2250 HE vs. big three, Brets, and Mortals

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

theviking

2250 HE vs. big three, Brets, and Mortals

#1 Post by theviking »

To elaborate on the title, I am trying to concoct an army to use in a few weeks for a game day with some friends. I expect to see VC for sure, another guy will have either Daemons or DE, and I also anticipate Brets, Mortals, and possibly Chaos Dwarves. The meta frowns on fancy things like big gribblies and special characters, although the Daemons are mono god Khorne and I wouldn't be surprised to see a thirster. So I don't expect to see much in the way of monstrous mounts, hydra, etc, rather I think there will be good old fashioned combat blocks and cavalry supported by a moderate amount of shooting and/or magic. So the lists will be tough, but (with the possible exception of Daemons) not over the top. With that said, here's what I have so far.

Archmage, lvl 4, scroll, seerstaff, ring of fury.
7-9 PD plus the ring is as good as I could get with 2 lvl 2's, and I can go big if needed.

Noble BSB, DP kit, battle banner.
Rides with the PG. Bit of a gimmick but I won't feel bad about it against these opponents.

Noble, DP kit sans shield, Halberd, reaver bow, mask of the merlord.
Probably make this guy my general, utility build to go with DP or run solo.

2x10 Archers
Probably more useful than spears against my anticipated enemies.

19 Phoenix guard, FC, banner of sorcery
My anvil, marches the battle banner up the middle and gets stuck in.

2x7 Swordmasters
Lion Chariot
Support for my PG, or flank guards as needed. I could drop two PG and make the lion chariot two tiranocs, but I prefer lions.

5 DP, banner of ellyrion, amulet of light
Equipped for wraiths, but mainly flank support and hammer.

3 Maneaters, BoH, HA
My other hammer, and also a bit of a gimmick. I love these guys, they can fill any of several roles equally well.

2 Eagles
I'm planning on playing pretty aggressively, so I would rather have the redirection than a bolt thrower.

The overall plan is to put the PG front and center, and use the SM to keep the flanks protected. DP and Maneaters on either side, the Reaver noble and lion chariot fill in any gaps.

Suggestions and comments are most welcome, I don't have a whole lot of experience with an aggressive infantry list like this so I appreciate any ideas you have.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2250 HE vs. big three, Brets, and Mortals

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

theviking wrote:Noble, DP kit sans shield, Halberd, reaver bow, mask of the merlord.
Probably make this guy my general, utility build to go with DP or run solo.
This guy can't take Merlord, it's foot only and he can't shoot Reaver Bow if he marches. I'd be tempted to drop him for RBT.

I'd say it's not so much an aggressive infantry list as an aggressive balanced list. I still doubt it is fast enough to get by without RBT. I know it's boring but I would take 2 RBT here, they deal with so many things. The CR monster unit looks powerful but obviously watch out for Stubborn or Unbreakables.