2250 with ETC rules - finalizing it

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Marinero

2250 with ETC rules - finalizing it

#1 Post by Marinero »

Greetings,

Tomorrow is the prep tournament for the big event next weekend. I am really struggling with the ETC rules, but I am unwilling to give up and field the stardragon just yet. So tomorrow I am going with an AM/infantry list as a last attempt to find a decent list. If I fail, I will take the Star Dragon. I will probably post short battle reports tomorrow.
Here are the 2 versions that I am split between - please share your thoughts and final comments:
Version 1:

* Lvl 4 Archmage- Silver Wand, Ring of Fury, 2xDispel Scroll, steed - 368pts.
* Noble, da, sh, barded steed, HoF, SoM, BSB - 174
* Noble, GW, DA, sh, Reaver Bow, Talisman of Loec- 149pts.

* 19 Spears, FC, Lion Banner - 221
* 10 Archers - 110

* 16 PG, standard, champion, gem of courage, Banner of Sorcery - 324
* 14 SM, standard, champion, Banner of Balance - 279
* 5 DP - 150
* Tyranoc Chatiot - 85
* Tyranoc Chatiot - 85

* 2xRBT - 200
* 2xGE - 100

Total: 2245

Version 2:
* Lvl 4 Archmage- Silver Wand, Ring of Fury, 2xDispel Scroll, steed - 368pts.
* Noble, da, sh, barded steed, HoF, SoM, BSB - 174
* Noble, GW, DA, sh, Reaver Bow, Talisman of Loec- 149pts.

* 19 Spears, FC, Lion Banner - 221
* 10 Archers - 110

* 14 White Lions, standard, champion, Banner of Balance - 279
* 14 SM, standard, champion, GoC, Banner of Sorcery - 294
* 5 DP, sb, banner of ellyrion - 185
* Tyranoc Chatiot - 85
* Tyranoc Chatiot - 85

* 2xRBT - 200
* 2xGE - 100

Total: 2250

The main difference is that list 2 has more CC power and maneurability, but a bit less durability vs damade and has weaker ItP protection. BSB would join PG/WL, the other noble spears and may protect the RBTs if necessary.
pk-ng

Re: 2250 with ETC rules - finalizing it

#2 Post by pk-ng »

i vote list 1.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Gildor777

#3 Post by Gildor777 »

I agree, I think list 1 is the better option. The spears and PG with nobles in them will do pretty well. With Reaver Bow, the archmage and 2 RBT I assume you will play a slightly more def. game. I think WL fit better in an attacking list, PG in a defensive. If the BSB is in there, they should not run.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#4 Post by Seredain »

List 2 is very similar to what I usually run and I'll vote for that.

Firstly your stubborn ItP White Lions will be better at holding a flank for the rest of you army to pivot round, and will buy you more time for your ranged attacks to take effect. The upgrade to your DP's in List 2 is significant - ellyrion banner make them much more flexible - how will you handle scouting units without this banner? At the elast your DP's can deploy in a wood in your deployment zone, denying it to enemy scouts. Especially important re. shades toting an assassin. The fact that this list has 2 units that can move through woods gives you more opportunities when it comes to deployment and in your ability to attack in awkward places. Psych protections shouldn't be an issue for your swordmasters - you have the gem for that crucial test, and you shouldn't be throwing them into combats they won't win. I don't find my swords ever suffer from fear auto-breaking, since they win combats. Lots.

I should say that I'm not too experienced at using phoenix guard so take my bias with a pinch of salt. How do you see them being used in List 1?

PS: I'm pretty sure that your noble with the Reaver Bow and Talisman should be 152 points, not 149, since he's carrying a shield.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

I'm with Seredain. Also why 16-strong for the PG?

I also don't like fielding two Nobles as I think you can play without one and I like min characters. If it works for you though...
Marinero

#6 Post by Marinero »

Hey guys, thank you for the replies and advice. I did have 2 games in the tournament today, vs DE and WoC, unfortunately losing both of them. I will post short reports in the forum.

I chose the type 2 version, pretty much having the same logic that Seredain expressed.
While I find the ETC restrictions irritating and really limitting the HE, specifically regarding my play style, I do think that I finally found the right AM led army to take to the tournament, so I may leave the stardragon at the roost.
@Gildor777 - both lists are fairly defencive in their gameplay, however, when your opponent can out shoot or out magic you, you need to be able to go quickly at him.
@Spellarcher - it was 16 strong, cause I could not find more points. With a mounted noble, they get the equivalent of 18US. 2 nobles are sort of experimental, as a responce to the ETC restrictions. As shooting and magic are limitted, I really feel the HE need more punch, thus 2 nobles to augment the 2 non-SM blocks and make them honest
@Seredain - excellent points, mate, could not agree more. Having 2 units that can move through forest was the last thing that tipped my decision in favour of that list. My observations about SM are similar - they usually maul almost anything they can get, the things that give them a headache would do so with or without the ItP protection. Yep, the RBow noble is 151 because of the shield, but I feel that the shield is not really necessary for him - he either shoots or swings the GW.. On PG - they are a marvelous unit, and once in the 8th edition the fear/terror is nerfed, I will probably be using them even more, as they really need either the Banner of Ellyrion or the War Banner to get to their full potential. PG do not die a lot, but they do not kill a lot either, so they really need a CC character to help them win by a margin different by 1 or 2, and subsequently to break their opponent. In my normal magic lists, which have a lvl 4, either a lvl 2 or a DM and the BoS, I always take them, because of their durability. With magic nerfed to 9 PD under the ETC rules, I need more CC power, that is why I chose SM and WL. Recently, I am growing very disappointed with the DP, S3 really makes them a one hit wonder, and it seems I have a notch for failing 2+ AS :roll:
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#7 Post by Seredain »

An infantry-based list really likes the extra magic and the 3rd repeater but it's ETC - what're you going to do? Looking forward to the reports - it'll be interesting to see exactly what happened and how your list played- I still reckon it's a really good one. Honestly I can see an Archmage, 2 TC's, ellyrion DP's, 2 eagles and the Helm of Fortune mounted BsB really causing some problems for missile units... looking forward to the DE game in particular to see what went wrong!
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584