Two wishes about griffons

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Knight of the Raven

Two wishes about griffons

#1 Post by Knight of the Raven »

Am I the only one who wish mages and archmages could ride a griffon? And to mitigate the mount being about as armored as the rider, am I alone in wishing for a barded griffon?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Two wishes about griffons

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm with you on the first half. Not really into the barding though.
Mentheus of Chrace

#3 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Griffon barding seems pretty logical to me.
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Eirik

#4 Post by Eirik »

Everyone knows that an armored horse provides more protection than a griffon or dragon (or about as much as a large pig).
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

I think the lack of barding is fairly reasonable - it would hamper their flying abilities. I also agree that other characters should be able to ride them. Maybe use Eltharion as a mage if you really want to do this?
hewhorocks

#6 Post by hewhorocks »

Instead of armor why not a Griffon being equivalent to a 5+? Who knows what the new edition will bring...the days of being safer on an eagle than on a dragon may soon be over.
My army http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35197

A GT in New Orleans? Sounds great where do I sign up? http://www.paulscoc.com/
Knight of the Raven

#7 Post by Knight of the Raven »

My wishes are more for models than rules; I'd love to see a mage on griffon (especially if she shares the aesthetics of the druchii sorceress, however unlikely that would be) or armor on the beast. Barding protecting only the front like the Isle of Blood reavers would look good in my opinion.
Davariel
Chronicler

#8 Post by Davariel »

It doesn't really bother me that griffons don't have barding, they don't really strike me as the sort of creature you'd put armour on. I find it much weirder that Pegasus Knights don't get it even though the models are clearly wearing barding!

And if you want a mage on griffon, there's always the wizarding hat... :lol:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

Modelling wise I don't think it will change a lot. But rumors are pointing to monsters + riders getting combined profiles, similar to the special characters in the ET. Which would mean the griffon would end up with t5, 7w and 8a (or however they add it up) and whatever armor the character can carry. Also, with s5 from the griffon, there would be less need to give the character an uber-magic weapon opening up some of the other lovely weapons, armor or other magic items which all the s5 character out there can use.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#10 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I really hope they don't combine them end times style. I'd be pretty happy if they did it like they do with eagles. But please not end times style.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

The difference would be minimal though. You get a few extra wounds and attacks compared to what an eagle gives, but that's pretty much it.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#12 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Those extra wounds make a difference, and when all the attacks end up at the higher strength it also makes a difference. The only way to fight those monsters will be with other monsters. If they end up combined the end times way it'll quickly turn into monster hammer.
John Rainbow

#13 Post by John Rainbow »

A combined profile griffon would still get merked by Chaos Warriors and other comparable infantry. They wouldn't be all that good. Better? yes. Game ending? No. Certainly not another Imrik.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#14 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Right, but the rumors are looking like it would be all monsters. So while it might be fine with a griffon there would be major problems with a dragon. And we all know which direction the power creep tends to run.

And why not just combine it the way they have with eagles and the like? I don't think there have been any real problems with that system, unless I've missed something.