Do You Name Your Units

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Lady Phoenix

Do You Name Your Units

#1 Post by Lady Phoenix »

Im having a bit of a play at the moment with, what I think you call, fluff.

Basically Im writing a book(let) all about my army, with character background, pictures of the models etc etc

So, here is where Im stuck

For my units, Im thinking of splitting them down into firstly what unit they are (spearmen, archers, reaver etc etc) and then naming them in a way that I can use them "as is" or combine to make bigger units.

For example,

Saphery Archers 1st Squadron and Saphery Archers 2nd Squadron, each containing 10 models could be combined to make a bigger unit of 20 models.

Now, my naming strategy.

Im giving them a 2 part name.

Part 1 - Where they originate from, so the example above hails from Saphery, so they will be painted according to my main uniform code with details in dark blue. If they hail from Celador they will have details in red etc etc
Part 2 - Squadron. This represents the larger group. I had thought about calling it a battalion and then squadron but in all fairness by firstly naming them by their area there is no need to go to battalion, as the area is the battalion.

Now, Im aware that the possibility exists that certain areas just wouldnt have certain units (or would they), (Could you have Tironic Chariot from Avelorn?) so each "battalion" will have a slightly different feel about it, or so I would hope.

I also hope to have some "Free men" units, these being units that are either converted from other races units (I plan on having a High Elf Archer unit consisting of Wood Elf archers) or so heavily converted that they no longer fit into a certain "battalion". Of course there will also be models that I want to put into the Free Men Battalion just simply because of the story line Ive created for them

So, what Id like to know is

- Do you name your units, or is that taking it a little too far and I probably need to get out more and get a life?
- If you name them, how do you name them. I choose to name mine so that I didnt have to call them Archers 1, Spearmen 3, Prince 2. But is calling them, 1st Squaron Yvresse Archers a proper unit name? How would High Elves name their units?
- So, leading on from point two, perhaps the units should be names after their champion, so for example, my first archers should be called, "Saphery Archers - Eluch Division"

EDIT - COuld a moderator kindly move this to Elf Culture, as I now know Ive put it in the wrong forum :(
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

http://www.ladyphoenix.co.uk

Gliitering Host of Nápoldë Melwasúl
Under Construction
SteVieBizzLe

Re: Do You Name Your Units

#2 Post by SteVieBizzLe »

I don't name my units per se but I have been known to overtly proclaim a noble name for my units/characters upon completion of heroic deeds.

The use of terms like 'Squadron', 'Division' and 'Battalion' I would avoid though, they sound too much like modern military terms to 'fit' in the fantasy setting, maybe for The Empire, but doesn't feel right for Elves. But that is just my opinion of course.

I would aim to name units and characters around 3 things: their location of origin, a heroic historic act from that location or township and fictional heroic acts.

For example I like to call my shadow warriors 'The Scourge of Naggarythe' as I like to think they are an elite unit that have been terrorising Dark Elf patrols. Warhammer Fantasy likes to push its narrative, go with that and use it. Read all the back stories in the HE army book, there are tons of vague mentions of places and people that can be used to theme an army or unit.

Hope that helps.
Lady Phoenix

#3 Post by Lady Phoenix »

SteVieBizzLe wrote:I don't name my units per se but I have been known to overtly proclaim a noble name for my units/characters upon completion of heroic deeds.

The use of terms like 'Squadron', 'Division' and 'Battalion' I would avoid though, they sound too much like modern military terms to 'fit' in the fantasy setting, maybe for The Empire, but doesn't feel right for Elves. But that is just my opinion of course.

I would aim to name units and characters around 3 things: their location of origin, a heroic historic act from that location or township and fictional heroic acts.

For example I like to call my shadow warriors 'The Scourge of Naggarythe' as I like to think they are an elite unit that have been terrorising Dark Elf patrols. Warhammer Fantasy likes to push its narrative, go with that and use it. Read all the back stories in the HE army book, there are tons of vague mentions of places and people that can be used to theme an army or unit.

Hope that helps.
So, 3 good examples would be

Saphery Archers
Like you say Scorrge of Naggarythe
Dragon Slayers
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

Under Construction
Makiwara
Chronicler

#4 Post by Makiwara »

With my original high elf army I didn't name anything aside from my characters but when I got back in to the hobby I was heavily influenced by Grey's army plog from this board and JackDaw's High House of Chains plog from warseer. Both guys have full back stories for all their unit's, kitbashes, conversions, etc. So I've gone a similar route with my new Wood Elf army, every unit has a back story. Now not all of them have names; I didn't name the glade guard for instance because I don't particularly see that they would have one being a collection of essentially conscripted militia asrai as it were, but pretty much everything else has or is getting backstories and fluff written up for them. Eventually I want to do the same thing as Grey and make my own army book up with full descriptions, photos and fluff; I think that is absolutely a great touch on an army.

The names I have been giving them are based around games I'm slowly playing or interesting stories; for instance my glade rider unit is called 'The Ghosts of Carcassone' which stems from a game I played against a Bret player a couple months ago where they played havoc with his back field. After their performance I pulled them apart and kitbashed the hell out of them as a reward. My warhawks are converted to look like half-dragons out of witch elves and tyranid wings and are called 'The Daughters of Nidhoggyr'; Nidhoggyr being a forest dragon I'm looking to build, the Warlocks I'm thinking of will probably be some derivative of 'The Coven of Laughter' meaning they have aligned themselves with Loec, my sisters are 'The Daughters of the Green Wolf' because, surprise, I'm converting them to be on wolves that will be green. That's how I do things, the other forces I'll leave until they either do something in battle worthy of a name or until my written fluff draws them in to the story in some meaningful way.

The only thing I really care about is what gets me the most enjoyment out of my hobby; for me that's doing every aspect of it to the highest standard I can: fluff, converting, painting, writing, playing, it's all the same to me, I'm just trying to get to black belt at this hobby so to speak. I don't really care if other people think I'm crazy or sane because it's my time and my hobby just the same as I don't care if people think I'm a barbarian because I hunt or a thug because I do martial arts; their opinion does not dictate my experience.

So to answer your questions.

- Yes I do. No it's your hobby and time and you decide what is too far.
- As I said I give them descriptive titles but military breakdowns are another fine idea, though perhaps something more uniquely elven might be worth looking into; 1st/2nd/3rd Talon, 1st/2nd/3rd Wing, 1st/2nd/3rd Quiver, don't know, it's whatever you prefer.
- No reason the unit and the champion can't have seperate names or share names, again it's your preference.
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
SteVieBizzLe

#5 Post by SteVieBizzLe »

Lady Phoenix wrote:
SteVieBizzLe wrote:I don't name my units per se but I have been known to overtly proclaim a noble name for my units/characters upon completion of heroic deeds.

Hope that helps.
So, 3 good examples would be

Saphery Archers
Like you say Scorrge of Naggarythe
Dragon Slayers

Yeah something like that. It sounds patronising but I guess you just have to have fun with it and imagine reading a fantasy novel and types of names you would find in there.

I like:

Dragon Slayers of Caledor (play on the irony)
Hawkeyes of Saphery
The Kings Guard
Huntsmen of Chrace
Lion Slayers
The Pirates of Lothern

Go nuts and enjoy it!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

As in, of a unit that's just failed all it's rolls to hit, despite ASF, lost combat and failed it's re-rollable Stubborn 10, leaving a gaping hole in your line?

"Useless Bastards!"

Or somesuch...

:)

Moved to High Elf Culture per request.

SA
RE.Lee

#7 Post by RE.Lee »

I've gone the route of modern military names for my core units - so for example my LSG/spearmen are Nikaia's 1st, 2nd and 3rd Infantry. Some unit have also gained special nicknames - the mentioned units are called "Immortals", "Turquoise Guard" and "Emerald Guard" respectively. Elite units are named as per army book at the moment, though I'm on the lookout for cool names.

One of the best thing about ET books was the inspiring list of unit names in each battle.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Davariel
Chronicler

#8 Post by Davariel »

I personally consider coming up with your own fluff and background one of the best parts of this hobby, I give all my characters backstories, roles and such, although I'm a bit more lax when it comes to units.

When it comes to naming units I think there's plenty of options. You could title a unit by where they hail from, you could give them a name suited to their usual role or their character, or one in recognition of a time when they distinguished themselves, or you could use military style designations as others have done. Go with whatever sort of names you like most! :)

A few examples I have are:
- Archers of Tor Nayel (boring, but they're just levies, what can you do :roll: )
- Warriors of the Moon (Shadow Warriors, since their leader is known as the Moonborn)
- Finubar's Claws (Bolt throwers that were a gift from the Phoenix King)

As a side note, have you checked out the High Elf Uniforms and Heraldry book? I seem to remember it had a few good examples of named units...
Loriel

#9 Post by Loriel »

I would like to name units, but I usually fail to keep the "story" ongoing. I have tried to add little lore text to the reports recently.

I personally like to name particular models that have done something really exceptional. For examply my revered White Lion (who is now White Lion champion) Leo "The Untouchable". He was rank and file white lion that had major beating, he was left alone by extensive shooting and alone survived 28 close combat attacks (total 7 rounds of close combat)... The actual battle report with more detailed effort can be found http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/HE075/BR.html
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Giladis
The Merlord

#10 Post by Giladis »

I name all of my characters and units, as well as give them backstories. That is the best part of this hobby, the miniatures and the games are just the side show.
Corthan

#11 Post by Corthan »

I've named my units according to a particular convention. As we all know, translating from one language to another can cause both interesting and awkward sentences. Whatever I name my units in English is NOT what they are actually calling themselves. So, I've opted for names that sound weird and interesting in English knowing that my actual Asur are saying something much more concise and beautiful sounding in Tar Eltharin.

With that in mind; this is what I have so far:

"They who whisper death" (Archer unit)
"The wandering ghosts of ravens" (Shadow Warriors)
"The lonely shadows in the mountains" (white lions)

If anyone wants to actually help me with the Tar Eltharin words/phrases for those particular unit names then have at it :)
Lady Phoenix

#12 Post by Lady Phoenix »

Ive actually now opted for a combination of an earlier suggestion plus a numbering system that identifies the model age

Using a translator from http://www.elfdict.com

My sea guard will be called

8th aear, meaning 8th Sea

If I paint a unit up in, lets say colours to represent Avelorn then they will be known as the 8th Avelorn Aear

If Im lucky enough to get hold of, say, some figures from th 6th edition then Ill call them the 6th aear.

I havent worked them all out yet but Swordmaster of Hoeth will be known as Macil (Sword), Archers are Pilin (Arrow) and Spearmen will be ecthel (Spearhead)

Its not an exact science but I feel the 8th gwathel sounds better than the 1st Battalion 2nd Squadron Sisters Of Avelorn, even if it is wrong :)
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

Under Construction