Banner army for conversion

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Gondarion

Banner army for conversion

#1 Post by Gondarion »

I'm looking to convert my BSB as was done in this link (one of the best high elf armies I've ever seen)

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39121

Problem is, I can't figure out what arm to use, and whether there is an appropriate banner or if he made it himself from scratch. That poster no longer posts.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Banner army for conversion

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Looks like a self-made flag to me.

Banner top is from the old White Lions of course, my BSB incorporates it too.

Poster is Joe Sturge, formerly of the Dragon Slayers club (and GW). Used to be one of the best players in the UK.
Gondarion

#3 Post by Gondarion »

SpellArcher wrote:Looks like a self-made flag to me.

Banner top is from the old White Lions of course, my BSB incorporates it too.

Poster is Joe Sturge, formerly of the Dragon Slayers club (and GW). Used to be one of the best players in the UK.
I have one of those white lion bits too, Do you think the arm is self-made too? I've got plenty of banner arms, but I've been having a hard time finding one that fits the model. It doesn't have to be exactly like Joe's, I'm no perfectionist with models
Orchaldor

#4 Post by Orchaldor »

Hand-made from paper, it seems. I found the following question and answer buried near the bottom of that thread. Inspiring stuff!

Q: "How did you do the banners on the Tiranoc chariots?"

A: "Good old fashioned paper, oddly enough. The chariot banners are relatively thin paper, folded over, while the bsb is much thicker stuff painted on both sides."
Gondarion

#5 Post by Gondarion »

Orchaldor wrote:Hand-made from paper, it seems. I found the following question and answer buried near the bottom of that thread. Inspiring stuff!

Q: "How did you do the banners on the Tiranoc chariots?"

A: "Good old fashioned paper, oddly enough. The chariot banners are relatively thin paper, folded over, while the bsb is much thicker stuff painted on both sides."
Yeah, the banner is definitely handmade, the question is the arm and the staff the banner is attached to
Malossar
Something Cool

#6 Post by Malossar »

The staff is brass rod. The army seems to be the same sword arm with the rod drilled through.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Malossar wrote:The staff is brass rod. The army seems to be the same sword arm with the rod drilled through.
That's my thoughts on it as well.
John Rainbow

#8 Post by John Rainbow »

Paper works or you could also use a beer can or something similar as it holds the shape a lot better.
Ielthan

#9 Post by Ielthan »

I'm pretty sure the arm is the one that comes with the model, just with the sword removed and the hand drilled through, with some brass rod then passed through. There are few ways you could do the banner, one of the best ways I've seen is a guy squeezed out all the tomato puree from a tube

cut it open to form a sheet (it's like aluminium foil but thicker and sturdier), flattened it, then cut it to shape, painted it, bent it to shape, and pva'd it.