Q's on Finubar, Lothern and Heraldry

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Q's on Finubar, Lothern and Heraldry

#1 Post by Ferny »

Hi guys,

I'm writing up some fluff pre-tournament. Can anyone answer any of the following questions:

1. Is there any known family for Finubar?
2. Are the commanders of the Glittering Tower/Emerald Gate named anywhere?
3. What are the heraldic colours of Lothern?

That's it for now...
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Francis

Re: Q's on Finubar, Lothern and Heraldry

#2 Post by Francis »

Finubar has two sons that are both presumed dead (see dreadfleet), and a daugther that is in the process of being rescued by Tyrion and Teclis from Mannfred Von Carstein(thanks to the worst fluff writing Phill Kelly ever did). The commanders of Lothern is not known besides Korhil and Finubar himself. The colours of Lothern are the same as those of the seaguard, red (the seadragon on the crest), white and blue. The colours of Eatainne are red and yellow.
Last edited by Francis on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#3 Post by Ferny »

Perfect, thanks - looks like I'm not going against any fluff yet. I think I need to demote the 'power level' of my characters - I was just taking what I could find from named places. Any ideas if there's a more detailed/fan map of Ulthuan/Lothern out there anywhere?

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#4 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Get the Heraldry book mate, it's awesome~
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Francis

#5 Post by Francis »

But a tad on the expensive side for what you get I think.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#6 Post by Ferny »

I watched a youtube video of someone 'unbooking' it - whilst it looks nice enough, it's pretty repetitive - archer and spearman with slightly different colour schemes throughout...if I find it cheap anywhere I'll snap it up but I'm not gonna pay much for what is a fairly unimaginative book IMO.

draxynnic

#7 Post by draxynnic »

That's kinda the point of it, though - it shows the archers and spearmen of each of the kingdoms, the gates, and a couple of the overseas holdings, as well as the various elite units (including the distinction between WLs that directly protect Finubar - who wear Finubar's colours, being the white and blue we saw them with in 6E and 7E - and the others that wear the Chracian red).

There is a lot of good fluff in there - there may not be a lot of text in there at first glance, but they made good use of what they did put in, and there's stuff in there I haven't seen anywhere else on Ulthuan history and culture beyond just pretty pictures. I would agree that it is a lot of money for a relatively small amount of book, though, even by GWAus standards.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#8 Post by Aicanor »

There are also lots of new runes and runes for gods. It is expensive, but for once I don't regret I bought it. It'll probably never come out of fashion. :mrgreen:
Baleanoon

#9 Post by Baleanoon »

Aicanor wrote:There are also lots of new runes and runes for gods. It is expensive, but for once I don't regret I bought it. It'll probably never come out of fashion. :mrgreen:
I agree glad they released it, using it quite extensively currently. also has some new fluff on famous regiments from all over the island.
I saw Karaz-a-Karak...and then I burned it to the ground.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.
Red Geist

#10 Post by Red Geist »

Lothern itself is the capital of Eataine. Eataine uses red and gold for colors, while Lothern itself uses Sea Guard colors. Now I imagine from all the poorly written BL books that Lothern is a Game of Thrones like setting only 1000000000x cleaner and prettier. So imagine many manors within the city are occupied by nobles and lords from other lands, so don't be surprised if colors from other provinces of Ulthuan show up in the city. It's the gateway to the outside world and the other races, any elf interested in a decent profit or collecting antiquities will be there.
draxynnic

#11 Post by draxynnic »

A little late to the party, but since it was mentioned that Lothern's emblem is the sea dragon, Eataine's is the phoenix - which is why Eataine's colours are red and yellow.