2250 Shooty/Avoidance

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

uncimark

2250 Shooty/Avoidance

#1 Post by uncimark »

Greetings,
Been a lurker on this site for long enough so thought i'd get posting.

I have been tinkering with a list like the one below & was wondering what you would suggest to make it more competitive.
One thing that I will point out is the squishyness of the prince/noble as they only have a 4+/3+ save respectively. I usually play wood elves so am pretty adept at keeping them out of harms way but i'm open to other builds based around shooting. The rest of the army is designed around avoidance & not really having any high point units (for elves that is). There is the obvious choice of swapping some sms/chariot out for more dps do you think 3 units are required?

Thanks in advance

---------------------------------------------

Prince 318 pts

Dragon Armour
Lance
Shield
Bow of the Seafarer
ROF
Eagle

Noble 195 pts

Dragon Armour
Lance
Enchanted Shield
Reaver Bow
Eagle

L2 Mage 185 pts

Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll
Silver Wand

L2 Mage 185 pts

The Seerstaff of Saphery
Dispel Scroll

11 Archers 121 pts

10 Archers 110 pts

6 Dragon Princes 250 pts
STD - Banner of Sorcery

6 Dragon Princes 215 pts
Champ - Amulet of light

Tiranoc Chariot 85 pts

Lion Chariot 140 pts

7 Sword Masters 105 pts

6 Sword Masters 90 pts

RBT 100 pts

RBT 100 pts

Eagle 50 pts

--------

PD 6 + d3 + 1 bound
DD 4 + 3 scrolls
White_Phoenix

Re: 2250 Shooty/Avoidance

#2 Post by White_Phoenix »

Ok, looks good, a few points -

I would consider swapping prince mount to Griffon. Large target means it can see everything without being LoS blocked, which is a huge bonus for Seafarer bow. get some armor for him - AoC, HoF or GP in the very least.

Mages seem like abit of a waste. You aren't going to get anything through with them at this bracket, so the silverwand and seerstaff and level 2 seems like a waste. i would drop them to level 1 and use Trickster's pendant instead of seerstaff and Gem of Courage on the other mage.

I would definitely, DEFINITELY put a champion with skeinsliver in here.

For this kind of list i would take a SB on the DP and take banner of ellyrion, it is awesome on those guys.

Lacks another Eagle or shadow warriors. you will need lots of redirecting, marchblock and machine hunting.

I would consider take White Lions instead of Sms, those are likely to get butchered by shooting, while your lions can enjoy walking the forests.

Ok, that's about it, good luck :D

WP
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Looks interesting and viable.
White_Phoenix wrote:You aren't going to get anything through with them at this bracket
They will penetrate 6 dice and 2 scrolls. Much more and I agree.
White_Phoenix wrote:I would definitely, DEFINITELY put a champion with skeinsliver in here
I like this idea too.

My concerns would be psychology and your characters getting picked off by mobile shooting. Funny how HE get better bows than WE, no?
Alathenar

#4 Post by Alathenar »

Looks like a really fun list!
I agree with WP thought that WL's would fit better then SM's in this list, and a unit of SW's would be good aswell.
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
uncimark

#5 Post by uncimark »

Thanks for the suggestions, quite a few in there I hadn't considered but can definately see their worth.
Not sure about the trickster's pendant, seems a bit too situational but will give it a try & see what happens.
I have switched the list over to magic defence so have swapped the ROF for HOF. 3+ with re-roll seems the best armour option.
I'll have a look at the Griffon more closely & will post an alternative list, especially if these rumors are true & we get a good sculpt.

http://firstranksecondrank.blogspot.com ... ekend.html

So here is my re-worked version, again any comments welcome.

Cheers.

Prince 309 pts

Dragon Armour
Lance
Shield
Bow of the Seafarer
HOF
Eagle

Noble 195 pts

Dragon Armour
Lance
Enchanted Shield
Reaver Bow
Eagle

L1 Mage 150 pts

Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll
Gem of courage

L1 Mage 150 pts

Tricksters pendant
Dispel Scroll

12 Archers 132 pts

11 Archers 121 pts

Tiranoc Chariot 85 pts

Lion Chariot 140 pts

6 Dragon Princes 215 pts
STD - Banner of Ellyrion

6 Dragon Princes 215 pts
Champ - Amulet of light

6 Shadow Warriors 96 pts

7 White Lions 142 pts
Champ - Skeinsliver

RBT 100 pts

RBT 100 pts

Eagle 50 pts

Eagle 50 pts
-------
orka

#6 Post by orka »

Drop a few archers and a Shadow Warrior, add some White Lions.
Blue
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
dabber
Tactician

#7 Post by dabber »

orka wrote:Drop a few archers and a Shadow Warrior, add some White Lions.
Absolutely. You have 3 archers and 1 shadow warrior that are clearly worthless. In context, I'd say the rest of the Shadow Warriors are not worth having too.
Lord Anathir

#8 Post by Lord Anathir »

I tried something like this once. It worked ok until I played WE and then DE lol. basically I was outshot and the mounted heros had no where safe to land. Playing like wood elves sort of works but we lack the move through forest rule and lateral/skirmish movement that their combat units have to play avoidance. compare wardancers vs swordmasters for example. swords hit slightly harder but they cant hide, thy cant move fast sideways, easier to shoot, not ITP. similarly compare wild riders vs DP. DP have the armor and hiting power advantage but when it comes to mobility and reliance (which is what you want in an avoidance army) the WR have fast cav status, move through forest and ITP. glade guard vs archers again, they've got the bonuses that let them move and fire without penalty and move through terrain. even their magic lore suppors avoidance better then any of the ones available to us.

We can play aviodance ok, but its never going to be better then WE. Its like bretts trying to play with block infantry, warmachines, bowmen and supporting knights like a balanced empire list. it could work but they lack the special rules (like detachments) that make it better then the empire version.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Lord Anathir wrote:skirmish movement
It's true, this lets WE armies do amazing things sometimes.
Aderyn

#10 Post by Aderyn »

i ran a shootylist once against brets i think... lord with seafarer, noble with reaver and some mages with 2x10 archers, 3x9 shadow warriors and 3 bolt throwers. and ofcourse some threatening melee incase he got all the way up to me.

Suprisingly it worked well, but if you face ANYONE with good shooting or if you play with too little terrain, your smoked.
2250p army 2010 results
Massacres: 4
Solid victory: 2
minor losses: 1
Massacred: 1