Lore/Fluff behind the High Elf shield's Star?

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Nic5933

Lore/Fluff behind the High Elf shield's Star?

#1 Post by Nic5933 »

Hey All!

I'm pretty new to the hobby, and have been deep diving the lore of the Asur and trying to collect what mini's I can. The High Elf Spearmen unit comes with a shield that has a big Star on it, which also can be seen in Warhammer Total War and the High Elf Banner. Does anyone know what that represents? I asked around on Reddit but no one seemed to have a solid answer. I guess a follow up question, is what is your own personal lore to represent that star? I've heard it called the North Star, but I'm not entirely sure what the symbolism is. Thanks! :D
Aerendar Valandil

Re: Lore/Fluff behind the High Elf shield's Star?

#2 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Elvas are often associated with moons, the sky and stars. I have always associated them with Elbereth, from another universe...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think I agree with Aerendar's assesment. (High) Elves are generally associated with purety, and the night's sky. Which makes Stars a clear option for heraldry. Also it's a "look at my lovely gem" kind of thing. And gems is one of those things HE have plenty of.

I did a quick search through 4 editions of HE army books, as well as the HE uniforms and heraldry book. And in those I've found exactly 1 reference to something to do with the star as an emblem:

Make of that what you will. (Tethlis the Slayer is one of the early Phoenix Kings...).

Everywhere else, the star just isn't referenced. It's just background filler.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Nic5933

#4 Post by Nic5933 »

Aerendar Valandil wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:22 pm Elvas are often associated with moons, the sky and stars. I have always associated them with Elbereth, from another universe...
Ah this makes sense! So the Star represents the Elves not just in this universe, but all. Thank you!
Nic5933

#5 Post by Nic5933 »

Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:41 pm I think I agree with Aerendar's assesment. (High) Elves are generally associated with purety, and the night's sky. Which makes Stars a clear option for heraldry. Also it's a "look at my lovely gem" kind of thing. And gems is one of those things HE have plenty of.

I did a quick search through 4 editions of HE army books, as well as the HE uniforms and heraldry book. And in those I've found exactly 1 reference to something to do with the star as an emblem:

Make of that what you will. (Tethlis the Slayer is one of the early Phoenix Kings...).

Everywhere else, the star just isn't referenced. It's just background filler.
Thank you! Could just be a common symbol of the Asur in general, or a common symbol maybe minor Nobles use. Ive heard it called the "North Star", with reference to the Chaos Wastes in the North and the Asur standing against them. The lore for my force is a High Elf expedition resettling one of the old ruined colonies in Bretonnia, perhaps the star is the symbol of the ancient city? Cheers my friend!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Nic5933 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:14 amHey All!
Welcome Nic.

:)
Nic5933 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:14 am The High Elf Spearmen unit comes with a shield that has a big Star on it
This seems to have arrived in a big way with the 4th Edition range (early 90's), especially the plastics that came in the boxed set. Somewhere I have the old Jes Goodwin sketchbook which is full of the concepts for that range. I'd go so far as to say those have been the foundation of most of what has come since. While he developed styles and symbols (crescent moons for example) from his mid-80's range, I don't recall that star.

Where it does ring a bell for me is with the old Tom Meier Ral Partha elves from the early 80's, especially the shields. I think Aerendar's point comes in here because those have a Tolkien vibe and arguably were influenced by his drawings.