Of Resurrections and Reputations - 2250 HE

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Griffon Prince

Re: Of Resurrections and Reputations - 2250 HE

#31 Post by Griffon Prince »

Lord Anathir wrote:Noble, Gw, DA
Noble, Gw, DA
Yes, my brother! Feel the power of cheap heroes! I love taking these 99/101 point characters. They will make an excellent adittion to your list. Go, go, Lore of Sha doh!

I can't believe you managed to fit all those goodies into a roster. It's definitely your style, plenty of fast moving bait and switch units as well as some solid hammers. The lack of shooting of course, does worry me but BoH should assist with that. Perhaps you could trade in some spears for LSG in the future?

This is by far my favorite of the lists you have posted, it has great shock value, too. Let us know how it goes.

Goodluck on the field of battle.
Keith

#32 Post by Keith »

three eagles is pretty awesome also.
Defender of Ulthuan
Lord Anathir

#33 Post by Lord Anathir »

well, I lost :( due some to bad luck, but not helped by rusty play.

I took on warriors of chaos. It was an ok list, not tuned up to the max. It had:

a daemon prince,
caster on disk,
another caster on foot
unit of 18 warriors with rapture standard
2xfast cav wih axes
7 khorne knights
chaos giant
hellcanon

so a really small army. I was a dissapoint because the reavers, eagles and nobles on foot didnt have too many legit targets and alot of his stuff was difficult to break in the front. I think the biggest mistake i made was my deployment.I put the lvl 4 on he flank with 2 units of dp, 10 spears, both nobles and a unit of reavers + eagle. they were opposed by just his knights, a unit of fast cav and his daemon prince. I missed not having 2 blocks of 20 Spears.

he had a giant in the middle opposing my 3rd unit of dp, hell cannon behind it, and on my left he had his 2 little casters, warriors and fast cav against my lions, spears, lvl2 and 2 eagles.

lvl 4 took shadow and got pit and unseen.

Early game:
I could have done deployment better, centred the lvl 4 a bit more. all those knights but nothing to kill a daemon prince.anyways he got first turn, hellcannon panicked a unit of dp tothe table edge. I then chased off a unit of fast cav, rbt put 3 wounds on giant. I combo charge killed the giant with 4 dp, a noble, and then flew the other noble in, not before the giant terrored another unit ofdp off. disk killed rbt, horsemen threw axes at lions and with flickering fire I lost 9/12 in the first few turns.

Mid game:
I moved the lvl4 to the middle of the board inside a unit of reavers, he pitted the hellcannon, but he then the reavers took 2 flickering fires (disk flew back on board within range) and then got killed with bloodcurdling roar from daemon. inexperience against warriors on my part, he used i the turn before i thought it was 1 turn only.

the knights and dp turned inwards and my infantry surrounded so I had to play aggressively now so i comboed the warriors with 4 dp and a noble into the flank, spears in the front and 3 lions in front. the warriors were pinned with eagles in front and behind them, with the infront one causing my frontal charges to be displaced. lions clipped, and spears had only 4 in b2b and the warriors had only 4 in b2b in the front. he used hand weapons and so did spears. I lost a lion and a spear and killed 3 warriors in return. with CR from spears I won combat by 7 or so, and he failed his rapturious test and i ran him down, with my units getting out of vision arc of daemon prince. the same turn the other noble caught the disk and killed him.

so things were looking ok, I had 2 lions, both nobles, full both spears, lvl2, 2 eagles, 4 dp, 5dp with sorcery (on my right flank) and a unit of reavers. he has daemon prince, foot caster, knights, 1 fast cav.

End game:
lions die to magic. nobles die to magic and shooting. I have 1 dp model kill his foot caster. big spears kill reavers.

then on turn 5 he gateways my full spears and lvl2 off table. thats the raw points + the warrior flag they were carrying + the table quarter. 550 pt swing?

so bottom of 6 he has just his demon prince and knights, i have 10 spears in 1 corner, 5 reavers in another, and 1 lone dp where my big spears were. In the 4th corner I do a simple bait and flee with my last eagle and 5 dp and sorcery go into flank of knights. 8 dp attacks, no wounds, then his bloody horse kills one, and the knight another. I bounce from fear and give him another 250 + quarter + flag.

zzz

-----------
the gateway on spears and dp bounce were massive swings in terms of points, quarters and flags. that was unlucky but still the list has some issues. too much light stuff I think. Spears were my mvps along with the nobles. I need some more shooting and a better mage bodyguard and maybe something else. but hey i'm not too concerned im just playing pickup games with proxy models till 8th anyways.

dropping spears for archers or lsg is out of the question. underrated spears. if it was spears instead of those dp flanking the knights I wouldve likely broken them.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
yellowcommissar

#34 Post by yellowcommissar »

Thanks for the nice report. Always learn alot from your insights. :)
Semper Fidelis
mcpolle

#35 Post by mcpolle »

Nice bat rep, well written and easily read, always nice,

Shame about the Gateway, but you cannot do much against that, Chaos always can be a hard one, with high T and good AS, so considering the rusty play, and gateway, a job well done.

Keep em coming

Polle
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#36 Post by SpellArcher »

Lord Anathir wrote:so a really small army.
Lord Anathir wrote:a daemon prince,
caster on disk,
another caster on foot
:)

I was looking at doing a fun list with a DP and a caddy BSB. When you've got the big guy, that tends to mean an awful lot of points in characters.
Griffon Prince

#37 Post by Griffon Prince »

Tough break about the loss, LA. I've been on the recieveing end of a Gateway before (turn 1 no less) and it can ruin your day. If you want more shooting and more spears, then drop a DP unit that way you can grab 10 more spears with a banner and upgrade an eagle into an RBT.
I have faith in this lsit, it just needs a little fine tuning as you've said. Best o' luck.
Lord Anathir

#38 Post by Lord Anathir »

nah I'll drop the lions. everytime I give them a second chance and they find a way to fail me. I think a unit of reavers or both and a great eagle will go too. No rush though it will be a while until my next game.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#39 Post by SpellArcher »

Lord Anathir wrote:nah I'll drop the lions. everytime I give them a second chance and they find a way to fail me.
I agree. I don't think your heart's in it!

:)
Quannum

#40 Post by Quannum »

I know I've come a bit late to the party, but I just wanted to add my sentiment with regards to the units of 10 spears.

As an experienced HE player, I've run units of 20 with and without full command, warbanner, units of 15 with a standard, and have finally settled at two units of 10 (which really is min-core) and they have been nothing short of outstanding.

They work as mage-bunkers, redirecters, flank protectors and function as some of the most efficient table-quarter holders in the game! Think about it, two ranks of ASF attacks will see off all the light harassers out there, and they cost less than the VP's you gain from holding the table-quarter.

Obviously, certain Spearmen configurations will suit different lists better than others - but I currently run either a offensive-heavy list (Star-Dragon, Battle Banner DP's, White Lions, White Lion Chariots) in which they serve as mage bunkers for my support mages, or I run a magic-heavy list similar to the one you are using (Level 4, Level 2, Sorcery Banner, Ring of Fury) and using them as VP guards, redirecters.

They are tactically one of the most viable units in the game, second only to Skaven Giant Rat formations.

Q
Quannum. Funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

[u]Currently Playing:[/u]
WHFB: High Elves; The Empire; Ogre Kingdoms
40k: Orks; Space Wolves
AGOT Board Game: House Stark
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#41 Post by SpellArcher »

Some guys would upgrade these to LSG.

Does the disposability of the Spears outweigh the bowfire?
Lord Anathir

#42 Post by Lord Anathir »

Im not sure. If you dont have mages to protect probably lsg. anyways, if I get a game day Ill post a new list but to be honest Im just painting for 8th edition post school warhammer :D. Goal after 5 years of school is a fully painted 10k army to my standard here: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31346

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#43 Post by SpellArcher »

I like these very much.

My HE army has been the hardest work of anything I've done but more than worth it.
Lord Anathir

#44 Post by Lord Anathir »

do you have any pictures spellarcher

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#45 Post by SpellArcher »

Somewhere maybe.

I'll have a look.