Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 am 

Good morning,

somehow i really look forward to the "new old world" since my elves still have their square bases and i am slightly disappointed with the new elven stuff from age of sigmar, except for Morathi and her kin. i might use some of the new Lumineth models (heavily converted) for my old army, but playing elves in age of sigmar isnt very convincing for me... maybe a "count as"-army would be cool, but since i see no dragons on the horizon (ok, one for the stormcasts, but that doesnt count) that might prove difficult.

cya,

Icarion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:25 pm 
Green Istari

Icarion wrote:
somehow i really look forward to the "new old world" since my elves still have their square bases and i am slightly disappointed with the new elven stuff from age of sigmar,

I guess a key question is will it will be a game of ‘blocks’ or not? The Ice Guard concepts look almost historical to me which suggests the aesthetic of the models will be more old-school.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:07 pm 

I think it will be square bases yeah, they want as many people back in the hobby as possible. I'll gladly spend the money for good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:50 pm 
Bond... James Bond

What I find quite problematic is that this won't be "your dad's Old World". I mean the background and the concept for the unit are completely at odds what was established as Kislev lore back in the day. Ice wizards were neutral figures in the Kislev society neither for nor against Kislev but having a common goal of opposing Chaos. Tzarina being an ice wizard was a big and special thing. Her personal spy service did not trust other ice wizards at all and kept a close eye on them. Now they are supposed to be her bodyguards?

If the models are nice I might buy some but GW is loosing me more with each passing day. It even has no connection with most of my hobby time being spent on developing T9A setting. Over the holydays as I was home sick I managed to get my hands on Mark of Chaos and TW: Warhammer and I still really enjoy that setting so it is not like I don't care.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 am 

Giladis wrote:
"your dad's Old World"

lol dad´s?... i played it myself, cus i´m old! :lol: :wink:
anyways, i guess it might still take a while and i am pretty sure, GW rather wants sell new models than let people undust their old ones.
What "gamestyle" it will be - if it will be a standalone game like bloodbowl or if it will replace AoS - we will see.
Whatever it will be, i want them to hurry up cus i hate nothing more than waiting for them to set up rules what stupid bases we will play on. (probably i´ll be disappointed and we have to wait another 2-3 years)

But let´s stay positive, with the Cities of Sigmar we have the possibility to play at least SOME oldschool highelves, so things are not SO terrible! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:02 pm 
Bond... James Bond

That is GW's marketing not me. For the last two years since they went full speed ahead with 8th Ed 40K they been hyping most big changes as "not your dad's WH..." like that is a bad thing or soemthing :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:19 am 

Giladis wrote:
That is GW's marketing not me. For the last two years since they went full speed ahead with 8th Ed 40K they been hyping most big changes as "not your dad's WH..." like that is a bad thing or soemthing :(

ok, i didnt know that. this way it looks like some marketing guy at GW has daddy.issues... :lol:

but as you said, i also dont think the old stuff is bad... i would rather say "au contraire", most of it i like even better. the good thing is, with ebay and internet-forums we have a huge amout of models to choose from and we can get old and new stuff, so i think there´s good times ahead! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:53 am 

Depends how they fit it all in. Historically, personal bodyguards of rulers tend to end up being extremely powerful and go for the old coup d'etat. Might be why there's a change in this regard, either before or after the fact. Or, it's just a nice change. It's still years away, dismissing it this early on seems fruitless.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:34 am 

Well, to MAKE things fit, there´s some nice tricks, like working with the bases to make models look bigger, putting them on stones (and the bigger ones on smaller stones) or slightly more earth before adding static grass...
once an army is completely painted in one style, nobody will care! ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:16 am 
Young Eataini Prince

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/11/old-world-update-bearsgw-homepage-post-4/

The latest update - Kislev bears.

Of course the concept sketches indicate something much bigger (and more expensive, I'm sure...) than the old models. Which just makes me think how perfect these would have been for 8th edition, given the monstrous cavalry trend!

"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:26 pm 

I am a huge fan of those bear concept images. They look absolutely delicious. Can't wait to see this all coming to fruition in a few years.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:00 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Agreed. The bear concept looks great. If the finished model turns out similar then it will be a tempting buy for sure.

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:37 pm 

I'm not so sure about the bear cavalry, in that it seems like a continuation of the 8th/ET trend of making things more WoW-ey. For the human factions at least. I liked that they had a few half-decent wizards and maybe the emperor had a griffin in his menagerie, but otherwise it was cannons and cold steel against all the other magic-saturated weirdoes of the world.

But then I also chop the flaming bows off sisters of avelorn, so there's that. :P

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:47 pm 

I mean to be fair the bear cavalry of Kislev has existed since forever.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:27 am 

I'm cautiously hopeful for the "Old World". There are plenty of other rank and file games that have a more streamlined and less complicated ruleset that caused GW to pull the plug on fantasy.... I don't think they'll make significant changes to the lore considering the success of the Total War: Warhammer games. It wouldn't make sense to make it different from what non-tabletop gamers have learned about it through video games.

The only things I do worry about, are different model footprints that make older armies obsolete so you have to buy bases or entirely new armies if it's in a different scale (ie 15mm) or their "streamlined rules" incentives which would ruin the option for character/army customization. Give me back the pages of magic items and location specific rules and I'll be happy. Let me create MY army the way I envision it, instead of "well, a high elf is a high elf so that's what you get". Cothique elves FTW.

**RETIRED FROM WARHAMMER FANTASY 2015. END TIMES.**

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:07 pm 
Green Istari

The bear armour brings The Golden Compass to mind.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001