do the elves have a mythology?

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Raithial

do the elves have a mythology?

#1 Post by Raithial »

It seems almost conspicuous, the entire lack of a a mythology underlying the elves...
What stories do mothers tell their children when they go to bed? what stories of hope and victory do the elven fathers tell their sons when they hold a spear for the first time? or a bow?
We have gods, we have a history, but do we, as elves, have myth? Stories about Asuryan walking amongst the elves, and why Kournos is revered as the hunter? Stories that relate the feelings of Issha and why Lileath became godess of forgiveness? Because I cannot find them. All our armybook and the current novels I've read tell the tales of the elves themselves as history, rather than myth.
If anyone knows where to find the elven myths, please point me there :3
[img]http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh480/Dernaile/oacau0ek.jpg[/img]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: do the elves have a mythology?

#2 Post by Elithmar »

It depends whether you believe all of the history we are told. :P I don't know apart from that.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#3 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

They have the gods, and an origin myth(The Old Ones), these both count as mythology to us, but because of their long lives it's probably still fresh in their memories ^_^
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#4 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

I believe it's the whole idea that religion turned into myth over time, and reality and science was discovered/uncovered.
But as the Elven Gods are actually real, and play a part in the world and heroes from time to time, the history is what you're calling myth, even though it's not actually myth, as it's truth and reality (to the Elves as a fictitious specie etc...

I know they have tales and stories of dark days and heroic victories and times in their history that they tell around the campfire and to their young as bedtime stories, perhaps some have been given a Chinese whispers effect over the centuries and millennia of telling after telling through their generations.
So in a way they would have fables..
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think it's mainly a definition thing.

If you define mythology as a bunch of made up stories set a long time ago about things we can't (couldn't) explain and about the rules of behavior, (which is roughly what the definition today is) then the elves don't have them. The elves know what happened, their gods are real, it happened only something like 8 - 10 generations ago. And that in a people who have strong ties in tradition and believe in the past and written records for most of the way. And while they have suffered from war over the years, some places of knowledge have been in elven hands for pretty much ever. So little chance of records getting lost.

With the 8-10 generations in mind, you should see it as something that happened 250 -300 years ago in our world. Not as something that happened at the time of the ancient greeks. We have a pretty good idea of what happened in the 18th century for instance.

If you define mythology as the set of tales that describes the origin of the world and the relationship of the gods and their functions, then the HE definatly have them. We don't see (all) of them, since the part of the HE we run into is the fighting part. But just look in the army book at how we have items related to the different gods. You can be sure that there will be stories related to these items and the gods defining them.

And, anything that happened before the departure of the old ones will have myths related to them. Since most of what happened then is clouded in mystery. Even the Slann aren't always clear of what was going on and what the old ones intended.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#6 Post by Aicanor »

They definitely have stories about gods and their doings in ancient times. From what I read, most of these stories include Vaul helping some other god and being mistreated by Khaine - you can't make a mistake there. :mrgreen:
Raithial

#7 Post by Raithial »

so far, people have voted that we do have a myth, but can you póínt to it? Can you show me the page and paragraph where to read? because I might be overlooking a whole new depth to the elves?

but with the definition of "myth" for the elves, that would mean tales where the Old Ones interact and the gods interact amongst themselves, as well as the elves.
[img]http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh480/Dernaile/oacau0ek.jpg[/img]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#8 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

For in depth stuff, you'll need to get a hold of the old Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying stuff.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#9 Post by Aicanor »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:For in depth stuff, you'll need to get a hold of the old Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying stuff.
I would very much like to, but it is difficult... :cry:
Raithial: Try Shadow King p. 283 (moonbow). The story of Sword of Khaine is known well enough. That is myth, no one really knows how it came to be. :mrgreen:
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#10 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Aicanor wrote:
Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:For in depth stuff, you'll need to get a hold of the old Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying stuff.
I would very much like to, but it is difficult... :cry:
Raithial: Try Shadow King p. 283 (moonbow). The story of Sword of Khaine is known well enough. That is myth, no one really knows how it came to be. :mrgreen:
I could quote the Moonbow "tale" here as I have the digital copy of the book.
But could you tell me the chapter and how far in etc the section is please Aicanor..?
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#11 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Didn't she give a page number?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#12 Post by Aicanor »

Chapter nineteen: Child of the Wolf and the Moon, starting with In the age before the elves the gods were as one with the world and the heavens.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#13 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Didn't she give a page number?
Yes, but the digital copy is some 1500 pages.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#14 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Aicanor wrote:Chapter nineteen: Child of the Wolf and the Moon, starting with In the age before the elves the gods were as one with the world and the heavens.
Thanks for that :3

Just when I found it and highlighted it, the only option is "speak" no copy... #-o
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

Asurion Whitestar wrote:Just when I found it and highlighted it, the only option is "speak" no copy... #-o
highlight

Ctrl + c

?

Works almost everywhere...

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#16 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

rdghuizing wrote:
Asurion Whitestar wrote:Just when I found it and highlighted it, the only option is "speak" no copy... #-o
highlight

Ctrl + c

?

Works almost everywhere...

Rod
Except on an iPhone, where there is no inherent keyboard...
3:
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#17 Post by Prince of Spires »

Asurion Whitestar wrote: Except on an iPhone, where there is no inherent keyboard...
3:
You youngsters with your new technology.

What's wrong with a good old windows pc? :p

Rod

Check out my plog

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#18 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Page 607 for those with all three books in one, a nice story, and it certainly gave off the myth flavour.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#19 Post by Aicanor »

Shadow King wrote:In the age before the elves the gods were as one with the world and the heavens. They played and schemed and fought with one another. And loved. Greatest of the godly lovers were Kurnous the Hunter and Lileath of the Moon.
For eternity Kurnous wooed Lileath but the two of them could never meet, for Kurnous dwelt in the endless forests of the world and the Moon Goddess haunted the skies. To show Kurnous that his love was not unrequited, Lileath petitioned Vaul the Smith to create a gift for the Hunter. She poured her love and her soul into that gift and bade Vaul to take it to Kurnous as a token of her affection. Khaine the Warrior, ever jealous of Kurnous and Lileath’s love, intercepted Vaul as he returned from the moon. He demanded that Vaul give him the gift that Lileath had commissioned.
Vaul refused, telling Khaine that it was not for him. At this Khaine grew very angry and threatened to torture the crippled Smith if he did not give him Lileath’s gift. Vaul refused again and instead passed the gift to Isha to hide it from Khaine. Isha, Mother of the World, proclaimed that none save for Kurnous would ever find the token of Lileath’s love. Shedding a tear, she cast the gift down from the heavens to the world. Vaul suffered greatly at the hands of Khaine for his defiance, but the Smith-God did not know where the gift was hidden.
When Khaine released him, Vaul told Kurnous of what had happened. Kurnous was the God of the Hunt and there was nothing he could not find, but the gift of Lileath eluded him. Every month she looked down upon the world and stared at her gift, so that Kurnous might follow her gaze. Yet the Hunter never found it before the elves came and the gods were forced to dwell evermore in the heavens. So it was that Kurnous and Lileath would remain apart for eternity and Kurnous’s children would howl their love for Lileath every full moon.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#20 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

@ Aicanor.
Thank you Milady. :3

I was going to type it out myself on the weekend, when I have time, and patience..
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Aicanor
Rainbows

#21 Post by Aicanor »

:D
Asurion Whitestar wrote:@ Aicanor.
Thank you Milady. :3
I was going to type it out myself on the weekend, when I have time, and patience..
I used the magic Rod suggested. I just needed to get the text to the right device. :D
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#22 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I was not going to type it out, I did do a quick search on scribd but didn't find anything ^_^