Would you use Game/Player finder App?

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

No
13%
Yes, only if its free.
38%
Yes, if purchase price is reasonable.
50%

Total votes: 8

Lord Anathir

#1 Post by Lord Anathir »

I've been thinking of developing a game finder App, but since it requires a significant amount of time (and a fair bit of money), I'm looking to see if people would be interested in using this sort of thing.

It would basically work as follows:

1) DL the app and put in your details...basically a username and location.
2) Set the location(s) and game systems you wish to get alerts for.
3) To find a game there is a "create game" function where the creator would input the date/time/location he wishes to play at, after which an alert would be sent to all other app users who have alerts turned on for that location.
For example: Andy, Bob and Carol live in Glasgow and have alerts turned on for 40k in Glasgow. Andy wants to find a game for Monday so he creates a game. "Looking for Game: 40k - Monday - 4:pm - @ Glasgow GW or other". Bob and Carol receive alerts. Carol can't play on Monday so she ignores it, but Bob can and selects "Accept Game", which opens a chat with Andy where they can iron out the details such as changing time or location or anything else.

Something like this is only as good as the number of people that use it, so if the general sentiment about this is that its useless or unnecessary I will just let it go.

Thoughts?

Thanks all.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Ladril Caledor

Re: Would you use Game/Player finder App?

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Great idea! I would absolutely use this.
Loriel

#3 Post by Loriel »

very good idea! If you take suggestion it could be called Wargame Tinder ;)
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Shadeseraph

#4 Post by Shadeseraph »

Damn right I'd use it, and wouldn't mind paying as well. Of course, it depends on how many people would use it, though.

I personally would go for a mixed approach: something like the basic features (find players nearby and basic filters and such) for free, and include other features, such as, say, some kind of planner or integration with battlescribe, or even social network integration, as a paid service. The player finder for free is almost a necessity because you need to get a user base, which is easier that way.

BTW: you seriously need some kind of "game style" tag to add: "competitive", "fluffy", "reenactment", "B&P" and such.

I may be willing to help, too.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
Loriel

#5 Post by Loriel »

agree on shadeseraph that in order to get people actual using it, basic and fundamental features in the app needs to be free. For this really work, it will need many users.

Some kind of reputation system might work with app well. Similar to Boardgamearena where you can + or - your opponent.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame