, when I play my regular opponent I'll use a dice box to represent an eagle. Now that's cheap! :lol:

Just shove those chariots down their throats and you'll forget in no time about not taking first turn. 8)
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah go for it!

You'll be fine. I think the second eagle + Skeinsliver are optimal but they're about the only optimal things in my list!

:)