Excellent Army List Builder 2.0

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Eirik

#1 Post by Eirik »

I've created a sleek Excel-based Armylist builder
Edit: Updated to 2.0 (HE and O&G, compatible with older excel versions)

Warhammer is evolving, army catalogs and points are updated constantly. It's a pain to modify conventional army builders, but editing Excel files is easy and intuitive.
This builder is free, doesn't require 3rd party software, and is robust and highly automated.
  • - Currently works for HE and O&G
    - Uses Furion's Reworked and Rebalanced Rules
    - Easy to update for any army
    - I plan to add armies if people find it useful
  • - .xls file type, should work on reasonably recent versions of excel
    - Does not use macros, only calculations, data validation, conditional formatting
    - Please let me know if you find any issues
The list builder is easy to use:
1. Type in the name of the model
2. Points, Army Roles (Lord etc), and Stats are populated [you can find and edit these values in the catalog sheet]
3. You can enter upgrades and equipment options, for example, 'Hvy Armr (L)' for your prince or 'L2' for your Mage
4. Upgrades will automatically take on the unit type of the entry above (Hvy Armr on your prince will count towards Lord points)
5. Multiple items (up to 6) can be entered in a single cell and their points will be totaled (separate with commas)
6. The first item in the list counts for Stats and Army Role

Example of Usage 1: A Noble BSB on a griffon with some equipment
In your first cell you enter: [Noble, BSB]
What you get: The points for a noble and the BSB upgrade are tallied (95) and added to your Hero total. Stats for a noble are populated to the right
In the cell below you enter: [Griffon, Swp Strk, Lance (H), Drgn Armr (H)]
What you get: The points for a Griffon mount, swooping strike upgrade, a lance and dragon armor (hero versions) are summed (121). Since 'Griffon' has no role it automatically takes the 'hero' role from the entry above. Since 'Griffon' has a stat block the stats are automatically populated to the right.

Example of Usage 2: A unit of archers with armor and some command models
In your first cell you enter: [Archer, Lt Armr]
What you get: The points cost for one archer with the light armor upgrade (11). Since the first entry was 'Archer' points are assigned to Core and stats are populated on the right
In the [no.] cell to the right: you edit the value from [1] to [20]
What you get: You are now charged for 20 archers at 11pts each
In the cell below you enter: [Musician, Banner]
What you get: You are charged 20pts. They count as 'core' just like the entry above since 'Musician' has no role

How do you know which abbreviations to use?
We need to list many things in limited space, so I used abbreviations. Most are intuitive and consistent. Drgn Armr (H) gives you dragon armor for a hero while Drgn Armr (L) gives you the more expensive dragon armor for a lord. Hvy Armr (L) and Shld (H) follow the same pattern.
Fortunately I've added a mini catalog you can browse right on the same sheet as your list. Each category has a drop down tab.
- If you select the Hero drop-down tab and select 'Handmaiden of Averlorn' you are politely informed that you need to use the name 'Handmaiden' in the list and that she is 85pts.
- If you click on the Magic Armor drop-down tab and select 'Armor of Destiny' you are told to use 'Armr Dstny'.
- If you click on the Equipment drop-down tab you can find options for many equipment/mount options that differ in price for Lords/Heros and Warriors/Mages
- This mini catalog is automatically updated when you edit the actual catalog.

How do I update the Catalog?
The catalog is a set of columns off to the right. Unless you want to edit points/names etc ignore it.

You can update the catalog without editing formulas. You can change names. Editing the points is the easiest/most-obvious change to make. You can add rows to the catalog (preferably by cut/pasting the rest of the catalog down by 1 row, not inserting rows)
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011