2250p list

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Chimera97

2250p list

#1 Post by Chimera97 »

Hi

I'm new to High Elves and played dwarfs before.
Here is my first try on a 2250p list.
I wanted to have a defensive list (not a shooting list) but enough shooting that the enemy has to come to me. Just like the dwarfs.
This allso means that I don't take any cav or flyers.

High Elves 2248p

Archmage 310p
Lvl 4 Wizard
Silver Wand
Ring of Fury

Mage 190p
Lvl 2 Wizard
Seerstaff of Saphery
Dispel Scroll

Noble 168p
BSB
Great Weapon
Armour of Caledor
Guardian Phoenix

10 Archers 110p

10 Archers 110p

15 Spearmen 160p
Command

10 Swordmasters 168p
Bladelord, Musician

20 Phoenix Guard 405p
Command
Banner of Sorcery
The Skeinsliver

15 White Lions 280p
Command
Lion Standard

Repeater Bolt Thrower 100p

Great Eagle 50p

Thanks for your help!

grtz
Chimera
Last edited by Chimera97 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sturen

Re: 2250p list

#2 Post by Sturen »

Chimera97 wrote:Hi

Hello and welcome :)

I'm new to High Elves and played dwarfs before.
Here is my first try on a 2250p list.
I wanted to have a defensive list (not a shooting list) but enough shooting that the enemy has to come to me. Just like the dwarfs.
This allso means that I don't take any cav or flyers.

I don't know if you'll be able to force all enemies to come to you but some will have to. I don't know how you can force them more without more shooting or magic and you don't want shooting. I think that since your units are softer than the dawi you should definitely include some march blockers, eagles are some of our best choices.

High Elves 2248p

Archmage
Lvl 4 Wizard
Silver Wand
Jewel of the Dusk
Ring of Corin

Sadly this is illegal, only one arcane item is allowed per caster. I'd keep the silver wand and add the ring of fury and then some DS or power stone.

Mage
Lvl 2 Wizard
Seerstaff of Saphery

This guy could easily take a scroll

Noble
BSB
Great Weapon
Armour of Caledor
Vambraces of Defense

Sadly this isn't legal for a noble, but your on the right track. Helm of Fortune is a good item, though you then cannot take armour of caledor :(

10 Archers

10 Archers

20 Spearmen
Command

15 Lothern Sea Guard
Command
Shields
Lion Standard

Core heavy isn't our strongest choice but it is a fun one.

20 Swordmasters
Command
Lion Standard

I wouldn't recommend a large block of SM, if they need ranks they've already lost. take them in 14s. Also you have more than one lion standard which is illegal.

20 Phoenix Guard
Command
Banner of Sorcery
The Skeinsliver

I'm a fan of my PG block, near impossible to move, something you'll be used to with dwarves :wink:

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Rares are the best things in our army.

I have some questions on this list,
- Are the characters built right?

see above

- I Like large blocks of 20 like the dwarfs but is it smart in this list? Are blocks of 10 or 15 better?

Your PG won't perform much worse at 15. See above for SM. The core (not archers) need 15+ to be more than, well nothing.

- I allso thought about the white lions to use them on the flank. should I change a unit with them?

Possibly. I like WL (despite not having any models #-o ) and they could do pretty good in this list. Definitely consider swapping some core for them.

- Where should I put the chars? I think the smartest thing to do is putting them in the phoenix guard.

Mages in the PG and the noble in the spears.

Thanks for your help!

No problem

grtz
Chimera
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
dabber
Tactician

#3 Post by dabber »

Chimera97 wrote:Archmage
Lvl 4 Wizard
Silver Wand, Jewel of the Dusk, Ring of Corin
Illegal. Only one item from each category. Move Seer here and give him a scroll and something else. Put the Silver Wand and Ring of Fury on the little Mage. Improved spell selection is a requirement for the Archmage.
Chimera97 wrote:Noble
BSB, Great Weapon
Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense
Illegal. Way over his points limit.
Chimera97 wrote:10 Archers
10 Archers
20 Spearmen
15 Lothern Sea Guard
Why do you have all this core? Min is 2, so 2 is all you field. HE special units are strictly better than core units, even on a points basis.

Always use your rares! 2 Eagles are a no-brainer addition to this list, or one Eagle and a 3rd RBT.

Chimera97 wrote:- which magic lores should I take? I think the best lores are for the archmage high magic and for the mage Lore of Fire.
Decide when you see the enemy. I think those two are generally not good choices however. Fire is mainly useful against Daemons, or maybe Skaven. Not so much otherwise. High Magic is best against VC or maybe Skaven. High Magic on the level 2 is only useful if you really want drain magic, which mainly means spam-casting VC. Otherwise High Magic on a level 2 is not so good, because he has trouble casting the big 3 spells.
Metal is probably the most commonly used lore. Death is also nice for the rare cases when your enemy is subject to psychology.
Chimera97 wrote:- I Like large blocks of 20 but is it smart in this list? Are blocks of 10 or 15 better?
Phoenix Guard should be that big. Spears probably should be bigger (25), or just don't field them (skipping spears is the more common answer). Swordmasters and White Lions are usually fielded smaller.
Sturen

#4 Post by Sturen »

Move Seer here and give him a scroll and something else. Put the Silver Wand and Ring of Fury on the little Mage. Improved spell selection is a requirement for the Archmage.
I think that the silver wand is better than the seerstaff for an archmage when there is a second mage as well. 5/6 spells means you will almost always get atleast one you need and if you don't then give seer to the lvl 2 and he can choose the exact spells he wants but silver wand doesn't benefit him as much.
Min is 2, so 2 is all you field
I don't think you have to. Spears and archers have a place in our lists and taking more than minimum is acceptable, though not very powerful.
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Chimera97 wrote:Vambraces of Defense
I would simply swap this out for Guardian Phoenix.
Chimera97 wrote:15 Lothern Sea Guard
Command
Shields
Lion Standard
I like this unit but agree that four Core units will be hard to win with.
Chimera97 wrote: which magic lores should I take?
With your support caster as is I would be looking at Beasts for Beast Cowers if your opponent is packing a Dragon. Or Heavens for RBT re-rolls vs Steam Tanks, Bloodthirsters etc.. If you go dabber's Silver Wand route something like Death is generally useful.

Overall, as mentioned your static concept really needs light troops to march block/divert, primarily eagles but Shadow Warriors and Reavers can work too. I also feel you are sacrificing a major strength of the list in mobility.
Chimera97

#6 Post by Chimera97 »

thanks for the help guys! based on your advice, I changed the list above :wink:
pk-ng

#7 Post by pk-ng »

10 SM with Bladelord and Musician is kinda of useless.
15 Spearmen will probably auto break pretty easy to alot of fear causing units

My suggestions are
Reduce to 7 SM with Bladelord and Talisman of Loec
then get 6 more Spearmen
Add Warbanner to your Spearmen
5 less PGs
2 DS on your AM
Swap the DS on ur seermage with a PS

What this essentially do is you can use the SM to charge the enemies General or BSB and do a suicide mission to kill either of them.
Your Spearmen have sufficient numbers to now hold most fear causing units for 1 or 2 turns and your other units can help out.
Seermage can give you an extra "oomph" for your magic phase in the crucial turn
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support