2250 Tournament list trying for mid tier comp

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Joelatron

2250 Tournament list trying for mid tier comp

#1 Post by Joelatron »

Hey

So got a tournament coming up and I thought I would try this list. Im trying to get a mid tier comp score to have fun games as opposed to games vs DE, VC, DoC on repeat.
Lvl4 355
Folariath’s robe, talisman of saphery, Jewel of dusk
Lvl2 175
Ring of Fury
Bsb 161
Barded warhorse, heavy armour, lance, shield, helm of fortune

20 Spearelves 195
Musician, standard
10 archers 110

6 dragon princes 230
Musician, standard-warbanner
5 Dragon princes 160
m
Chariot 85

15 whitelions 305
Musician, Champ, standard-banner of sorcery
5 silver helms 123
Shields, m
3 RBT 300
Eagle 50

So basically Got the MC hammer lvl4 with 5 power dice + D3 PD and lvl2 with the bound spell. This should give me enough anti regen and magic to have fun.

rest of list is designed for the counter charge.

so any suggestions? I dont want to use a dragon or any of the typical "get bad comp score" stuff.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2250 Tournament list trying for mid tier comp

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Looks pretty sound on the whole.

I think you need scrolls. I also think you need the Silver Wand (and Seerstaff if you can bear to drop the Ring of Fury). I would question the Archmage without improved spell selection but maybe you are going for Fire as you mentioned regen?

I'd recommend a magic standard on the Spears if you can afford it. I like the first DP unit but it may be a bit of a luxury. The White Lions badly need Fear protection, I'd switch Sorcery to the DP's. Rest of the list looks fine.
Joelatron

#3 Post by Joelatron »

well I mentioned regen because of what I expect to come up against ie Hellpit, potentially treeman etc, so that's why have the bound spell. 4 spells on lvl4 means I can use light, life, beasts, metal etc and get most of the useful spells. But I see the benefit of the silver wand on the lvl4-esp since murphy's law means I dont roll cleansing flare/beast cowers etc on 4 dice.-also I see why the seerstaff helps in this respect. However, the bound spell means my magic is more potent + draws out dice (who wants 2d6 s4 attacks coming their way?) which also = easier to get drain magic off = hence why have no scrolls.

So you recommend dropping the "vanilla" DP, putting the sorcery banner on the DP, warbanner on the spearelves and immune to fear/terror banner on the white lions? so end up with something like this:

Lvl4 350
Folariath’s robe, talisman of saphery, silver wand
Lvl2 175
Ring of Fury
Bsb 161
Barded warhorse, heavy armour, lance, shield, helm of fortune

20 Spearelves 215
M, sb-warbanner
10 archers 115
m
6 dragon princes 260
M, SB-banner of sorcery
5 dragon princes 160
M
Chariot 85
Chariot 85
15 whitelions 290
M, C, SB-lion standard
3 RBT 300
Eagle 50

by dropping the silverhelms (dont actually have the models yet-so a $$ saving as well haha) = switch warbanner to spearelves, lion standard onto whitelions, sorcery banner onto DP and add a 2nd chariot for lots of fun :D (2 chariots in the front of unit etc).

+ Put silverwand on lvl4 to get the extra spell as recommended.

looking better and still within mid tier comp?
Angel

#4 Post by Angel »

Looks fine to me, except that I would change the helm on the BSB for a scroll on the L.2 mage.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
geoguswrek

#5 Post by geoguswrek »

Your bsb has forgotten his flamer-proofing... this should be remedied since you have the points spare.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Angel is right.

I reckon you really need at least one scroll. Drain is useful but you can't rely on it getting off as it is a priority dispel for your opponent, particularly early turns when he has scrolls left. Drain complements a scroll or two because when it does go off it reduces the chance of you having to use them.

Otherwise I like the revised list but geo is right about Dragon Armour.
geoguswrek

#7 Post by geoguswrek »

I agree that you need the scroll, disagree on how to get it.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Joelatron

#8 Post by Joelatron »

I very rarely use scrolls + not having them keeps comp score down-esp since this tournament uses comp as a "battlepoints modifier" = hard comp means less comp score, harder opponents and get battle score heavily modified if play a weak comp opponent.

Dragon armour will be added since now have the points. hehe if ever vs demons = bsb solo charge tzeench stuff and watch it weep :D

Most people in the Welly NZ scene dont take lots of magic (esp at lower comp score levels) so scrolls are a luxury as opposed to a necessity + knowing what to dispel beats blanket dispelling and having scrolls just encourages frivolous use of Dispel dice...IMO. Plus I intend to kill mages early if I can.
Joelatron

#9 Post by Joelatron »

ok so changes applied-how about this:

Lvl4 350
Folariath’s robe, talisman of saphery, silver wand
Lvl2 175
Ring of Fury
Bsb 188
Barded warhorse, dragon armour, lance, shield, banner of sorcery

20 Spearelves 215
M, sb-banner arcane protection
10 archers 115
m
6 dragon princes 235
M, SB-warbanner
5 dragon princes 160
M
Chariot 85
Chariot 85
15 whitelions 290
M, C, SB-lion standard
3 RBT 300
Eagle 50

removed re-roll save from BSB-gave dragon armour and banner of sorcery.
Spear elves get MR(2) = put mages there to keep them around
DP get warbanner for proper combat punch

so list has 6 DD + 1 unit with MR(2) and drain magic 9-11 PD + 1 bound.
combat punch is from 2 units of dragon princes and 2 chariots
whitelions engage scary stuff and act as anvil
eagle march blocks and artillery hunts
3 RBT for anti scary stuff, anti artillery, thining ranks
spearelves to put mages in with MR(2) to keep them around
10 archers to take out fast calv
chariots to charge light stuff or combo charge units
bound spell + lores of magic to deal with regen
+ bsb to solo charge tzeentch stuff for fun and re-roll break tests to keep the line.

so I think the list is reasonably balanced and mid tier comp...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah, it's pretty good.

This is a quibble but I think you have 5DD. In general I agree with you about low magic defence, I run 4 dice and a scroll! Ruthlessly sacrificing stuff to the enemy magic phase is par for the course, it's more a question of survival than comfort. I have found though that having just one scroll to deal with that time when the guy rolls 20 on Gateway or whatever is necessary. Maybe it's down to our different gaming environments.
theviking

#11 Post by theviking »

I would prefer to have a halberd on the BSB so if he goes two rounds with something he has St5.

I like to have a unit of DP with the banner of ellyrion. If you can find points to give that unit magical attack it becomes an ideal unit to deal with wraiths and forest spirits.
Joelatron

#12 Post by Joelatron »

My usual environment is "need 7 DD" sort of environment-but at tournaments I want to get into the softer games -hence no scrolls.

Banner if ellyrion, though useful is kinda superseded by the fact that I have whitelions to clear out forests etc.

But amulet of light-going to need to work that in somewhere I think-though with 9-11 power dice + bound spell I have the potential to take out ethereals before they come near me. Again-aiming for lower half of the tournament comp wise-so unlikely to see huge units of wraiths.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
geoguswrek

#13 Post by geoguswrek »

I don't believe there is a "need 7 DD" environment. I managed with 5 DD at the UKGT which is pretty cut throat.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Joelatron

#14 Post by Joelatron »

I usually use empire with 5 bond spells and 2 lvl2 with rod of power (ie 2/3 cleansing flare a turn). My usual opponent is demons (2/3 units of horrors, 2 lvl2 master of sorcery chariot mounted heralds and a GD caster). If i didn't have 7 dispel dice his magic alone would wipe me off the board. Our games are either a draw

death spiral of magic? I'm sure it is, but neither one of us is willing to give the other any slack haha.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#15 Post by SpellArcher »

Looking at the magic I get the feeling that New Zealand comps this a lot less than Europe does.
Joelatron

#16 Post by Joelatron »

yeah Magic isnt really that hard comped-nothing like ETS * shudder * They recently tried hard comp system and no one (well very few people) turned up haha

Biggest complaint tends to be re monsters but every 7th ed army book is more than adequetely prepared to a) bring the monsters and b) deal with the monsters. It's only the 6th ed books that still struggle vs monsters and/or have over priced monsters-esp since beasts have had their update (tombkings, ogres, woodies are good examples of 6th ed books that struggle in the monster environment re: previous mentioned criteria) . But hopefully the organisers will wake up to the fact that WHFB is going to way of a high fantasy game, NOT an historical pitched battle style game.

I tend to get away with taking alot of magic because most people dont-hence why no scrolls. My woodies with 2 mounted lvl2's, 2 scrolls (woodies need them re: magic missiles!), treesinging spam staff and deepwood sphere + TMA can dominate a magic phase quite easily.
tough comp for High elves tends to come from stardragons, lvl4 with 2 lvl2's, min. sized archer units for core, 4 RBT's, lots and lots of dragon princes.

Hence why suggested list takes big block of spear elves, big block of whitelions, no phoenix guard or swordmasters, no dragons, only 3 characters, normal chariots, lots of banners etc