Reworking chariots

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Cinncinatti

Reworking chariots

#1 Post by Cinncinatti »

So I've always been somewhat fond of the chariot models in Warhammer, but I always thought the rules concerning chariots made no sense, and actually discourage their use. Chariots in actual combat were used to disrupt formations by moving through the enemy, not staying stationary on one flank. If a chariot just stopped after charging they would be ripped to shreds!

I always thought chariots should move through a unit, not unlike a fleeing unit, causing some damage along the way. They should also disrupt rank bonus, but only cause a leadership test if another friendly unit is in combat with the same target. When going through, the enemy gets to attack back for each rank they pass through (not sure how to work this out. D3 per rank?). And to make sure the chariot isn't too powerful, it has to take a dangerous terrain test while doing this, with a 1 resulting in its destruction. And if the chariot is charged, it gets stuck in combat like any other unit.

With these changes, I think chariots would be viable in either 8th or 9th or even AoS (problem is less pronounced in AoS since units can retreat). I don't think a statline change would be necessary, since they should be used as just rank disrupters to try and shift tough enemies, glass cannons really.

So what do we think? Am I way off the mark?
Furion

Re: Reworking chariots

#2 Post by Furion »

I think chariots are ok, they are just badly priced.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/followfurion][b]FollowFurion[/b] on youtube for in depth WFB tactics analysis (click!)[/url]