1000 pts three mage list.

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Arcsheild

1000 pts three mage list.

#1 Post by Arcsheild »

OK, I know what everyone is thinking, but I'm looking for constructive comments on this, as the majority of the list won't be changed; I have to keep my three mages. Here is my list:

General

Mage

Level 2, Silver wand, 2 X Power stones. Lore of light.

185 pts

Heroes

Mage

Level, 2, Seerstaff of Saphery, Dispel scroll. High Elven Lore

185 pts

Mage

Level 2, Ring of fury, Talisman of Protection. Lore of life.

185 pts

Core

15 Lothern Seaguard, Champion, Standard Bearer, Lion Standard.

235 pts

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

200 pts

Total 1000 pts

My question is, should I keep the throwers, or would dropping them and some command on the seaguard, and putting in 2 X 10 archers be more effective all round. Keep in mind that there is no specific army that I'm versing here.
[i]'Though the darkness grows stronger each day, we still shall fight it, with hope that it will sometime fade. For hope is our shield against our unimaginable foe, and for as long as we live, our hope will never die...'[/i]
Kethnae

Re: 1000 pts three mage list.

#2 Post by Kethnae »

Okay, I think I'll start off by asking the obvious question: Why do you need to have 3 mages?
In other news, I think you're way over-invested in characters. It seems your strategy would have to bank on a gunline/magic blasting strategy to destroy the enemy utterly before they get to you. In my experience, not a fun way to play, but nevermind that for the moment.
I assume you'd want to hide the mages in the Seaguard for missile/spell protection. However, a single panic check on those LSG (it only takes 5 casualties in a phase) could put over three quarters of your army running for the hills.
Given the freedom to edit the list more intensively, I think I'd drop one mage entirely to buy more troops. Lacking that freedom... make sure those Seaguard have shields and a musician to reduce the probability of panic checks and make recovering from it easier.
theviking

#3 Post by theviking »

At 1000 points, what do you expect to encounter that five dice will not dispel?

Being able to pick your spells is less useful if you cannot cast them.

A one in six chance to save a wound means once in three games it will save your mage.

So drop the talisman, move a powerstone to the seer mage and/or replace the scroll with a stone. Pick a decent low level damage spell and a nuke with the seermage, use the low level spell until the time is right for the nuke then drop five on it. And use the ring first every turn, to force a decision on dispelling or risking a big spell later. If you really want to be mean put the wand with the RoF and take the ring of corin on the general with his stone. Also don't pick lores until you see your opponent's army.

I think 2x RBT and 2x 10 archers will probably average the same damage as 1 RBT and 3x 10 archers. Seaguard in this list seems a bit pointless. Anything fast dies first, and you have several turns to kill the slow stuff. Why worry about combat?

If I can talk you out of the three mage idea, a reaver bow on a horse would likely do at least as much damage over six turns as the mage will, and can't be dispelled, and can't miscast, and has armor, and has better BS than an RBT, and has better ld, while preserving the ranged damage theme.
Arcsheild

#4 Post by Arcsheild »

I'm doing three mages because of a bet I made about high elven magic/wizards and how awesome it is. All I want is the best chance of winning against any army in 1000 pts with three mages.
I've thought about your suggestions, how about this list?

General

Mage

Level 2, Ring of Corin, Power stone.

175 pts

Heroes

Mage

Level, 2, Seerstaff of Saphery, Power stone.

185 pts

Mage

Level 2, Ring of fury, silver wand.

185 pts

Core

11 Archers

122 pts

12 Archers

133 pts

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

200 pts
[i]'Though the darkness grows stronger each day, we still shall fight it, with hope that it will sometime fade. For hope is our shield against our unimaginable foe, and for as long as we live, our hope will never die...'[/i]
pk-ng

#5 Post by pk-ng »

if thats the case drop 1 unit of archers get ellyrian reavers n get 10 LSG for fire support + combat (just in case). Spread ur mages between the lsg n rbts. Marchblock/redirect with ER
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Arcsheild

#6 Post by Arcsheild »

Nice, thank you pk-ng, I will try and fit it in. Thanks over all to you guys, good to get a second opinion about these things. Hopefully will put my fight up in the battle report section :D
Foxbat

#7 Post by Foxbat »

Personally, I would go with something like:
Characters:
- Mage, 2nd level, Seerstaff, Power Stone;
- Mage, 2nd Level, Silver Wand, 2xDispel Scroll;
- Mage, 2nd Level, Jewel of the Dusk, Sacred Incense;
Core:
- 11 x Archers
Special:
- 11 x Shadow Warriors
Rare:
- Great Eagle
- RBT
Stats:
Magic: 9 PD, 5 DD, 7 spells, 2xDispel Scrolls, 1xPower Stone

This list has the advantage of manoeuvring over the other list.

I would likely bunker the mages in the SW unit (-2 to hit against a bow shot is sweet and if you get a woods in your area...).

The GE is there to do a little mage hunting, war machine hunting, or redirecting.
mmirch54

#8 Post by mmirch54 »

Honestly, I'd run something like this:

-HEROS-
Mage- Level 2, Seerstaff, Amulet of Light
Mage- Level 2, Silver Wand, Ring of Fury
Mage- Level 2, Jewel of Dusk
-CORE-
Archers (10)
Spearmen (10)
-SPECIAL-
Ellyrian Reavers (5)
-RARE-
RBT
RBT
Bolt Thrower

#9 Post by Bolt Thrower »

My 2 cents. Looking forward to hearing how it went!

Mage - Level 2, Power stone - 155 pts
Mage - Level, 2, Seerstaff of Saphery, Power stone - 185 pts
Mage - Level 2, Ring of fury, silver wand - 185 pts

10 Archers - 110

7 Sword Masters - 105
7 Sword Masters - 105

1 RBT - 100
1 Eagle - 50

995 pts
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Arcsheild

#10 Post by Arcsheild »

Hey guys, thanks for those posts, Bolt Thrower I really like that idea of swordmasters in the ranks; @ foxbat and mmirch54, shadow warriors are great, but that many? And just ten spearmen? I mean, saves pts, but personally I think it wastes potential. I like both of your ideas though, redirecting is sweet, as is the whole -2 to hit the mages is bloody handy.

Just a question regarding that. If a skirmish unit is charged, and said skirmish unit has, I dunno, three highelf mages in it, if both mages and enough shadow warriors are in range of being able to fight in the first rank, can you set it up so as the mages are in the back ranks? Or must you still abide by the rules that all characters in units must be in the front rank?

Thanks again guys, your posts have been awesome.
Kethnae

#11 Post by Kethnae »

Arcsheild wrote:Just a question regarding that. If a skirmish unit is charged, and said skirmish unit has, I dunno, three highelf mages in it, if both mages and enough shadow warriors are in range of being able to fight in the first rank, can you set it up so as the mages are in the back ranks? Or must you still abide by the rules that all characters in units must be in the front rank?
The rules force the characters to move into fighting position in such a case. So its definitely best that said skirmishers don't get charged.
Foxbat

#12 Post by Foxbat »

As noted by Kethnae, you do have to be careful not to let your SW get charged unless you have already moved out your mages out of the SW unit.

The other benefits of the SW unit are that they move freely through terrain and have a 360 degree LOS. This also means that your mages have a 360 degree LOS (big advantage over the Archer unit).

The list does lack hitting power, so it will be important that you get the spells you need for the opponent you are facing. For the Jewel of the Dusk mage I would likely take Lore of Fire. The other two should work in tandem where you roll for the Silver Staff mage first and if you don’t get the spells you needed then select with the Seerstaff mage.
pk-ng

#13 Post by pk-ng »

mite be a good idea to split up the SW
like 5x SW
6x SW
not putting your eggs in one basket and spread your deployment so that you have more mobility and better chance of blasting potential targets!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Bolt Thrower

#14 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I like the SW idea, too. Maybe a unit of them and one of SM?
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Arcsheild

#15 Post by Arcsheild »

Battle went horrible; I won't even do up a battle report.

I versed my friends skaven army; got slaughtered because we were playing closed lists and I forgot about gutter runners. Safe to say I died, rather horribly.

Thanks for all your input though; as it stands, this little discussion was very helpful for me, as, if I had taken measures to prevent scouting in my rear, I'm fairly confident I would have won that battle :D. Cya all next time for even more wacky lists :P