Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:16 am
Posts: 982
Location: Pendragon
Is Alith Anar still alive? The 7th edition army book says that he is more of a legendary figure who disaperred. Some years ago in a March issue of White Dwarf there was a story about Eltharion and a DE assasin that had Alith Anar as a living breathing elf. Seeing as the 7th edition army book doesn't mention Eltharion becoming a Swordmaster after he is blinded maybe this story is not considered offical or canon? I was just wondering wheter Alith was Alive in the current fantasy setting.

_________________
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
Image Image ImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:56 pm
Posts: 2006
Possibilities:

1. He's alive, and has been for the past five millenia

2. He's not actually alive, but has been transformed into a spirit of vengeance

3. His name gets passed on like a title to a succession of capable elves (rather like Zorro)

4. He's the Fantasy equivalent to a Phoenix Lord

_________________
Image
Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander
Crowbot_Jenny
Sunrise
avatar
The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5

But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing: Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:22 pm 
Offline
Giantslayer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:16 pm
Posts: 1805
Location: Somewhere dark and scary (Hull)
Musashi pretty much got them all...

I, personally, think he's still alive - and will be till Malekiths dead :)

_________________
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:16 am
Posts: 982
Location: Pendragon
Thanks for the replies. So GW does not definately confirm or deny wheter he is alive/spirit/succesors/dead but has left it rather vague.

_________________
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
Image Image ImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:09 am 
Offline
Auctoritas Principis
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Posts: 1726
cidracin wrote:
Thanks for the replies. So GW does not definately confirm or deny wheter he is alive/spirit/succesors/dead but has left it rather vague.

It's confirmed that "Alith Anar" is 1) alive during the Sundering and 2) is alive now.

What isn't confirmed is the exact how and why of it.

_________________
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:51 am
Posts: 32
Location: Tor Anrok (Southern CA)
I'm pretty sure the fact that he's still alive is basically that he's just too damn stubborn to die before Malekith does.

_________________
Lord Noradil Telrunya, Cult of Asuryan
Image[ImageImageImage
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:45 am
Posts: 736
Musashi wrote:
Possibilities:

4. He's the Fantasy equivalent to a Phoenix Lord


Goddamn I want this one to be true, I really really really want leaders for each of the "aspects". I love it in the Eldar force and a champ for the elite forces, weither you need to build it like a greater daemon or herald or it gets given to you would be amazing!

Ahem, I seem to have gone off the subject.

Either way I'd say he's alive, he's pretty strong and still carries the moonbow, most of the time the armour or weapons arnt directly handed down in elf culture, seems like they skip a lot of generations and land in the hands of a lucky individual. Being less of a warrior than Tyrion only by a hair seems about right too. That and having an amazing eye that can hit a druchii between the eyes from a couple miles away ;p

Im really inclined to say he's alive and the one in the book is him.

_________________
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:44 pm
Posts: 12
Hopefully, yes. Alith Anar is (fluffwise) one of the badassest figures in Warhammer Fantasy. He is the ultimate assassin, striking without fear or remorse; I mean he danced with frakking Morathi before LOL-stealing her prized gem! To top it off, he tricked his pursuers into drinking poison-laced-blood, presumably while revving a chainsaw labeled "Juice Dispenser." :twisted:

I wish his in-game rules had been more powerful, though. I don't understand this whole stigma that GW has against "good guys" being obscenely powerful. Seriously, Alith Anar's rules should be so ridiculously awesome that simply fielding him would result in your victory.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:02 pm
Posts: 218
Location: that place between darkness and light
That'd be getting the best of both worlds. No, the good guys get ridiculous background and the bad guys get ridiculous rules =D

_________________
السلام عليكم


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:50 pm
Posts: 1393
Location: Tor Skylla, Saraeluii Mountains
Oh, I don't know... I think he's pretty damn good as he is, he's just not meant to stand up to Chaos Lords directly. Being able to set up a bolt thrower that scouts and can't be caught easily when it flees is pretty great to me.

I don't see a lot of lists for him, but I think that has more to do with the conception people have that it's always supremely dangerous to make a Lord scout, even though you don't even need to field him like that.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:58 am
Posts: 45
Location: Phoenix Shrine
I think Alith Anar still live because the Stone of Midnight he stole from Morathi. The stone probably an enchanted magical stone artifact considering it's originally belong Aenarion the original Phoenix King. Considering how much Morathi desiring it back from the offering she shall give to everyone who's returning it to her, the gift of eternal youth and night off debauchery with her finest and beautiful witch elf. The stone mean more than those offering to her it's is impossible that stone precious to her because it's just remainder her about Aenarion love to her. Aenarion can't be the only man she's in love with nor the best.

Consider this:
the stone even give Alith Anar 4+ Ward Save in the game. The stone give protection to whoever possessed it. It's maybe the key to wield Flame of Asuryan freely.

Aenarion is a stranger even for an Elf in the beginning. He maybe come from even the Old one special stock. He maybe bought some special artifacts with him one of the is Stone of Midnight.

The other guess is this:
Alith Anar is around Nagaroth for sometime and steal a lot of thing maybe also some elixir of life.

_________________
The Fire of Asuryan protect me


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:09 am
Posts: 405
Location: Being held hostage by the Asur.org inquisition.
My assumption has always been that elves are physiologically immortal, as far as age is concerned. They simply die when they grow tired of all the horrors, violence, or they simply are content enough to pass away at a certain point in life. I think that people like Alith Anar and Malekith who are driven with such a terrible rage don't ever get tired of those things. They're too focused to notice them. Insubstantiated, but it is my theory.

_________________
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:58 am
Posts: 45
Location: Phoenix Shrine
lathian wrote:
My assumption has always been that elves are physiologically immortal, as far as age is concerned. They simply die when they grow tired of all the horrors, violence, or they simply are content enough to pass away at a certain point in life. I think that people like Alith Anar and Malekith who are driven with such a terrible rage don't ever get tired of those things. They're too focused to notice them. Insubstantiated, but it is my theory.


If you say is correct and if I was an elf, i won't tired and will live forever

_________________
The Fire of Asuryan protect me


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:56 pm
Posts: 2006
Human and Elven psychology apparently differ -age isn't that apparent where most fatalities are by mishap, and GW would certainly want to differentiate themselves from Tolkien, but apparently haven't, since Elven souls can be summoned back from the Halls of the Dead, though it requires both a strong willed individual and a pressing need.

_________________
Image
Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander
Crowbot_Jenny
Sunrise
avatar
The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5

But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing: Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:09 pm
Posts: 12
Location: Executing commanders and sargents for retreating.
I always thought of it as the pirate from princess bride. The name just gets passed on, but they have to be worthy of the title.

_________________
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate." Zapp Branigan
"In the game of chess you can never let your opponent see your pieces" Zapp Branigan


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 am
Posts: 804
I believe he is alive because his badassery seems too awesome to be multiple elves. It takes a certain amount of gusto to be Alith Anar. In fluff that is.

_________________
The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.
Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 pm
Posts: 25
I think it's likely he is alive - it's just that GW have made it clear that he is a maverick - he doesn't answer to anyone, not even the Phoenix Kings can get hold of him.

Ben.

_________________
bismarck

When playing an enemy that has no honor, you'll sometimes have to get rid of your own too to ensure a victory.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:28 am
Posts: 286
Location: Australia
lathian wrote:
My assumption has always been that elves are physiologically immortal, as far as age is concerned. They simply die when they grow tired of all the horrors, violence, or they simply are content enough to pass away at a certain point in life. I think that people like Alith Anar and Malekith who are driven with such a terrible rage don't ever get tired of those things. They're too focused to notice them. Insubstantiated, but it is my theory.

I tend to share the same assumption.

Those few Elves we know to have lived far longer than what would be considered normal (for Elves :wink: ) tend to be those that are excessively, obsessively driven. Malekith, Morathi, Alith Anar - these seem to be Elves who have a great ambition to accomplish something and just refuse to let go until they achieve satisfaction.

Those few Elves that we know to have died of "Old Age" seem to be those who are ready to die. Caradryal, Bel-Hathor - these seem to be generally quiet, practical, unassuming Elves not known for possessing a significant driving ambition. They both seem to have accomplished what they felt they needed to do in the role of Phoenix King and then passed from the world peacefully at a convenient time.

kourosh wrote:
If you say is correct and if I was an elf, i won't tired and will live forever

Easy to say, but I imagine after a couple of thousand years (20-30 entire lifetimes for us) it would be hard to maintain enthusiasm for life. You've seen everything you wanted to see, done everything you wanted to do, seen family and friends live out their lifetimes and been around long enough to see them then each pass from the world in turn. Throw in a very stagnant lifestyle where very little ever changes (even Druchii raids/invasions seem to be centuries to millenia apart), and you really have to wonder what keeps Elves going after the first 500 years (let alone the 2-2.5k avergae lifespan that was worked out once upon a time here).

Just a thought...

EDIT - Didn't realise this thread had been ressurrected from many months ago.

_________________
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:16 am
Posts: 982
Location: Pendragon
Dargon wrote:
EDIT - Didn't realise this thread had been ressurrected from many months ago.


You made some good points though :D

_________________
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
Image Image ImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:39 am 
Offline
Auctoritas Principis
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Posts: 1726
Dargon wrote:
EDIT - Didn't realise this thread had been ressurrected from many months ago.

Resurrection is permissible in this particular forum, provided that it inspires new discussion and the like.

_________________
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:59 pm
Posts: 38
this is a very interesting topic- someone even suggested that Alith Anar has something in him of the old Elves, something of the power of Caledor and Aenarion and the first that were created by the old ones. It is certain that he is a very special character...his moonbow was given to him by the goddess Lileath they say...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:22 am
Posts: 542
Dargon wrote:
lathian wrote:
My assumption has always been that elves are physiologically immortal, as far as age is concerned. They simply die when they grow tired of all the horrors, violence, or they simply are content enough to pass away at a certain point in life. I think that people like Alith Anar and Malekith who are driven with such a terrible rage don't ever get tired of those things. They're too focused to notice them. Insubstantiated, but it is my theory.

I tend to share the same assumption.

Those few Elves we know to have lived far longer than what would be considered normal (for Elves :wink: ) tend to be those that are excessively, obsessively driven. Malekith, Morathi, Alith Anar - these seem to be Elves who have a great ambition to accomplish something and just refuse to let go until they achieve satisfaction.

Those few Elves that we know to have died of "Old Age" seem to be those who are ready to die. Caradryal, Bel-Hathor - these seem to be generally quiet, practical, unassuming Elves not known for possessing a significant driving ambition. They both seem to have accomplished what they felt they needed to do in the role of Phoenix King and then passed from the world peacefully at a convenient time.
I've come across that theory myself - in fact, I have a vague memory of there being something official that suggests it (something about Isha being told that the Elves would eventually grow tired of the world and die - could be interpreted as a poetic way of describing dying of old age, but it may well be something different).

Mind you, this does present the amusing idea of Malekith finally achieving his ambition of conquering Ulthuan...only to die within the year (okay, decade) because the driving force is gone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 am 
Offline
Pendragon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:52 am
Posts: 1512
Location: Cold, miserable and expensive Finland
Don't Malekith, Morathi and thatoneelfwhosenameescapesme live forever 'cause they ate some shiny apple or some such?

_________________
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:09 am
Posts: 405
Location: Being held hostage by the Asur.org inquisition.
Outdated/fanon/bad source on that one. Can't remember which.

_________________
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm 
Offline
Giantslayer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:16 pm
Posts: 1805
Location: Somewhere dark and scary (Hull)
lathian wrote:
Outdated/fanon/bad source on that one. Can't remember which.


I know Eldacar has referenced it at some point, so I would assume it's still valid.

_________________
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:07 pm
Posts: 564
Location: Caledor (Scotland)
Luna Guardian wrote:
Don't Malekith, Morathi and thatoneelfwhosenameescapesme live forever 'cause they ate some shiny apple or some such?


Calarions tale iirc.

_________________
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 am 
Offline
Auctoritas Principis
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Posts: 1726
Prince_Asuryan wrote:
lathian wrote:
Outdated/fanon/bad source on that one. Can't remember which.


I know Eldacar has referenced it at some point, so I would assume it's still valid.

It's from 6th edition, written from the perspective of Furion. Whether it's literally true or not is more vague - GW seems to have moved away from the idea and more into it being metaphorical, since we already knew that magic can extend your lifespan. It isn't straight fanon, though, and there aren't many references elsewhere dealing with why Malekith has the lifespan that he does.

_________________
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:58 am
Posts: 45
Location: Phoenix Shrine
I guess being Bad ass is giving more thrill in life so live seem a little more interesting ^^

_________________
The Fire of Asuryan protect me


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 5:14 pm
Posts: 235
Location: oxfordshire, albion
I'm pretty sure he's alive and he's the one who saved Tyrion at the battle of Tor Dranial. I mean lone and regal fit, the glimmer of silver sounds like the shadow crown and the singing bow has got to be the Moonbow.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:59 am
Posts: 322
Location: Cincinnati OH, USA
I like the Zorro theory best.

I also tend to think Elven Longevity has more to do with the individual at hand rather than any racial capability. Some of these guys are just too magical / gifted to die easy.

_________________
Check out my blog!
http://redcrusaderbattlereports.wordpress.com/

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group