Double Dragon Mage 2k

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jaith

Double Dragon Mage 2k

#1 Post by Jaith »

This list is led by a Dragon Mage, backed up by another Dragon Mage. Its brilliant.

Dragon Mage 425
Level 2
Skeinsliver
Jewel of Dusk
(General)

Dragon Mage 435
Level 2
Ring of Fury
Silver Wand

10 Archers 110

10 Archers 110

6 Dragon Princes 180

6 Dragon Princes 215
Standard
Banner of Ellryion

5 Ellyrion Reavers 112
Bows and Spears
Musician

5 Ellyrion Reavers 112
Bows and Spears
Musician

2 RBT 200
2 Eagles 200

1999 points

Reavers and Eagles bait and harrass. Archers, Reavers and RBT provide some steady fire power. Dragon Princes and Dragon Mages are there for potential combo charges.

I kept all the units cheap to leave them dispensable and therefore had to forgo Banner of Sorcery. Furthermore, with 2 Reckless Mages, Power Dice are always abundant (I have 7 power dice, 5 spells, so that can be up to a 12 dice phase), and I have rarely found the need for those 1-3 extra dice. Banner of Sorcery is more of a liability and a luxury in this rare case.

I have had mixed success with the Dragon Mages. I started off using Golden Crown/Silverwand and Jewel/Guardian Pheonix, but the protection for the 2 T3 wounds always seemed in vain. Therefore, I have been better off kitting them out more offensively, well kind of, I picked up the Ring of Fury to safely assist the magic phase, and I picked up Skeinsliver for that crucial first turn.

The most important thing I have learned is that the Dragon Mages need to wait for the opportune moment. They are each undercosted lv3 mages in their own right, with their own bunker (a private G-5 jet). I do not feel obligated to throw the sun dragons into combat, in fact there have been some games where I won't even bother trading a spell in for flaming Sword of Rhuin. But I try to keep atleast one of the mages alive, I am getting better at it :D.

My main concern is Ring of Hotek. The only effective tactic i have found around this is casting flaming sword of Rhuin on both mages and combo charging who ever is carrying it.
geoguswrek

Re: Double Dragon Mage 2k

#2 Post by geoguswrek »

What do you plan to do to other high elf players?
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Jaith wrote: Its brilliant.
8)
geoguswrek wrote:What do you plan to do to other high elf players?
Flame-grill them? :)

I suspect what geo is getting at is the lack of magic defence. Beast Cowers could be a serious issue, especially if the guy can take it twice. Not to mention anti-flying stuff. Still, you've got cavalry for mobile support.

Looks like a lot of fun, I have to say.
geoguswrek

#4 Post by geoguswrek »

Basically what would you do against a multiple DP unit list (with stardragon). Since you can't flame grill dragon princes at all...
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Aderyn

#5 Post by Aderyn »

It's obvious this list isn't optimal so it's kinda harsh to say "what would you do against the hardest hitting list we have?". :P
2250p army 2010 results
Massacres: 4
Solid victory: 2
minor losses: 1
Massacred: 1
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

too much points in characters which can die to shooting/magic/combat....

rephrase somewhat easier to die to shooting/magic/combat....
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
geoguswrek

#7 Post by geoguswrek »

Nonsense, with good play and a less good list you can give yourself an opportunity to win. however with this list against any army with large numbers of dragon princes/dragon armoured characters you are accepting the fact that you effectively start 200-300 points behind your opponent.

also i'd drop one dragon mage for a level 4 on an eagle, ok you lose the second dragon but the level 4 costs about the same and is more dangerous in the magic phase (not to mention that he can cast non fire spells for against HE)
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Jaith

#8 Post by Jaith »

I have considered an Archmage, but I realized that an Archmage generates the same power dice as a Dragon Mage (Lv2+2reckless=4 power dice). So... the advantages from an Archmage are: Pick any Lore, +1 DD, +1 to Dispel, Vortex Shard, Dispel Scrolls and Power Stones.

After playing Lizardmen with one EotG and a Slaan yesterday, I realized how ridiculous it is to have such fragile things with out a decent magic defense. So... I'm probably going to give Banner of Sorcery a second chance since I'm swapping Jewel/Skein for Dispel Scrolls. Banner of Sorcery means less princes. I also am going to try running the Reavers naked; the bows didn't really help, just made my Reavers more expensive, and I threw in Shadow Warriors for more harrassing opportunities.

Dragon Mage 425
Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll
(General)

Dragon Mage 435
Level 2
Ring of Fury
Silver Wand

10 Archers 110

10 Archers 110

10 Dragon Princes 370
Standard Bearer
Banner of Sorcery

5 Ellyrion Reavers 85
Spears

5 Ellyrion Reavers 85
Spears

5 Shadow Warriors 80

2 RBT 200
2 Eagles 100

P.S. If I'm facing a Star Dragon with Battle Banner BSB and Dragon Princes, You can be certain that your shooting phase will only last 1-2 turns. This kind of list only has 3DD and 2 Scrolls, I'll 3-4 spells each being casted on 3-4 dice. Other than that, all I can do is hope 2 baby dragons can eat his BSB, before his Star Dragon eats my baby dragons.
Jaith

#9 Post by Jaith »

So I faced off against some opponents (WOC, DE, Bret, SKAVEN) with my new list (post above) and I must admit that its a challenge to use, but it's also a lot of fun to play. Mastering the dragon mage has become a very interesting endeavor, and there is still plenty of space for me to improve.

They performed rather well. The potential magic phase I get from these guys is amazing. Tossing around 10+ Dice every phase gets to your head. I had a miscast every game lol. Both dragon mages died in all but 1 of the 4 games I have played, but the sun dragons were a bit better off. Combo charging both Dragon Mages into one unit is fun! Especially when both mages have flaming sword; I was surprised at how the motto "2 is better than 1" fit this situation so well. The 6 attacks from the Mages almost always hit; it was like impact hits at S6! Followed by 8 S5 attacks. Needless to say, if there were any attacks back, the mages were 99% guaranteed dead.

I have a new appreciation for the spell Burning Head, as it can be used in combat in 360 deg! Something I have undersestimated.

Banner of Sorcery changes my phase from a 2,2,3,3 phase to a 2,3,3,4 or a 2,2,3,3,3 phase. I am not sold on it, because while it gives me a stronger phase, i am not sure 10 Dragon Princes is the best way to do things. Those 10 DP's did soak up A LOT of damage through out the game but could I get away with just 6 dragon princes?

Disposable units were key. They allowed my Dragon Mages to do things they couldn't have done with out redirecting other things. Reavers and Eagles are MVPs for sure, and I am starting to look at naked reavers as a much more viable option they are essentially eagles (M18) with 5 wounds that break ranks.

Shadow Warriors only did one useful thing in all my games and that was getting into combat with warmachine crew. The archers would try to get table quarters and killed things they could and the RBTs never dissapointed me.

I am considering dropping the Shadow Warriors and lowering my 10 DP unit and maybe opting for some spears in place of an archer unit. The archers simply don't do anything and I'm thinking a little combat resolution and some bodies might help more. I have heard that I might as well go for tiranoc chariots if I opting for reavers, so i'm dropping one units of reavers as well.

Dragon Mage 425
Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll
(General)

Dragon Mage 435
Level 2
Ring of Fury
Silver Wand

10 Archers 110

20 Spearmen 225
Full Command