Warhammer Total War Trailer

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Rogue Trader

#1 Post by Rogue Trader »

From Faeit.

Enjoy!
Loriel

Re: Warhammer Total War Trailer

#2 Post by Loriel »

..... looking at the comments...

I don't know if its warhammer players or total war players... or perhaps the combination ;)

Trailer look good and gave me chills no doubt about it. a game truly to be tested =)
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Davariel
Chronicler

#3 Post by Davariel »

This is amazing, they've really nailed the look and feel of Warhammer. Even if the game itself is bad it looks like there'll be heaps of inspiration for conversions, paint schemes and the like!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

It looks great.

I do wonder how the developers of The Creative Assembly are liking the recent GW developments with AoS. They picked pretty much the worst possible time to create a Warhammer game. Release it a year ago (or even half a year) and everything is fine. Now? I can imagine a lot of people are so done with GW that they will skip the game on principle.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Loriel

#5 Post by Loriel »

agree with prince of spires.

We all tend to say that GW is this really middle finger showing big corporation who doesn't care about their customers etc etc etc... Well I take most of you know the picture that internet community share to some extend.

Think about the middle finger showing to Total War company that they must have started the project to do the game for... well I really have no idea of time schedules of that kind of project but I could easily imagine a year ago??? Then they agree almost simultaneously publish the next edition with the Total War franchise with cross advertisement and creating a hype...

I can imagine the dropped jaws of Total War marketing dudes when the story evolved to something new and they made "old world story instead"...

But regardless I will most likely give the total war ago ;)
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Peepster1976

#6 Post by Peepster1976 »

Great stuff!!! More of this!!
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

O, I will likely give the game a try as well. I love the Total War games. I've played them a lot (mainly Rome I and Medieval I) and they're good fun and generally well put together. That alone is already enough reason to play this game for me.

But yeah, I can just see the marketing guys of Total War arriving at work one morning, opening their email and just thinking "they did WHAT???..."

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ladril Caledor

#8 Post by Ladril Caledor »

It's a huge shame both ways. This game is bound to get a lot of people interested in the Old World fluff and models, as well as rekindling the interest of old warhammer players. It could have led to a huge boost in sales. Not sure if that will happen now.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#9 Post by Galharen »

I like this trailer a lot.
shame that GW makes some silly mistakes lately...
Aicanor
Rainbows

#10 Post by Aicanor »

CA: Will you be still sell all these models when the game comes out?
GW: Sure.

A week later at GW headquarters:

Warhammer is not selling, let's end the old world and do something more like 40k. Then we can stop producing so many models for it.
GW law department: We can't do that, remember the Total War game contract?
Oh damn I forgot... let's come up with some fun rules for the old models then. A nice little nod towards old players (I mean, hobbyists). Should keep CA happy.

:mrgreen:
Rogue Trader

#11 Post by Rogue Trader »

Agree with the comments above.

GW's WFB/AoS strategy & timing is…(strange gurgling sounds as I struggle to put into words my frustration).

Typically Total War sales exceed a million copies so this should have been a massive marketing opportunity for GW. By working with CA, refocusing and making many of the changes mentioned in other threads (e.g. lower cost of entry, easier learning curve) GW could have provided the boast WFB needed.

Nice to see a company (CA) understand and communicate with their customers, handle a release professionally and generate excitement and expectation.

It just illustrates the gap in quality and ability between the respective senior management teams.
Ielthan

#12 Post by Ielthan »

I read somewhere that the creator of the total war series has been an orc and goblins player since like 3rd edition or something and this was his dream project. Can't imagine he was too happy about age of sigmar. Imagine if they'd just put a small 5 second ad in the game (on startup) for the tabletop game, could really have driven fantasy sales by bringing in a new market. Found some sales figures for rome 2, as of may 2014 it had sold 1.13 million copies across europe and north america, even if just 1% of them picked up some stuff I'd imagine that to be a pretty big sales boost to the supposedly struggling fantasy (btw that's a myth, uk sales figures for gw for the last quarter of 2014 showed wfb just 5% behind 40k). Aos was purely about ip; chapterhouse had a gigantic effect within the company; they figured stealing a marvel ip was better than stealing a tolkien one...

Now if anything I can see this having the opposite effect; those of us who loved the rank and file, maneuvering, large model count and the fluff of the old world will just play this instead of getting into age of sigmar. Why bother paying £30 for 5 models with fluff you don't care about and that are basically incompatible with your old stuff, when you can just play this with armies you actually have a connection to.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#13 Post by Aicanor »

Interesting, Ielthan. I do not know where you took those numbers, but I have my doubts about the 8% number doing rounds across the forums. Only other 'real' number I saw was 40k making 40% revenue and WHFB 25% in the US before Chapterhousegate (supposedly someone at Dakka found it amongst materials connected to that lawsuit).
I am still not convinced this change is done because of their IP worries either though, as they just made their brave new world more generic, not less. But to have a Total War game released and not take advantage of it seems equally idiotic...
Lord Anathir

#14 Post by Lord Anathir »

Well they've succeeded. Instead of buying armies worth 500 quid I'm casually collecting and painting random miniatures for 25.

=D> GW, well played.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Ielthan

#15 Post by Ielthan »

@Aicanor

Internal numbers from a gw employee, hobbit & lotr made up 7% of sales (more than I expected actually, given the desolation of smaug sourcebook sold about 600 copies worldwide) these numbers were pre-smaug too, which was way more successful than they anticipated. That person has been a goldmine of info regarding gw internal goings-on (it's hilarious how badly wrong the main rumour sites often are, I think that's partly because most of them are US based and rely on US sources, but gw's restructuring has centralised a lot of staff in nottingham and removed an entire tier of management, that in itself has created a big problem for store staff in terms of career progression, but I digress) but I don't generally post stuff as he's a friend and I don't want to betray his trust. But this was like 5 months ago or something so I don't think he'd mind. I'd imagine wfb didn't sell as well in the us, but I think that's a cultural thing, space marines really seem to speak to a lot of Americans.

Can tell you though 100% age of sigmar happened because of chapterhouse, it scared the crap out of them. It's why rules are now printed in white dwarf simultaneously with model release (even though the books usually come after), it's to do with the way copyright law works, it was explained to me but I kind of zoned out...basically once it's printed they can protect it in court or something.

EDIT: the rules changes are just about making it easier for new people to learn, but I don't think you need a gw source to see that :p. In regards to the ip becoming more generic, that's just incompetence, they genuinely are trying to make their fluff unique and defendable.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#16 Post by Prince of Spires »

I probably missed something somewhere. But what is Chapterhouse? And how does it influence GW?

Rod

Check out my plog

Aicanor
Rainbows

#17 Post by Aicanor »

@Ielthan, thanks, I knew they were obsessed with protecting their IP, but to end the world for this sole reason seems a bit extreme. Just to think of all the BL books and the games still selling... to be replaced with Prosecutors, Judicators and Liberators...

@Spires
Chapter House is one of those companies supplying people with alternative models and bits (most famously Space Marines shoulderpads). A few years ago GW thought it wise to suit them for IP infringement. They won some claims, lost more and lost a lot of money on the lawsuit.
Francis

#18 Post by Francis »

And the whole debacle made GW panic... When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout...

Thanks a lot for that information Ielthan, it is nice to get some accurate insight, if you have anything else that you can share without hurting your friend it will be appreciated immensely. I am always on the lookout for stuff that can help me make sense of GW's decision making process, to be frank, it baffles me.
Ielthan

#19 Post by Ielthan »

@Francis

It's difficult, gw staff do browse forums (being a smaller one I think we fly a little under the radar), contrary to popular belief they love the hobby more than any of us. It's very easy for these things to lead back to people, or for bols or faeit to pick it up and blow it all out of context and proportion. It's a shame really, if gw was just a bit more open about things with it's community a lot of nonsense could be avoided. In like a year's time ask me about how Matt Ward left, it's a funny story.
Ielthan

#20 Post by Ielthan »

Aicanor wrote:@Ielthan, thanks, I knew they were obsessed with protecting their IP, but to end the world for this sole reason seems a bit extreme. Just to think of all the BL books and the games still selling... to be replaced with Prosecutors, Judicators and Liberators...

@Spires
Chapter House is one of those companies supplying people with alternative models and bits (most famously Space Marines shoulderpads). A few years ago GW thought it wise to suit them for IP infringement. They won some claims, lost more and lost a lot of money on the lawsuit.

Yeah it's heartbreaking that they just did away with 30 years work (not their work either, but the work of people on who's shoulders they stand) because of this pretty stupid lawsuit (which destroyed the chapterhouse guy's life, and come on was he really a threat to them? The Disney school of legal blitzkrieg...). That they replaced it with...this...is both terrible and bizarre.

They've put themselves in direct competition with the myriad of other skirmish games out there, sure gw make the best models, but in terms of ip they can't compete with say x-wing (which is about to explode with the movie releases), or even the batman game (which has incredible models btw). In terms of rules, even the most die hard fan boys admit they're poorly written, even if you like the idea behind it it's incredibly ambiguous in many parts. I've played it a fair bit now and honestly there are too many rules discussions that can have a massive impact on the game. Warmachine seems to have them pretty firmly beaten on that front. Also I can't see how their current pricing strategy can be close to sustainable.
Francis

#21 Post by Francis »

Ielthan wrote:@Francis

It's difficult, gw staff do browse forums (being a smaller one I think we fly a little under the radar), contrary to popular belief they love the hobby more than any of us. It's very easy for these things to lead back to people, or for bols or faeit to pick it up and blow it all out of context and proportion. It's a shame really, if gw was just a bit more open about things with it's community a lot of nonsense could be avoided. In like a year's time ask me about how Matt Ward left, it's a funny story.
I will hold you to that, I have heard whispers about that as well, but nothing substantial, and I really wanted to know the story to it. If you want you could alwasy PM me, then again I could be the GW =I= in disguise :mrgreen: