opinions on the list

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Renan

opinions on the list

#1 Post by Renan »

Im doing a 1999 Tournament soon, this is the list im thinking of

Dragonmage, Level 2, Silver Wand, 2 Dispel Scrolls - 435

Caradryan - 175

15 Spearmen - Standard Bearer, Musician - 150

15 Spearmen - Standard Bearer, Musician, Lion Standard - 175

19 Phoenix Guard, Keeper of the Flame, Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner, - 335

10 Swordmasters, Champ, Skeinsilver, Musician, Standard Bearer, - 211

5 Silver Helms, High Helm, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Ellyrion - 170

Lion Chariot - 140

Bolt Thrower - 100

Bolt Thrower - 100

Before anyone chastises me for the Silver Helms, A. I only had enough filler points for them and not Dragon Princes, and B. I dont have Dragon Princes.

As for the Dragonmage, due to the rules of the Capmaign behind this tournament, Im stuck with him.

I also do not have the following

Shadow Warriors, Ellyian Reavers, Sea Guard, Tiranoc Chariot, and Great Eagle,

Edit: If I am able to get ahold of Dragon Princes, I will use this list.

Dragonmage, Level 2 Wizard, Silver Wand, 2 Dispel Scrolls - 435

Caradryan - 175

15 Spearmen - Standard Bearer, Musician, Lion Standard - 175

19 Phoenix Guard, Keeper of the Flame, Gem of Courage, Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner, - 345

12 Swordmasters, Champ, Skeinsilver, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Arcane Protection - 260

6 Dragon Princes, Drakemaster, Musician, Standard Bearer, Ellryian Banner - 245

Lion Chariot - 140

Bolt Thrower - 100

Bolt Thrower - 100

Please give suggestions on which list would be better. I have thought about switching the dispel scrolls for Guardian phoenix as well.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: opinions on the list

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

I think you have enough to play in this list but it could be sharper.
Renan wrote:As for the Dragonmage, due to the rules of the Capmaign behind this tournament, Im stuck with him.
I think at sub 2000 he's good.
Renan wrote:I have thought about switching the dispel scrolls for Guardian phoenix as well.
I wouldn't. You need the magic defence.

The 15-strong Spears are problematic. I know some good players run them but it takes very good play IMHO. One unit with Lion Std could be a goer. The PG are great. Silver Helms can't carry a magic std. If you can get the DP's I'd be tempted to run both for the mobility.

I know you don't have any but I think you really need to add light troops to your army if you can.
mike newman

#3 Post by mike newman »

nah screw the scrolls go with ring of fury and silver wand for the sheer destructive power! at 1999 there isnt a lot of magic offence - no lvl 4's so the dragon mage gives you a huge advantage over the rest of the field :D

the prince list looks better, but obviously dependant on what you can get
[url=http://www.golempaintingstudio.co.uk][img]http://www.golempaintingstudio.co.uk/images/gps-leaderboard-3.jpg[/img][/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Beast Cowers?
orka

#5 Post by orka »

I would:
-make 1 spear unit 20 with Lion Standard, drop the other
-raise the SM to 14

I don't see problems with the DM at 1999, should be fun. 2 Dispel Scrolls or Ring of Fury is just personal preference.
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Bolt Thrower

#6 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I agree with orka on the sword masters. Try to get them to 2 units of 7 (or 1 of 14 if you wish but I prefer the 7's). I don't think sword masters really need the points spent on the command. They win by the sheer kills by themselves. You can give the skeinsilver to the PG Champ.

Scrolls on the dragon mage is a tricky one. I always like to have one for when the opponent is counting on that big spell in a crucial turn but the dragon mage can be just ruthless with the ring of fury to help overwhelm the dispel options of your foe. An interesting twist could be silver wand, scroll and power stone to give him options and a semblance of balance. I've also been tempted to give him the talisman of loec if I'm feeling like using the sword of rhuin--but then he doesn't have the silver wand :(
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

How is the scroll-free DM going to kill things if the opponent auto-selects Beast Cowers and casts it every turn?
geoguswrek

#8 Post by geoguswrek »

At 1999 only one army can auto pick beast cowers, and they'll only have it reliably once, so there is a good chance of stopping it.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Flame of the Asuryan

#9 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

the mage will stomp fireballs down the throat of anyone who speaks with animals...
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
geoguswrek

#10 Post by geoguswrek »

i'd go DM/level 2 with seerstaff/banner of sorcery. really wuite nasty when most opponents will have 3-4 dispel.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

geoguswrek wrote:At 1999 only one army can auto pick beast cowers, and they'll only have it reliably once, so there is a good chance of stopping it.
I count High Elves, Daemons and Vamps. It's even possible that the last two could pick it twice. Not to mention several others who might run 2 lvl2's and take Beasts on both in the hope of at least a 2/3 chance of rolling Cowers and stopping a 435pt Dragon.

As for the dispel on three dice, it's barely more than 50/50 (no +1!), why chance it?

I like your magic phase though. Build some psych protection into any infantry and it's a goer IMHO.
mike newman

#12 Post by mike newman »

they can yes. but its doubtfull at 1999 any army will be magic heavy. its unlikely on tzeentch heralds, if the vamps are cowering they are only lvl 1 so can only throw 2 dice at it vs your 3 dispel and thus are not raising. other high elves are probably you worst problem. i'd be more worried about shooting killing him than magic stopping him. plus as long as he's cowered way away he can still be effective magically.
[url=http://www.golempaintingstudio.co.uk][img]http://www.golempaintingstudio.co.uk/images/gps-leaderboard-3.jpg[/img][/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

I think 2 Lvl2's is quite likely at 1999 and they could be a problem. Most of the TH's I've seen take Master of Sorcery. Fair point about the Vamps. The issue with being Cowered is that it could happen at any point. If you've lined up a juicy opportunity and then get Cowered the enemy is free to charge or shoot you up with impunity.
geoguswrek

#14 Post by geoguswrek »

Fair point on the tzeentch heralds, i'd missed that one, at 1999 tzeentch armies are really really nasty (they take LOTS of horrors, some flamers, hounds and a khorne bsb)
Other than daemons (which you won't beat anyway) the only army with the spell is High elves (VC won't take it). HE are a real threat since wolf hunts is just as likely to kill the mage (charging some DP/chariot into the DM), so you have 2 spells to fret about.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#15 Post by SpellArcher »

geoguswrek wrote:Fair point on the tzeentch heralds, i'd missed that one, at 1999 tzeentch armies are really really nasty (they take LOTS of horrors, some flamers, hounds and a khorne bsb)
Some of the most successful Daemon armies I've seen at 2000pst could almost be run at 1999. Two Tzeentch Heralds is a popular pick and omitting a Greater Daemon means lots more little ones. Of course the ability to double-team any spell in the book is not to be sniffed at.
geoguswrek wrote:the only army with the spell is High elves
The only army guaranteed to get the spell is High Elves. If I had 2 Lvl2's with Beasts or Empire for instance, I'd be very tempted to go double Beasts for the 2-in-3. I guess as the DM player though you factor in that these potential enemies only have 2-in-3 and then your DD and luck might be enough.

If I were more of a gambler I might agree with you and Mike that the odds are worth a punt.
geoguswrek

#16 Post by geoguswrek »

to be honest, the DM is so soft that you don't need beast cowers against it, i'd take death and spam damage spells (at least in my experience of him, this is enough to bring him down, plus the dragons only t5 iirc).

I meant the only army guaranteed to have the spell, inexcusable typo. That said i agree that you have to be more cautious of empire/beastmen/whatever else that can take beasts but its rare that most of these armies take wizards at the 1999 at the moment. (empire without a popemobile tend to be magic light, beastmen with 2 wizards only have 1 gorebull..)
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
orka

#17 Post by orka »

Sun Dragon is T6.
I agree with geoguswrek about the DM's fragility.
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#18 Post by SpellArcher »

Having another look at the SCGT comp today and saw they've even dealt with this one.

No double gifts except Spellbreaker.

Makes a lot of sense when you think what 2xMaster of Sorcery can do in the wrong hands...
pk-ng

#19 Post by pk-ng »

Personal opinion get DM + Level 2 + BoS
DM - RoF Silver Wand
Level 2 - Seerstaff + DS

in a magic phase you shouls reliably cast 3 - 4 spells depending on your BoS roll.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Wildling04

#20 Post by Wildling04 »

SpellArcher wrote:How is the scroll-free DM going to kill things if the opponent auto-selects Beast Cowers and casts it every turn?

Only another high elf can do this right? Then it is 3 dice vs. 3 dice, but I agree as I still like a scroll or two in there. I'd probably go silver want + 2 scrolls. I'd also either bump the spears to 20 or drop them for 10 archers.
Aderyn

#21 Post by Aderyn »

just a question, do you want a cheese army and try to win or do you want a balanced list for fun?
2250p army 2010 results
Massacres: 4
Solid victory: 2
minor losses: 1
Massacred: 1