Open Day new Teclis and new Elves teaser

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: Open Day new Teclis and new Elves teaser

#61 Post by RE.Lee »

Oh, this one I really like! Nothing over the top and HE were lacking some good female models.

The whole preview was very good, I think: the snotlings, the giants, the Warcry Dark Elves. I put a preorder on the Sister of Battle - had great fun painting Amelia, and this one looks just as nice.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Icarion

#62 Post by Icarion »

Vermis wrote:True, true. And if this was 2016 I'd be rolling my eyes like they were dice and I was trying to lose a fortune at a craps table. But while Teclis' helmet is way overblown, it doesn't irritate me as much as it would have. I think because, like the old HE, the weight of all that extraneous decoration appears to be centred around the base of the helmet. Compared to the new hammerers, where it looks like the slightest tip of that lever is going to send it spinning around the fulcrum.

If the hammerer horns were placed just a wee bit lower, over the brow, like a samurai crest, like Teclis? It'd be a vast improvement, IMO.
sorry, but even if it was more balanced, for me personally this isnt for elves, this is for beastmen.
It looks like a standard, haughty, bad-smell expression. Can you point out specifics?
it seems like the helmet is too tight, so it squeezes his face. ;)
Put your hands on your cheeks press your head and watch yourself in the mirror... you will probably see some similar features! ;)

I'm the opposite - I'm a skinflint. I weigh up every extra penny I'd have to spend on alternate models, and I try to go plastic if I can. (Also partly because I'm paranoid about the fragility of resin) Mind you, that 'standard' flies out the window when we're talking about GW plastic, not to mention how much I'd spend with bits resellers for kitbashing plans. :lol:
Ok, each persons life is different and everybody has his or her priorities. Me and my wife share an appartment and all cost, we have no kids, so we have hobbies.
Absolutely. In fact, I think it might better suit the fluff and one or two illustrations of SMs doing swooshy Jedi moves, than the stiffly regimented official minis with swords glued to their cheeks.
...talking about Jedi, i would like it even more if it was possible to put a (shorter) blade in each end of their axe-shaft, making their weapons more like Darth Maul´s dualblade (btw one of my favourite Star Wars characters ever with the most epic fightscene), but for this i will need to have the models in my hands to check if it works AND get 40 identical blades from somewhere... that might be tricky!
That's one of the things that eventually did my head in with Warhammer, and one of the handful of things I'll give AoS credit for: over the years the armies, block units and models got bigger and bigger, but the models were still treated individually and most still had to fit on a 20mm base. Got so that some of the newer, bigger models had to scrunch up or tesselate like floor tiles. With AoS, no matter the other flaws, all those 'every one an epic hero' minis had space to breathe.
puh, difficult topic! on one hand i love exaggerating with my conversions, making my formerly 20mm-based bloodletters hardly fit on 32mm roundbases and even if they had square bases and be squeezed in a unit, they would probably kill each other with their blades. On the other hand, moving in units is more realistic. In older times it was THE survival-method on the battlefield: Sticking together and watching each others back.
IMHO there is not much that is more majestic as a unit, than a full 25men strong phalanx of High Elves or a Dwarf-Shieldwall. Just EPIC!
With my chaos guys it´s difficult to imagine khornate (insane madmen) warriors or daemons to keep order and stay in line.
But ok, i wont be whining about the change, it is the way it is. For Chaos Age of Sigmar gave me what i was praying for to every dark god available, that you can now re-unite all kinds of creatures under Khorne´s banner: Not only Chaos Warriors, but also daemons, Beastmen (so called Khorngors), Dragon Ogres and all the other goodies!
With Elves, we will see... i hope they are not done with "pointy elves" after the Lumineth Realmlords, i want my damn dragons back! Lots of them... at best complete armies of them! ;)
RE.Lee wrote:Oh, this one I really like! Nothing over the top and HE were lacking some good female models.

The whole preview was very good, I think: the snotlings, the giants, the Warcry Dark Elves. I put a preorder on the Sister of Battle - had great fun painting Amelia, and this one looks just as nice.
The new elven lady definatelly has potential! I will just cut away those "wings" at her belt and this "construct" on her back and over her head. No idea what kind of drugs the designers were consuming but this is something i thought "...really?".
But the rest, these awesome clothes, that face with this fabric... just marvellous! I just have no idea how i will paint it, it will probably be a pain in the a...! :D
The funniest part is, that after feeling the need to cut away something, i would add some fairy or dragonfly wings to her back. For me, this would be perfect... no idea why, i guess i would just like it. But where in the hell i can get such wings? The wings GW has are all too big. I checked those of the nurgle drones and daemons, once painted they would look good, but they are way too big...

Regarding the Warcry elves, i am also really looking forward to that release! The mask of that mage(?) model i didnt like so much but the others are cool and this Shadow-topic as well as everything Morathi-related must be cool!

Yes, the whole model range of GW lacks good female models... this is why i am "stealing" a lot from other companies. Just take Raging Heroes, they make some of the most beautiful female models i´ve ever seen
Caledor for life!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#63 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I dislike this less than everything else we've seen. Since I'm out on the range, and don't need another character for my army I won't pick her up either, but if they all were more like this I just might have...
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#64 Post by Luna Guardian »

I really don't need another character, and this one doesn't wow me enough to get it "just because". It is "nice enough" but there's something about her that just puts me off, not sure what...
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Icarion

#65 Post by Icarion »

RE.Lee wrote:Oh, this one I really like! Nothing over the top and HE were lacking some good female models.
I know we have to be creative most of the time, but if someone feels free to use third-party products or GW non-highelf models, there´s plenty of stuff to choose from: Here´s the female models i´ve collected over the years for my highelves.
From left to right:
1.) This is the former Isabelle von Carstein with a staff instead of her chalice and a dragonskin cloak. I plan to use her as Dragonmage or Archmage on Dragon, since (due to her haircut) she has a bit of a "queen mom"-flair, but if i give her a healthy teint, normal-coloured (not grey) hair and pait her armour dragonprince-style, she will blend in perfectly. After all these vampire armours have all kinds of bat(or dragon?)wing-decoration elements, you dont see any fangs in her mouth that mark her as a campire and she fits from the sice.
2.) This is some Bretonnia-sorceress. Lovely model, maybe i change the staff.
3.) Raging Heroes, doesnt have to be a mage, but with that dragon, that model demands to be included in a caledor-army.
4.) Galadriel... do i have to say more?
5.) Alarielle... my alltime favourite female GW model. she´s just awesome! I will use her as she is, maybe add some little dragon on her outstretched hand, once the Inquisitor-model is released, which was announced in yesterdays GW-podcast on twitch. (i already have a friend, who shares the model with me. we pay 50/50, i get the dragon, he gets the rest)
...last but not least, the new Morathi model (in human form of course)... i mean wow... just WOW! Give her a highelf paintjob, maybe make a mage staff out of her spear and BÄM, here you have an awesome highelf queen!
Caledor for life!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#66 Post by Prince of Spires »

The floating headpiece thingy is just weird. I do think that once you remove that it's a pretty nice model. It's not particularly elven (it would a pretty good Bretonian model). But it's better then a lot of the other new models. And I like that it's a relatively subdued model.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Olthannon

#67 Post by Olthannon »

Yes I agree totally. The fact that it's relatively chilled out in comparison to the usual madness is why I don't think the model is too terrible.

The other stuff in that release like the snotlings and giants look pretty interesting.
One foot in the hobby
Vermis

#68 Post by Vermis »

Icarion wrote:it seems like the helmet is too tight, so it squeezes his face. ;)
Put your hands on your cheeks press your head and watch yourself in the mirror... you will probably see some similar features! ;)
Fair enough. :lol: I guess I just expected that kind of thing from GW nu-elves.
...talking about Jedi, i would like it even more if it was possible to put a (shorter) blade in each end of their axe-shaft, making their weapons more like Darth Maul´s dualblade (btw one of my favourite Star Wars characters ever with the most epic fightscene), but for this i will need to have the models in my hands to check if it works AND get 40 identical blades from somewhere... that might be tricky!
A bit like Eternal Guard 'spear staves'? Brilliant. Sisters of the Thorn javelins might be a possibility for smaller elven blades. IIRC they were going for cheap at bits resellers, a few years ago.
puh, difficult topic!
But one where we're pretty much agreed, I think. :)

Agreed with others about female elf models, too. Back before my wargaming break, I wanted Alarielle for my Avelorn plans (Preferring the last pre-AoS version) but she'd already gone to finecast and metal versions were like hen's teeth. Ended up with a second-hand FC and my paint stripper turned all the thin parts permanently wobbly before it removed all the caked primer. Horrible material.

After looking for substitutes, I think the Iconic Oracle from Reaper has potential, but I was falling back on my original plan of gender-reassigning the IoB mage. This new model is another good contender for the role. Although...
The new elven lady definatelly has potential! I will just cut away those "wings" at her belt and this "construct" on her back and over her head. No idea what kind of drugs the designers were consuming but this is something i thought "...really?".
Yeah, that. :lol: I might also have to shave down those hands and feet, too. Just a tad...
Icarion

#69 Post by Icarion »

Vermis wrote:Fair enough. :lol: I guess I just expected that kind of thing from GW nu-elves.
I got used to it over the years: I take the models i see potential in and try to make the best out of it. To find "the perfect model" is difficult, because everyone has a different taste.

A bit like Eternal Guard 'spear staves'? Brilliant. Sisters of the Thorn javelins might be a possibility for smaller elven blades. IIRC they were going for cheap at bits resellers, a few years ago.
:lol: MAN you´re brilliant!
i just realized that i have a set of Eternal Guard weapons i will never use cus i wanna kitbash them with Shadow Warriors (or just their arms, so i get more shadowy Shadow Warriors, with nicer cloaks). But i will probably use the blades only, as the staffs or the wooden shafts are too long in my opinion. If that fits, i might probably get a second box of Eternal Guard for another kitbash, and wont need to pay those crazy prices (for the price of 10 weapons i will probably get the whole original box).
Agreed with others about female elf models, too. Back before my wargaming break, I wanted Alarielle for my Avelorn plans (Preferring the last pre-AoS version) but she'd already gone to finecast and metal versions were like hen's teeth. Ended up with a second-hand FC and my paint stripper turned all the thin parts permanently wobbly before it removed all the caked primer. Horrible material.

After looking for substitutes, I think the Iconic Oracle from Reaper has potential, but I was falling back on my original plan of gender-reassigning the IoB mage. This new model is another good contender for the role. Although...
Can you post a pic, which Alarielle you´re looking for? With the new Alarielle riding the bug i now 3 versions of her.

Stripping finecast is pointless. Tried that twice, one turned to chewing gum, the other killed the details. Never again! I prefer to pay the full price and buy a new finecast model instead of messing with a used one.
Vermis wrote:
Yeah, that. :lol: I might also have to shave down those hands and feet, too. Just a tad...
On second thought, i guess i already have enough elven ladies, so i might not need her. We will see...
Caledor for life!
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#70 Post by Luna Guardian »

I have three regiments of the old metal Maiden Guard, ole ty of elven women there :lol:

Would like a set of decent looking plastic heads and torsos though, the dark elf ones are a bit too much (and too evil) and the new Sisters of Avelorn heads are just...odd
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Vermis

#71 Post by Vermis »

Icarion wrote::lol: MAN you´re brilliant!
I just wish more people realised it. :wink:
If that fits, i might probably get a second box of Eternal Guard for another kitbash, and wont need to pay those crazy prices (for the price of 10 weapons i will probably get the whole original box).
Man, prices must have gone up!
Can you post a pic, which Alarielle you´re looking for? With the new Alarielle riding the bug i now 3 versions of her.
This 'un here:

http://www.puttyandpaint.com/images/upl ... ized_l.jpg
Vermis

#72 Post by Vermis »

Luna Guardian wrote:I have three regiments of the old metal Maiden Guard, ole ty of elven women there :lol:
I'll say! Those were OOP before I discovered Warhammer. All I can do is peer at the goofy prices for, like, three single models on ebay. Three regiments is like Eldorado.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#73 Post by Prince of Spires »

Vermis wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:I have three regiments of the old metal Maiden Guard, ole ty of elven women there :lol:
I'll say! Those were OOP before I discovered Warhammer. All I can do is peer at the goofy prices for, like, three single models on ebay. Three regiments is like Eldorado.
It takes a bit of luck and patience. But I managed to get my hands on 27 maiden guard on ebay for decent prices. You need to find someone who is selling a group of them (they usually go for better prices than single models) and someone who either wants to get rid of them reasonably fast or who has no idea what the value of a single model is. If you get those 3 together then you can get some great deals. But it does mean checking ebay every now and then and not jumping on the first opportunity. I've gotten some great deals this way.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Vermis

#74 Post by Vermis »

Thanks Rod. :) I'm not too stressed about it, though. It's one of those things I planned to kitbash until the new lumineth spearmen turned up. I'll probably kitbash those too, to a degree.

I'll show off what I meant if I can stop gabbing about my plans and actually do them.
Icarion

#75 Post by Icarion »

Wow, this is awesome having 3 of those beautiful units! Do you have them painted? You should post them, so we can all "drool" a bit in front of our screens, be they painted or not... ;)
Luna Guardian wrote:Would like a set of decent looking plastic heads and torsos though, the dark elf ones are a bit too much (and too evil) and the new Sisters of Avelorn heads are just...odd
I guess you´re right, the dark elves might be a bit too evil and the Sisters are almost like a bunch of clones (all looking the same... almost).
Prince of Spires wrote: It takes a bit of luck and patience. But I managed to get my hands on 27 maiden guard on ebay for decent prices. You need to find someone who is selling a group of them (they usually go for better prices than single models) and someone who either wants to get rid of them reasonably fast or who has no idea what the value of a single model is. If you get those 3 together then you can get some great deals. But it does mean checking ebay every now and then and not jumping on the first opportunity. I've gotten some great deals this way.
You´re totally right! From time to time you also "meet" sellers that just need the money, so they sell it cheaper cus they are desperate or whatever... or maybe (i know it´s illegal but talking about desperation) someone finds a recaster, that gives you the chance to get 30 of them and things are good. ;)

My problem with the original sisters is, that they may be too small for the rest of the elves? I mean not the oversized primarislike-superelves that will be released soon, it´s enough to take just the normal elite guys as example: Phoenixguard. Next to them the old Maiden Guard probably looks like a bunch of 8year-old´s and even next to the the normal Sisters of Avelorn there might be a difference. Can anyone who owns them do a pic with another model to compare size?

I think my personal solution will probably be one day, that i´ll be looking for alternatives or kitbash something. That might be hell of a work but if the result justifies the effort, it´s worth it! I have to admit that i set my standart regarding models a lot higher than GW or myself can effectively do it in the (and screw up in painting and photography), but if i really want something, i have to do it myself.
Best example is my Bloodletters. Normal people go to the GW, buy a pack of 10 for 20€, spray them red, shade, a bit bonecolour for horns and teeth, 2 dots in the eyes and some metallic paint for the sword, done. But nope, i´m an idiot wanting something else, so my Bloodletters are all converted. Every single one! Greenstuff, bitzshop, fullscale hobby madness! But i love them and i hope one day inspiration strikes and i´ll find a way to do some Maiden Guard myself, i´ll just need bodies that are not totally monopose like the Sisters and heads. Hair i will sculpt myself so every Maiden will be an individual and spears&shields shouldnt be a problem for an elven-player.
I already had a chat with Galdor about that and since then my brain is working...
How would i kitbash a Maiden Guard?
First what makes an elven model male or female is the face, i guess nobody assumes that elves ever had oversized mega-bOObs. Therefor the torso should have an elaborated armour and they need a cloak. For this imho the Sisters of Avelorn kit is perfect, unless you find a better torso-kit and sculpt the cloak with greenstuff.
But ok, lets assume we have a Sister´s torso and cloak, the original Maiden Guard had skirts and were more lightarmour-ish, so the Sisters scaled skirt isnt appropriate. Solution #1: Cut off the edges from those "fuckme-boots" and sculpt a skirt with greenstuff. Solution #2: I would try the plastic archers legs, although it´s a long skirt, it is light armour without doubt. Solution #3: Probably the most expensive idea might be the legs of those new Namarti Reavers (from the fishhead elves modelrange), but the legs here dont come as separate bitz, so probably one will need the whole kit. Bonus would be a more dynamic pose.
What all my kitbash solutions have in common is, that the skirts or the boots too long. One would need naked legs or legs with shoes and greaves... but as far as i´ve checked, GW has none and my other "elfs-dealer" Lastsword and Raging Heroes dont fit (RH´s elves are mostly darkelves).
Caledor for life!
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#76 Post by Luna Guardian »

Icarion wrote:
Wow, this is awesome having 3 of those beautiful units! Do you have them painted? You should post them, so we can all "drool" a bit in front of our screens, be they painted or not... ;)
Well, I DO have a painting thread on this very site :wink:

But here's a picture of one the regiments. One of the regiments, the last and smallest one, is still unpainted, but the two 20 strong units are both painted (and now based, finally).

I should probably take some new pictures of the older units, some of them have seen a little touching up (for example bases)
Icarion wrote:My problem with the original sisters is, that they may be too small for the rest of the elves? I mean not the oversized primarislike-superelves that will be released soon, it´s enough to take just the normal elite guys as example: Phoenixguard. Next to them the old Maiden Guard probably looks like a bunch of 8year-old´s and even next to the the normal Sisters of Avelorn there might be a difference. Can anyone who owns them do a pic with another model to compare size?
I don't think they're distractingly small. Their equipment is light and more elegant, which gives them a "smaller" look, and as women are usually smaller framed than men, that also works in favor of the models not looking out of place

Icarion

#77 Post by Icarion »

Thank you! :)
Caledor for life!
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#78 Post by Galharen »

I gathered all the new Lumineth Elves in one post on my blog:)

http://galharen.blogspot.com/2020/05/lu ... lords.html
Vermis

#79 Post by Vermis »

Handy. :) I see the last illustration shows off the alternate heads that might make the hammers more palatable to some gamers.

I still haven't changed my mind that a good amount of those minis could use a good, swift headswap. The floaty cow mage is growing on me, but only if I blank that part out.

With Eltharion, I realised Reaper did it first, though maybe GW did it more intricately. I wonder how much of a challenge it would be to insert a physical body in those gaps?

And the more I look at the Alarith Spirit's face, the more I see this.

Have you see the latest preview of Lumineth in Warcry? A lot of confusion over whether that spear's a conversion, a special weapon, or if a trick of perspective in all the previous photos fooled us. :shock:

That's peculiar, the image was working a while ago. Here's a link.

https://i.4cdn.org/tg/1588803006161.jpg
Last edited by Vermis on Fri May 08, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icarion

#80 Post by Icarion »

i´m just thinking how i can squeeze them on 25mm roundbases for an Age of Sigmar Cities of Sigmar army as Spearmen (the spearguys) or Swordmasters (the hammer guys). got some heads from ebay, so i am prepared! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caledor for life!
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#81 Post by Elithmar »

Vermis wrote:I wonder how much of a challenge it would be to insert a physical body in those gaps?
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to suggest this! :lol:
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#82 Post by Galharen »

Icarion wrote:i´m just thinking how i can squeeze them on 25mm roundbases for an Age of Sigmar Cities of Sigmar army as Spearmen (the spearguys) or Swordmasters (the hammer guys). got some heads from ebay, so i am prepared! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think they are on 25mm round bases, aren't they?
Icarion

#83 Post by Icarion »

I found these beautiful models and it reminded me of the discussion we had here:
https://pledgemanager.es/producto/sampl ... ment-20-ks
...i already ordered at that company, they are from spain, quality is good and price is reasonable. Regarding size, they are more oldworld models, so if someone plans to go on the Lumis, mixing might look funny but for those of you (like me) who are not willing to pay crazy prices for original Maiden Guard, these might be an awesome alternative... even more since they are modular and not monopose and if someone dislikes the heads, they can be exchanged.

At the moment i just finished my daemon project and i´m math-hammering my 200+ highelf models into lists of Cities of Sigmar armies. But these girls i will probably buy for a "Living City" list, since they will look good next to lovely Alarielle! :-D

P.S.: i just hope i didnt post that already... somewhere... and forgot about it!?!? ;)
Caledor for life!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#84 Post by Prince of Spires »

I've seen Last Sword miniature models before. They're friendly guys and great models. But these are new for me. They look pretty great and a lot closer to the 7th/8th edition HE models than the announced AoS models from GW.

Thanks for sharing.

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#85 Post by Olthannon »

Wow these are awesome, if I had a bit more cash I'd be grabbing those for sure. Maybe a future nibble..
One foot in the hobby
Icarion

#86 Post by Icarion »

Galharen wrote:
Icarion wrote:i´m just thinking how i can squeeze them on 25mm roundbases for an Age of Sigmar Cities of Sigmar army as Spearmen (the spearguys) or Swordmasters (the hammer guys). got some heads from ebay, so i am prepared! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Lumis will come on 32mm, i am pretty sure about that. I just saw a pic where they were fighting Chaoswarriors, which are now 32mm too and the bases were the same size. On another pic they were fighting Skaven and the Lumis had bigger round bases than the Skaven.
BUT... it´s all an educated guess at best, maybe things will come out totally different, i dont know. i just think i need that box, that was previewed. No idea what i´ll do with the "Light of Eltharion" (i already disliked him in the old world, so we probably wont get best friends in this world... although i have to admit that this incarnation is a pretty stunning model!), but with the rest, i will have a lot of fun! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Caledor for life!
Giladis
The Merlord

#87 Post by Giladis »

I just want the dice :mrgreen:
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#88 Post by Galharen »

Icarion wrote:
Galharen wrote:
The Lumis will come on 32mm, i am pretty sure about that. I just saw a pic where they were fighting Chaoswarriors, which are now 32mm too and the bases were the same size. On another pic they were fighting Skaven and the Lumis had bigger round bases than the Skaven.
BUT... it´s all an educated guess at best, maybe things will come out totally different, i dont know. i just think i need that box, that was previewed. No idea what i´ll do with the "Light of Eltharion" (i already disliked him in the old world, so we probably wont get best friends in this world... although i have to admit that this incarnation is a pretty stunning model!), but with the rest, i will have a lot of fun! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I can take the ghost Eltharion from you:)
Olthannon

#89 Post by Olthannon »

So are we reckoning that it would be a bit of a sod to get them on 20mm bases?
One foot in the hobby
Icarion

#90 Post by Icarion »

Galharen wrote: I can take the ghost Eltharion from you:)
Hmm... i have to admit 2/3 of my sales on this forum were a bit disappointing :?
But if you really want, we can talk about it.
Olthannon wrote:So are we reckoning that it would be a bit of a sod to get them on 20mm bases?
Well, you CAN squeeze a model on a 20mm squarebase... somehow... but the regimental-base will need to have 2 floors! :lol:
Caledor for life!