Core Heavy 2250

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Runt Nosher

Core Heavy 2250

#1 Post by Runt Nosher »

I've been playing Ogres for most of 7th and decided to get to work on my decades old High Elf army that's been kicking around my house for tooooo long. I wanted a magic heavy approach, I liked using castle/reactionary High Elves back in 4th/5th so this is my attempt at resurrecting my past.

Archmage - Lvl 4, Silverwand, Dispel
Noble - BSB, GW, Armour of Caledor
Mage - Lvl 2, Seerstaff, Dispel

10 Archers
10 Archers
24 Spearmen - FC, Warbanner
20 Spearmen - FC

14 Phoenix Guard - FC, BoS
5 Silverhelms - mus
5 Silverhelms - mus
5 Ellyrian Reavers - spears/bows/mus

2 RBTs
2 Eagles

I realize that it's not even remotely competitive, I just like the aesthetics and in the few games I've played with it my opponent and I both experienced what seemed to be a more tactical/strategic approach to the game. As a matter of fact it has kind of started a bit of a renaissance amongst my peers encouraging them to play around with lists they like the idea of rather than unit spam.

There are a bunch of things that I would rather have in this army like Dragon Princes, I'd also like to fit Folariath's Robes on my Archmage who sits in the Phoenix Guard. The only way to fit this is to drop some of the core and I feel they really make this army unique, a seemingly numbers heavy one. I would also like a 3rd RBT to force my opponent to come to me but I just can't bring myself to do in the core. I have access to 18 Smasters, Star Dragon, lots of stuff. My main opponents are Ogres, Daemons and Lizardmen.
dabber
Tactician

Re: Core Heavy 2250

#2 Post by dabber »

If your opponents agree to play similar armies, it can work. I would drop something (reavers?) to increase the PG numbers. The main issue with the concept is you end up playing super defensively, which means you can beat other soft infantry armies with your magic and shooting without your infantry engaging.

However, I'm not sure how your opponents can really play similar armies. Well ogres certainly can, but others are more difficult. Do Daemon players own enough bloodletters and daemonettes to make a super soft infantry army like this? Won't Saurus-heavy Lizardmen still take this apart, as their infantry will beat up HE spears if they reach you alive?
Runt Nosher

#3 Post by Runt Nosher »

My friend who plays the Daemons also owns the Ogre army so he definitely knows what it means to play a friendly 'beer-league' style game. He's normally well known for bringing a different list to every game night but lately as we've been hitting the 2250-3000 pt games his armies have been more predictable. He does take a Bloodthirster out for a whirl from time to time, but lately his lists have been themed on taking a herald from each god. I think he's lost the urge to go Greater Daemon, he is an ogre player after all and he definitely likes a challenge from this game rather than winning in the deployment phase.

The Lizardmen player is actually a real pain in my ass. He doesn't go heavy magic, only sometimes bringing an EoTG. He does however use a lot of saurus and skinks, with Terradon/shooty rare lizard support. This is the opponent who I've been having the great games against though, and even when you lose those ones they are so enjoyable it's worth doing it again. I have beaten him once with this list but it was the perfect storm of magic and my reavers/eagles giving his blocks the run around.

I have been planning to change this list a bit for more competitive environments. The obvious thing to do first is drop the 20 Spear unit, upgrade Helms to Princes and an Eagle to a Bolt Thrower. With 101 points left I can get 5 more Phoenix Guard and tinker with my mages magic gear. The next thing to consider though is whether or not the 25 spear unit is worth it. What do you guys think?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

I think Herald-only Daemon lists are not necessrily weaker than GD lists.

The changes you mentioned look pretty sensible. My issue with the list would be the lack of HTH killing power, as it stands.