Eagle Force

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Bolt Thrower

Eagle Force

#1 Post by Bolt Thrower »

The following may not pack a whole lot of punch, but I think it could be a blast to play, which is typically my main goal. Things that could be interesting is deploying in each corner of the table splitting the force equally and converging on the enemy on the flanks. I also think it could be fun to move the eagles grouped together in threes as if they were a unit of flying cav or such being led by one mounted eagle in each group.

On the topic of Eagles: any ideas on good mounted eagle models. I've seen the surfing wood elf one (seems best option so far though I prefer a saddle instead of standing). Saw another picture of one on coolminiornot but not sure what exactly it was made from. Any conversion suggestions are welcome.

Prince - Great Weapon, Bow of the Seafarer, Armour of Caledor, Great Eagle - 297
Noble - Lance, Reaver Bow, Enchanted Shield, Dragon Armour, Great Eagle - 195
Mage - Lvl 2, Scroll, Scroll, Silver Wand - 185
Mage - Lvl 2, Scroll, Scroll - 175

20 Lothern Sea Guard - Shields, FC, Lion Banner - 310
20 Lothern Sea Guard - Shields, FC, War Banner - 305

5 Dragon Princes - 150
5 Dragon Princes - 150
Lion Chariot - 140
Lion Chariot - 140

4 Great Eagles - 200

TOTAL - 2247
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Eagle Force

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

The list will struggle to deal with big flyers IMHO. No magic offence and not enough shooting. You've got the LSG bows but they are not flexible enough to counter. Also only one Core unit is allowed a magic banner.

It's a nice idea but the problem is the competition for the Rare slots IMHO.
Jaith

#3 Post by Jaith »

I think the two magical bows could keep most large things in check. Positioning the sea guard is key, creating these dead zones that your enemy will feel obligated to avoid. And then you can just shoot away!
Griffon Prince

#4 Post by Griffon Prince »

I know you want to have fun with this list but I still feel that a couple RBTs are needed to deal with big nasties.
I would drop the levels from your casters as they are basically just caddies.
Also, you have two magic banners on your core units.
Reapermini.com had a nice eagle model awhile back last I checked.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Jaith wrote:I think the two magical bows could keep most large things in check. Positioning the sea guard is key, creating these dead zones that your enemy will feel obligated to avoid. And then you can just shoot away!
I agree re walking monsters but not flyers. Reaver Bow is great but I wouldn't trust it against good armour saves.
Griffon Prince wrote:I would drop the levels from your casters as they are basically just caddies.
The idea is 2x3 dice Drain maybe? Though I still distrust the pure defensiveness of it.
Bolt Thrower

#6 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Yes the RBT will most likely be missed. No argument on that one. With my typical opponent being lizards the RBT have come in handy to take down ancient steggie with the engine. However, in recent playtesting with that opponent the possibility is there that I can disable the engine by killing the the priest with a basic DP charge. Also in previous matches, the sheer qty of shots from 2 blocks of sea guard can be fairly effective on the engine as well. Not bringing the RBT also reduces the effectiveness of what is typically two units of terradons that have no trouble taking them out.

Thanks for pointing out the magic banner snafu. I haven't read that section of the army book in so long that all I remembered was that core units could take magic banners. :oops: Wishful thinking.

Mages would take high magic strictly for drain magic purposes. They are glorified caddies, but if I can get a shield or curse off occasionally with a drain magic, it can be effective--as recently happened to me.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Bolt Thrower wrote:. With my typical opponent being lizards
I'm beginning to see...
Dragon.Prince63

#8 Post by Dragon.Prince63 »

SpellArcher wrote:The list will struggle to deal with big flyers IMHO.
What does IMHO mean :?:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

In My Humble Opinion!

:)