2150 list for tourney

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

davieste

2150 list for tourney

#1 Post by davieste »

I am trying to put together a list for the Club Challenge coming up in May (so need to decide what I need to paint up!) and this was the list I came up with:

Prince on Griffon, Dragon Armour, sh, lance, Seafarer bow, gauntlets of T, Talisman of Loec
Lvl2, Seerstaff, scroll
Lvl2, ring of fury, silver wand

10 archers
20 LSG, FC, warbanner

13 Swordmasters, SB, ch, Banner of Sorcery, (What would be better here - SM, WL or PG?)
5 DP,ch, SB, Lion Banner, amulet of light
Lion Chariot

2 RBT
Eagle

2147 pts. 7-9PD, 1 Bound, 4DD, 1 scroll

Thoughts on the list?
Wildling04

#2 Post by Wildling04 »

1. I'd go one way or the other with your prince, meaning he needs to be a bit more fighty if you put him on a griffon as a griffon is a lot points to have him flying around with a 60 point bow. The prince a bit soft, too. A single lucky round of Str 3 could easily kill him. If you want him to be shooty, I'd put him on foot or a great eagle.

2. The LSG unit is pretty big, which means they're expensive. I'd take 10 LSG, and take either a unit of 20 spears, if you are looking for a static res unit. As it is not all 20 LSG aren't going to get to shoot but they are almost as expensive as 20 PG, which would be a better static res unit.

3. As to your 13 elite models, I'd say that which is best depends on your playstyle, though the unit is a bit small for PG (though they would be the best choice to "protect" the banner). If you need a unit that is going to stick around and hold up the enemy WL are the way to go. SM would be good if you need a unit that is going to produce a lot of attacks. For my style of play, I prefer the SM as I tend to try and get in fights I can win rather than relying on stubborn, though I play both types of lists.
davieste

#3 Post by davieste »

Thanks for the comments:

1 - Yes the prince is a little unprotected and he was originally on an eagle but I decided against it because the eagle is too easy to shoot from under him and the key with the bow is to get flank shots off before charging in the flank (as if people turn and face he can just dance around anyway). An eagle doesn't break ranks either.

With the Talisman I think he is fighty enough for a round where needed but he wont be in combat till turn 4 or 5 so it's less of an issue. I think on foot with the bow is a bit of a waste of points.

2 - I like the versatility of LSG and I know what you are saying - a block of 20 spears with warbenner is fine for static res - but my other army is TK and I like my blocks of 20 bowmen. LSG is an expensive but better version and want to try it out.

3 - My thoughts too - would rather get active CR with such a small unit than try and rely on stubborn or even on the 4+ ward of PG.
garythewargamer

comment

#4 Post by garythewargamer »

I like the prince on the griffon but he is under protected. You have a lot of points tied up here. Waiting to get into combat on turn 4 and 5 mean that he may not make up the points. I am a new player around six months therefore my comment or advice might be questionable. My daughter started out with Grim on the griffon and that worked well.

The rest of your list looks solid. I believe your special infantry choices is a matter of personnel choice and play style

Please keep us informed about how this list does.
davieste

#5 Post by davieste »

Am not too bothered about him making up his points - if he helps control the battlefield then he has done his job. Been thinking about the armies he might face:

Demons: Not too much of a problem here, immune to flamer attacks so should be able to pick his fights.
VC: Again, no shooting so just need to be wary of magic and wraiths
DE: Careful the first few turns, depending on the build but hopefully once the shooting has been reduced can come out to play.
Lizards: See above, can hang back more and take pot shots at the stegs, maybe even charge them to the front with the talisman in play.
Dwarfs: Big problem there, especially with an anvil
Beasts: No real issues there
WoC: No real shooting again so only magic to be wary of. Excellent for flanking knight shots
Empire: Same comments as DE - depending on the build.
Brettonians: Less shooting depending on the build, should be able to pick fights here too (and get flank shots off)

I am hoping clever play will reduce the need for protection as at the end of the day, it is a t5 W4 monster with no armour...

Anyone had good results with a Griffon?
davieste

#6 Post by davieste »

I have tweaked the list a bit and come up with this one - dropped some magic but added in some better static CR:

Prince on Griffon, seafarer bow set up
Lvl2, 2 scrolls, silver wand

10 archers, banner (for objective/table quarters must have a banner)
20 LSG, FC, warbanner

Tiranoc Chariot
Lion Chariot
20 PG, SB, Banner of Sorc
5 DP, SB, Ch, Lion Banner, amulet of light

2 RBT
eagle.
3DD, 2 scrolls, 5-7PD

Weaker on the magic defence and the magic offence is not as good but it does mean I can have a big PG unit help with attrition combats. And the immunity to fear is always good against demons etc.

Thoughts?
garythewargamer

comments

#7 Post by garythewargamer »

Is that correct, that to claim table quarters you must have a banner? I thought it only had to have a unit strenght of five.

Banners on archers is just crying out for you enemy to come and get that 100 points.

Okay I just looked it up and nowhere does it say that there must be a banner. It just says that your unit str must be 5 and no enemy units that are not running be present. Or something like that. Hey it is early and I am only on my first cup of coffee.
davieste

#8 Post by davieste »

To contest/claim objectives the unit must be US5 with a banner. Table quarters are objectives in this. Also it is only ever 100pts for most banners, not per banner.
dabber
Tactician

#9 Post by dabber »

With character slots open, there is no reason to take a Griffon. 30 points to get the baby dragon is hugely worthwhile for the extra Toughness and Wound. The baby dragon probably isn't worth the hero slot, but when you aren't using the slot, its a lot better than a Griffon.
davieste

#10 Post by davieste »

Yes, am starting to think that way too. Can drop a couple of PG for the extra points to upgrade to the Dragon.
dabber
Tactician

#11 Post by dabber »

I would chuck some "sea gimps" before dropping Phoenix Guard.