new to elves first list 3k!

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

johnnyelf

new to elves first list 3k!

#1 Post by johnnyelf »

this is my first list. i am trying out everything i can while still trying to be relatively competitive. to see how things work. going for mostly magic defense with drain magic and a few scrolls with a killing lord.

prince- white sword, armor of caledor, guardian phoenix, talisman of loec
mage- lvl 2, staff of saphery, jewel of dusk
mage- lvl 2, scroll, scroll, silver wand
Nobel- bsb, battle banner, barded stead, dragon armor, lance, shield
10 archers
10 archers
20 spearmen- musician, standard
14 sword masters- full command, banner of ellyrion
15 white lions- full command, standard of balance
15 phoenix guard- full command, banner of sorcery
5 dragon princes- musician
white lion chariot
5 reavers- musician, bows
RBT
RBT
RBT
RBT
eagle
eagle

what do you think? not enough killing power? any comments are greatly appreciated.
yellowcommissar

Re: new to elves first list 3k!

#2 Post by yellowcommissar »

To be entirely honest, I don't play many battles at this size. Also, I don't know your opponents and what and how they like to play. Anyway, my initial reactions...

I like the White Sword Prince. I have used him twice to great effect, but both times against Vampire Counts. There are better Lord builds out there, but I would go with it as he is both fun and quite killy. His drawback is that he is slower than your BSB and will not be able to protect him if you choose to run your BSB off with the Dragon Princes or some such thing.

My opinion is that 1 Archmage is better than 2 Mages. Since you are allowed an additional Lord at 3000, I would consider an Archmage here as he is usually cheaper than the 2 Mages anyway.

I like the BSB, but have had mine killed off on many occasions. I'm not sure how you plan to use him, but if you are considering fielding him in the Dragon Prince unit, I would increase thier numbers to 6 and add a Drakemaster. The Drakemaster can help keep him alive by accepting challenges. The 6th model allows for the Drakemaster and the BSB to get Look out Sir rolls versus cannons and whatnot.

2 units of archers are fine, but with this size army, deployment space may become an issue, especially with 4 bolt throwers as well. Plus, I am a huge fan of Spears. I would practice deploying the army on a table to see how everything fits.

White Lions Champion is great with Gem of Courage.

Everything else looks great in print. Again I have never used this much elite infantry in one game so I don't have much experience to draw from. the Swords having the Banner of Ellyrion should allow plenty of space for the others as they can ignore most terrain. I usually run my White Lions a little smaller, and have found even Swordmasters useful with a few less models, but at this size game they are probably going to take some casualties before they see combat and probably need to be larger. You do have a lot of points in elite infantry. Dragon Princes are a little easier to use, and since you are allowed a 7th special slot at this size, I would be inclined to squeeze in 5 Shadow Warriors somehow. A scouting unit can be extremely useful just by preventing enemy scouting let alone march blocking.

Good first list. You can accomplish a lot more with your Lord choices, but depending on the level of competition, may not be necessary. Good luck. :)
Semper Fidelis
Tahl

#3 Post by Tahl »

At this points limit you begin to see some very very nasty combinations. Most people tend to field more evil things like Giants, Hydras etc than they would in a 2k fight.

4RBT's is nice but I wonder if they're enough to take out said nasty big things.
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
dabber
Tactician

#4 Post by dabber »

I associate 3000 points with super nasty armies. Relatively nastier than larger sizes, actually. I envision a 2k list plus a super lord and a nasty rare or special. Your list looks like a 2k list with a block of spears and 2 RBTs added. Obviously you added more points than that, but you really have nothing to deal with a pair of powerful lords across the table. Larger games become massively dominated by characters unless both players agree to avoid that.

PS Your Mage is illegal - Seer and Jewel are both arcane, so you cannot take both.
johnnyelf

#5 Post by johnnyelf »

good catch on the mage. i should have caught that. yea i kinda figure i was missing nasty punch. i think that will come from dragons. the high elves have potential to field 2 star dragons (and i would love to!) at 3k but that is a HUGE point sink. with the minimum star dragon lord costing like 500 points i am having so much trouble with how to fit 1 dragon into a list and have it still be viable let alone 2. i can just see it with my luck i field 2 dragons and they get killed on turn 1 from some lucky cannon shots or the like. and after that happens i have nothing left on the field. how can you fit a dragon (or 2) into a list and still fill out your army? i would like to put null stone on one to shut off any magic around him. but if thats a bad idea let me know.

PS we dont believe in cheese where i play so there is no need to worry about anyone getting mad with what you field (except nurgle daemons. cant kill those bitches for the life of me.)
Maxl Rose

#6 Post by Maxl Rose »

I agree with dabber, that was my first impression also
You could drop the phoenix guard, move BoS to the lions and Balance to the SM for a star dragon. You dont need two big dragons at 3000 but you do need two lords
If you get a stardragon you might think about changing in a RBT or two for some points towards a Archmage. Also full commands are realy expensive if the champ does not have a purpose, like guardign mages, drop him the points will start to add up

hope some of this helps
Maxl Rose