Fyreslayer sprue (new GW dwarf)

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Fyreslayer sprue (new GW dwarf)

#1 Post by Aicanor »

First glimpse of what dwarfs could look like: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... aked-sprue. There is a mock-up of the model on second page of the thread.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Fyreslayer sprue (new GW dwarf)

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Interesting.

I would say it's a dual kit, allowing two possible characters => there's 2 heads on the sprue. My guess as to who it is would be the avatar of flame guy from the End Times books (the slayer king, Ungrim? I never was good with dwarf names...). It does indeed remind of a dwarf slayer and with a big mask, flames and a staff he sounds like a logical bet.

The style looks pretty close to current dwarves I think. It's good to see GW creating some new fantasy miniatures other then sigmarines or evil sigmarines. Let's hope the other races get some more attention in the near future (other then a repackaging which is what counted as a new release in the past months...). I was in a GW shop yesterday. And half the shelf space for fantasy was taken up by either AoS books or sigmarines. The other races had half the space available to them they used to have. Felt pretty dire. And, as someone who doesn't play (or is interested in) sigmarines it means there is a lot less reason to visit a store. After all, why bother if the chance they'll have what you're looking for is minimal.

The dwarf model at least gives me some hope that the 'old' WH style is not completely gone...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

Looking pretty good, though I hate the multipart plastic single models that you have to paint before assembling...
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: there is a lot less reason to visit a store. After all, why bother if the chance they'll have what you're looking for is minimal
Sadly, I've felt like this since they dropped metal models Rod.

New Dwarf looks a bit 'in yer face' but appropriate perhaps.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

You're just old and grumpy ;) Or at least in the hobby longer then me... :)

It's not a big store, and I accept that shelf space is limited and at a premium. But before, they at least had a good basis to start any fantasy army (ok, except WE and brets probably). From the boxes you could get a feeling of what was in the army, what it would look like etc. Now, there's just 4 or 5 boxes per army, and with the smaller shelfspace it's all sort of mixed together. From walking into the store I wouldn't be able to tell there were HE (or Aelfs or whatever they're called) or empire or ... It wasn't very inviting to start any fantasy army, other then sigmarines or one of the bundles they recently released (which are too expensive to be an impulse buy in my opinion).

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#6 Post by Aicanor »

Fyreslayers are Dwarfs (I won't say Duardin, because for some reason the name it evokes someone really dumb in me) from realm of Aqshy. Slayer mercenaries mentioned in (first?) AoS book as fighting for ur-gold to put together their shattered God Grimnir. Or some such. This looks like standard bearer character (I guess).

I started with plastic figures. But I must say I also miss the metals now. They are in a way superior to both resin and plastic.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:You're just old and grumpy
We have a TV show called Grumpy Old Men.

:)
Prince of Spires wrote:It's not a big store, and I accept that shelf space is limited and at a premium. But before, they at least had a good basis to start any fantasy army (ok, except WE and brets probably). From the boxes you could get a feeling of what was in the army, what it would look like etc. Now, there's just 4 or 5 boxes per army, and with the smaller shelfspace it's all sort of mixed together. From walking into the store I wouldn't be able to tell there were HE (or Aelfs or whatever they're called) or empire or ... It wasn't very inviting to start any fantasy army, other then sigmarines or one of the bundles they recently released (which are too expensive to be an impulse buy in my opinion).
Surely this is active policy Rod? Sell the new ranges and retire the old?
Aicanor wrote:I started with plastic figures. But I must say I also miss the metals now. They are in a way superior to both resin and plastic.
I like the feel of metal, I like it's weight, I enjoy working it and painting it in the same way someone might enjoy working wood for example. Other materials have their own advantages but material matters IMHO.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aicanor wrote:ur-gold
That's a thing? Really?
SpellArcher wrote:Surely this is active policy Rod? Sell the new ranges and retire the old?
yes, it probably is by design. But that doesn't mean it's a good thing. It was always that new releases got highlighted more. They were usually the models they had lying around for an in-store game. And they would be featured more prominently. But They've taken it too far, where now half the shelfspace is taken up by just sigmares.

Compared to the 40k stuff which is on the other wall of the store, there everything has roughly equal shelf space. New stuff gets the most visible space. But at least it's all there. The 'other' fantasy stuff is now very limited. Without any knowledge of the game, if you would enter the store fresh, then it is all only about sigmares and the rest is just padding to fill up the last shelf available in the store. Which takes it a long way from the extensive and roughly egalitarian fluff of old WH.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#9 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote: there is a lot less reason to visit a store. After all, why bother if the chance they'll have what you're looking for is minimal
Sadly, I've felt like this since they dropped metal models Rod.
With you 100% on this. For the most part I can't take the plastic ones seriously when I sit down to paint them. And it's not just material, some of it is style as well.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#10 Post by Aicanor »

Prince of Spires wrote:Aicanor wrote:
ur-gold

That's a thing? Really?
Apparently it is a thing. I didn't buy AoS books, but sources seem pretty consistent on it. Perhaps it is the kind that can br only painted by old (somewhat) golden paint range. Then there is also the real life Ur gold. ISIS might be after it as well.

They definitely created some plastic abominations (and I do not mean THE Abomination either), but I was quite happy with Island of Blood stuff.

@ Rod, it could be the increasing amount of direct only stuff, not the store's choice not to have all those old models. Not sure about it, but it went on for quite some time already.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:For the most part I can't take the plastic ones seriously when I sit down to paint them.
For some reason I never had this problem with 40K. Probably because there were always plastic models for 40K.

Presumably GW is just trying to bin the old background and the models associated with it, at a rate of knots. Or maybe Sigmarines outsell the old stuff by a huge amount.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#12 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aicanor wrote:@ Rod, it could be the increasing amount of direct only stuff, not the store's choice not to have all those old models. Not sure about it, but it went on for quite some time already.
yeah, it's probably not the fault of the store manager. But it just feels like a bad strategy. But then, the whole AoS and getting rid of the established user base feels like that to me.

I like some of the plastic stuff. The screaming bell and arachnarok spider are some great kits and I like some of the new HE stuff (I actually like the skycutter for instance, silly though the idea is). For some others, I agree with Aicanor. They have also created some abominations. And with some of the newer releases, it feels like they are simply repeating the same steps in new models.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#13 Post by RE.Lee »

Ah, the plastic Skaven range made me start a new army :lol: I agree that many of the plastic kits just lack soul, especially when it comes to characters. Leaving those in metal (or even improving Finecast!) would have been a good idea. The Handmaiden is a great model...

I don't go to my local GW any more - my independent store has better prices and a better selection of models, paints and tools. Their shelfs look just fine :D
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#14 Post by Galharen »

I have here also a local GW store, but I don't go there anymore either. Not only due to the 95% WH40k there, but also the store stuff and customers there, 120% nerd, when I get into the shop I have the feeling that I'm disturbing them :lol:

Anyway, any new rumours? Are dwarves the new toys?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

I love the plastic skaven stuff. It's all very weird and 'mad evil-genuis' style. If I hadn't had so much HE stuff left to paint I would definitely have started a skaven army as well. Even more so after the IOB set (since you also just need a lot of rats...).

I also like my independent store better (I'm blessed with two GW stores and 1 independent store close by). Friendly staff, they take the time to get to know you and have a chat. Knowledgeable (though less so about WH stuff), great playing tables, more mature crowd. Not much reason to pick a GW store over them.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#16 Post by SpellArcher »

My experience here in Britain is that GW opening up near an independent tended to kill it off.

The ones I know of have no GW nearby.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#17 Post by Prince of Spires »

From what I can tell, independents here survive off Magic the Gathering mainly, as well as a lot of other games. WH is a bit of an 'also ran' game for independents here (the few I've been to at least). I'm guessing WH is less dominant with the gamer crowd here then in the UK.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#18 Post by SpellArcher »

Could well be.

Magic is big here too of course. But I guess Warhammer has been around a very long time as have GW's shops in most towns and cities here, the culture is deeply entrenched.
John Rainbow

#19 Post by John Rainbow »

Prince of Spires wrote:From what I can tell, independents here survive off Magic the Gathering mainly, as well as a lot of other games. WH is a bit of an 'also ran' game for independents here (the few I've been to at least). I'm guessing WH is less dominant with the gamer crowd here then in the UK.

Rod
I think this is going to change going forward though. I just don't see GW having the same appeal and group of players as it used to in my area of the US. No one from my old crew still plays GW after they 'cut fantasy' so to speak. We all moved onto either KoW or x-wing or somesuch else which the FLGS is more than happy to help with.