Bristol Brawl - 1200 pts.

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

Bristol Brawl - 1200 pts.

#1 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

So I've decided to attend the Bristol Brawl in June, and their rules pack is... interesting.

1200 points to build an army, no special characters, with no comp. Easy enough, except for the fact that each game is played twice. Once with your own army and once with your opponents. So the list has to be good enough to win, but weak enough to beat. Fun.

Luckily, this works for me, not being a fan of the over-competitive lists. However, 1,200pts is a small list, and I normally play bigger. So, here's a stab in the dark at what I think will work. Feel free to point out suggestions.

-------------------

Commander - 143
Great Weapon
Armour of Caledor
Helm of Fortune

Mage - 140
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll

10 archers - 120

5 Shadow Warriors - 80

14 Swordmasters - 213
Champion and Musician

14 White Lions - 260
Full Command
Lion Standard

Tiranoc Chariot - 85

1 RBT - 100

1 Great Eagle - 50

Total Points: 1197
Total Models: 48 models/54 wounds
Power Dice: 4
Dispel Dice: 4, minus 1 to opponents Powerdice pool

----------------------
A touch of explanation.

With so few points, I had to make sure that I had some form of an army. My first list White Lions as the only unit and too many support units. I over reacted about the amount of magic or war machines that could be coming my way, and without the slots for eagles I would need something else. I looked first at Silver Helms as they were fast, and took two units as they could support the battle line as well. However, I realised the army swap meant opponents probably did not go all out on either of these things, so I could relax. Secondly, with fewer models on the table, and some terrain, SW would be better as less could target them, they could move more freely, and I only need them to kill a single mage to make their points back.

So I had my main unit - White Lions, and my support in the form of an eagle and the SW. I threw in a RBT for good measure to deal with more than a single knight unit or to thin out infantry. I needed another unit to help support the White Lions against multiple enemy units, so I chucked in some Spears. However, without a character to support them, they wouldn't do much. I figured that 1200 won't have much shooting so in go the Swordmasters as a flanking unit - or even main line if the enemy shooting is thin on the ground. I still needed core, so simple archers go in.

Not many points for characters, so a nice simple commander to join the WL makes for a good general, while the mage can stop magic till I kill the enemy mages. Plus, he can't be used against me to much effect.

Finally, I had just enough points left for a Chariot to go in, adding a little more front line support or can potentially hold down a flank for a little while.

Overall with the list, I'm pretty happy. I have the option of dropping the Swordmasters for 21 spears with full command. The one thing I'm not happy with is a lack of Cavalry. The only way I can really see myself getting them into the list is dropping the Chariot AND the Shadow Warriors for a unit of DP's, or a larger unit of Silverhelms - I could get a unit of 7 into the list. No real fast unit to eliminate shooters etc means I may be hugging terrain, and be at the mercy of other cav. Will require thinking.

Anyway, thoughts welcome.
Last edited by Prince_Asuryan on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
jpdub

Re: Bristol Brawl - 1200 pts.

#2 Post by jpdub »

there is a problem why your great eagle cost 100 pts are using 2 cause it cost 50pts each