2250 First Attempt list

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Drannath

2250 First Attempt list

#1 Post by Drannath »

Been fiddling around by my lonesome for a while, trying to get a list that works just right for me, and have settled on this. Don't know if anyone has run/posted it before, but I thought it looked pretty interesting. Critique away!

Archmage level 4, Folariath's Robe, Jewel of the Dusk.

Mage level 2, 2 x Dispell Scroll

Caradryan (Purely for taking out those pesky monsters)

2 lots of 10 x Archers

20 Spearmen with full command

20 x Phoenix Guard, full command, Banner of Sorcery

15 x White Lions, full command

2 lots of 7 x Sword Masters, both full command, one with Banner of Ellyrion, one with Lion Standard

2 x Bolt Throwers
dabber
Tactician

Re: 2250 First Attempt list

#2 Post by dabber »

Drannath wrote:Archmage level 4, Folariath's Robe, Jewel of the Dusk
An Archmage NEEDs improved spell selection. I think Seer is effectively required, but many are willing to risk Silver Wand. One or the other is certainly essential.
Drannath wrote:20 Spearmen with full command
Why are these here? You've already met min core, so you don't need them. Spend the points elsewhere.
Drannath wrote:15 x White Lions, full command
Absolutely always must have fear protection. Everything causes fear/terror today.
Drannath wrote:2 lots of 7 x Sword Masters, both full command, one with Banner of Ellyrion, one with Lion Standard
I don't think 7 Swordmasters is large enough to justify full command, nor magic banners. They die too easily and you have relatively too many points invested in the upgrades in comparison to keeping them alive. 7 with nothing is a great unit, but if you want the full command and magic banner, I'd take size 14.
Drannath wrote:2 x Bolt Throwers
Always use the rares! Certainly dropping an archer unit for a 3rd RBT is a no-brainer, if you keep the spears. Wherever you get the points, add 2 Eagle or 1 RBT and 1 Eagle.
Last edited by dabber on Mon May 10, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolt Thrower

#3 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I would drop Caradryan and Archers to get another RBT and some cavalry in here. Your RBT will be able to handle monsters pretty well. If you do get some cav (dragon princes) then the Ellyrian banner is more useful on them as opposed to infantry. I agree 100% with dabber on Sword Master unit size. 7 naked or 14 with command and goodies. I prefer 14, command, standard of balance, talisman of loec or amulet of light on the champ.

And yes, put either seerstaff or the silver wand on your archmage. Taking out the "chance" in spell selection will make him much more effective. I have had luck using the silver wand instead of the seerstaff but to each his own.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Agree with the guys.

I would add that your Mage could also use improved spell selection and that with that amount of infantry, a BSB will probably serve you better than Caradryan.