Magnetizing bases

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Gondarion

Magnetizing bases

#1 Post by Gondarion »

I'm looking to add magnets to my high elf army bases (old square bases, no AoS). I've been looking around and unsure of what to buy. What are good types/brands of magnetic material to glue (?) to my bases?
John Rainbow

Re: Magnetizing bases

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I use K&J magnets (rare earth types) that I got from eBay. I then put a thin steel sheet in all of my movement trays to attach them too.
Gondarion

#3 Post by Gondarion »

John Rainbow wrote:I use K&J magnets (rare earth types) that I got from eBay. I then put a thin steel sheet in all of my movement trays to attach them too.
I just looked them up on Ebay, and it seems they're metal themselves and circular. How do you get weld them to square bases?
Elkadar

#4 Post by Elkadar »

I use a small balls of greenstuff myself. It allows to reliably level the magnet inside the base. You may consider to secure it with a drop of superglue as well. Raw greenstuff tends to fall of from the base sometimes.
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

Elkadar wrote:I use a small balls of greenstuff myself. It allows to reliably level the magnet inside the base. You may consider to secure it with a drop of superglue as well. Raw greenstuff tends to fall of from the base sometimes.
This. Superglue and/or greenstuff. I usually just use superglue.
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

Also, these magnets are super strong so you do not need large ones unless you are using metal minis. The 5mm dia. ones are strong enough to hold my minis to the movement tray upside down.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

For plastic minis I just use "magnet tape". At least I think that's what it's called. It comes in a roll, and it's just a big long magnet strip that you cut to the size you need. What I actually use is the same stuff, but I got it out of the seal on old refrigerator doors back when I worked at a place I could do that. So if you know anyone about to junk an old refrigerator....
Gondarion

#8 Post by Gondarion »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:For plastic minis I just use "magnet tape". At least I think that's what it's called. It comes in a roll, and it's just a big long magnet strip that you cut to the size you need. What I actually use is the same stuff, but I got it out of the seal on old refrigerator doors back when I worked at a place I could do that. So if you know anyone about to junk an old refrigerator....
This might be what I'm looking for, the rare earth magnets solution seems a but too much in price, I don't need anything super-duper. I have some spears+archers another player gave me that had black magnets glued (?) onto bases, he said sheets of tin on the movement tray kept them secured and they've been fine in my experience. My only concern with magnetic strip is what to do with bases larger than infantry.
theviking

#9 Post by theviking »

I buy precut sticky backed magnetic base bottoms from litko, reasonably priced and already cut to 20mm, 25x50, etc. They aren't as strong as the rare earth magnets but I can put a plastic model to vertical sheet metal and they will stick. I wouldn't trust it vertically in the car but flat in the box they stay put just fine.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#10 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

They work pretty well on cav bases as well, just have to use longer strips.

Anything bigger doesn't get ranked up so it works out.

And of course you can always got the cheap route with most of your models, and buy enough rare earth magnets to do the heavier things. I have some small ones that I use for making parts swappable, and a few large ones for things like making all metal dragons stick to the box I use for transport.